Will KPop be able to continue to control the initiative in 2021?

• The person in my sig has announced she will release her album 'in the first half of 2021', which means she has up to June to strike a blow against a major KPop act (most likely BTS).

Meanwhile, this year is already 1/10 past but only Gidle's HWAA has won music bank out of newer idols. The rest of the wins were bts' August song, plus the songs of Yunho (debuted 2004) and Lee Jieun (debuted 2008).

Although they did not collide this time, a rematch of this Jan 2011 bout did take place metaphorically

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

when DBSK and Lee Jieun had collided.

====

Although there are still many acts in KPop, because of the atomization of the industry and the proliferation of trottists, KPop acts now target smaller and smaller segments of i-fans and it becomes harder to maintain its edge around the world.

BTS will still stand like a big mountain, but the slow advances of newer acts do concern me a lot while the older acts show no sign of going away.

Blackpink will be active and Seventeen will probably gain ground, but Seventeen is not a newer act either.

As a philosopher and a student of history, Whyknock is now a bit concerned about the fact that KPop might not be able to maintain its edge in the year 2021, especially when acts in other countries begin to have concerts but Korean acts are not allowed to do so and not allowed to leave Korea to perform.

• interesting perspective...but you must remember that there are new avenues for fans to see their idols online concerts and fan meets are just some of the ways...

Given that BTS for BG and BP for GG will continue their growth in 2021 I see no signs of kpop slowing down

• The person in my sig has announced she will release her album 'in the first half of 2021', which means she has up to June to strike a blow against a major KPop act (most likely BTS).

There's no sig in your sig.

Well, Korea is not that interested in K-pop as we can observe from the MelOn chart. Only Dynamite, Life Goes On and Lovesick Girls did well. We need to wait and see how much room is still there for international growth.

• Concerts are still being cancelled in the US. And given that idol music is a niche even in Korea, there's really no reason to panic.

• I think most Koreans lost interest and in some years from now the rest of the world is going to follow.

I dunno, people have been saying Kpop is a fad that will die out for 20 years now, i even remember people saying it during Lee Hyori times (I didnt care back then i wasnt into Kpop at all). The only thing Kpop has done is blow up to become the 7th largest genre in the world. For a genre that is based on language spoken by like 2 percent of the world's population at most...it's freaking incredible.

BTS of course is a big chunk of the industry for sure but even when they peak and fade away slowly, Kpop will evolve and morph into something different.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!