BigHit Entertainment's western success happened organically

• You mean BTS’ success. Has BH ever replicated their success in the West? :wellr:

This further proves it was organic and there was no strategy . If there was BH surely could implement this grand plan again but no.

BTS is BTS and companies are gonna be hard pressed to replicate the level of success because they don't have RM,Jin,Suga,Jhope,Jimin,V,JK. 8o

• BH only started to promote BTS in the west when US army demanded it of them. That's the factual timeline. The existence 8f the chain of distribution of physical is directly attributed to army.

Bh have only started recently promoting in other markets like india and europe. It seems they only promote once they feel there is a big established fandom.

• Was American Hustle not a way to get connections and smell a bit of the American music market? It seems like they always wanted to enter it sooner or later. And they had western collabs after it too and that was before 2017.

• Was American Hustle not a way to get connections and smell a bit of the American music market? It seems like they always wanted to enter it sooner or later.

No there was actually nothing done between american hustle and before they got their first invitation to billboard years later . Only then did bh started actually seeing the US as a viable market.

• Let's turn back the clock to 2017 for a bit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel like BigHit didn't actually do much to start BTS's success in the western world. BTS naturally gained fans all over the world, and they didn't have to adopt a western sound to do so. I think that's a pretty way of achieving western success. Of course, they capitalized on their success and made moves to further it, which worked out in their favor.

I guess that it can be rather hard for K-pop groups to gain Western success organically, after all :wellr: ... I mean, these days, you'll have heard of YouTube channels that promote their videos through TrueView ads (and need I mention how a number of K-pop companies appear to have used them to promote their MVs, which in turn gets them more views :whatr: ?).

nothing here for now hehe (/▽\)

• No there was actually nothing done between american hustle and before they got their first invitation to billboard years later . Only then did bh started actually seeing the US as a viable market.

Hmm google says something different …

RM Fantastic Four Soundtrack and his callab with Warren G PDD this was in 2015. Their collab with Wale and Steve Aoki in 2017 this happened between BB invitation( I guess). Idk if that counts, but i’m sure some of the members hosted Kcon in 2016 and also toured there. Sure it wasn’t big as now and the real focus on the US came after 2017, but you can still tell that BH was already interested in the market, which isn’t a bad thing. Having connections is always better before signing into a label in a foreign country.

• the chance of promotion came from Armys demand and it works bcs of Army's constant demands, why the demand keep coming? Yeah thanks to BTS, their existences, their arts :yesr:

• Hmm google says something different …

RM Fantastic Four Soundtrack and his callab with Warren G PDD this was in 2015. Their collab with Wale and Steve Aoki in 2017 this happened between BB invitation( I guess). Idk if that counts, but i’m sure some of the members hosted Kcon in 2016 and also toured there. Sure it wasn’t big as now and the real focus on the US came after 2017, but you can still tell that BH was already interested in the market, which isn’t a bad thing. Having connections is always better before signing into a label in a foreign country.

So your example is 2 RM solo endeavors that did nothing to further BTS's the group brand in the US. M not even gonna touch on kcon as a thing to expand in the us market when kpop was the biggest niche at the time .

This is what actually bang pd said back in 2016 :

https://onehallyu.com/topic/421936-...p-singer-advancing-to-the-us-is-overreaching/
    "BTS has their strength as KPOP artist and I believe they reached where they're today by maximizing this point so we plan to continue focusing on their growth as KPOP artist. We'd be grateful when BTS is able to enter the US mainstream chart if the attention they receive now doesn't end here but I think it's overreaching for us to officially prepare for overseas expansion."

There is nothing wrong about recongnizing and wantibg to he big in the US except it's not factualky true to say bh did steps to make that come to fruition before billboard.

Only in 2017 when US army started screaming for bh to pay attention then the focus actually shifted.

• Trust me. I thought of this, too, but I'm talking specifically about steps BigHit and BTS made to gain popularity in the West. American Hustle may have prepared them well for working in the western world and knowing what to expect, but I don't think it made them more popular to westerners who didn't previously know of them, at least not to a significant degree.

Sure it wasn’t what got them the popularity, but they definitely had interest entering the market and did probably prepared for it a little. Well at the end BTS was able to gain popularity there for various other reasons.

You may have a point with the western collaborations. RM did have a song with American rapper Wale after all, and this was way before their mainstream breakthrough in the West. However, I don't think this was necessarily something that pushed them ahead; most western fans probably don't even know RM had a song with Wale, for instance. It was a cool thing for RM to do, still, because it was something he probably dreamed of doing for a while.

It wasn’t a collab to get the big breakthrough for sure, but it was definitely a little push in the right direction. I think most collabs are something the Artists dreamed of. Tbh I think many western fans don’t know much about BTS before 2017. I was actually following them for a while till 2017.

• More like 2016 when Wings scored 26 on BB 200 with Monday release and 100% korean focused promotion.

Armys took the chance to demand bighit bcs celarly BTS have potential, and the support went stronger for the fact that how much industry still downplaying the best selling artist and the daesang winner BTS that year.

Their international fans has always been bigger since they debut hence why they gathered such crowd for Kcon, warren g collab was from their connection in AHL and that was for his mixtape promo.

• BH would have not left Asia without ARMY begging them to sell their music in the US too.

To be honest, it was a different times. After Psy's success, some company had tried to their luck with the US market without success. BH was still a small company in comparision to the Big 3, and promoting in the US would be literally throwing money by the window at that time.

That said I don't like the word 'organic' :boredr: I'd rather say it was fandom-motivated, rather than company-motivated.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!