It's been 30 years now and JYP is still trying to break the American market.

• Official Post

It would work if JYPE actually tried and put effort.

Should've capitalized on Ryujin's shoulder move going viral everywhere but here we are, now ITZY are using those dumb zepeto dolls for their MVs..for what exactly? Also the English lyrics for Not Shy are wack and I wouldn't be surprised the lyrics for other songs were just as bad. Doing something stupid and they don't even know how to do it correctly. I keep saying this time, money and resources could've been used for a comeback or Japanese debut. :rolleyes:

• ITZY only just started promoting in America now... Twice as well.

Things are different now, OP and I have faith in ITZY. I doubt JYPE would want to go through everything that happened again.

• It would work if JYPE actually tried and put effort.

Should've capitalized on Ryujin's shoulder move going viral everywhere but here we are, now ITZY are using those dumb zepeto dolls for their MVs even though that doesn't mean shit anywhere but Korea despite the fact that this album is targeted towards the west. Doing something stupid and they don't even know how to do it correctly. :rolleyes:

I completely agree, actually. Wannabe should've been their "western debut song," Not, Not Shy.

• there is no harm in trying though. they'll get there when they get there!

also, it's not just jyp. it's also sm and other companies.

bh and yg are the only ones successful to chart in hot 100, 200, spotify, apple, etc. simultaneously during release.

• I don't think people realize that not every company prioritizes the U.S. market the same way BigHit Entertainment and YG Entertainment do. Most companies still have the Asian market as their top priority even if they might make a push for the western market every now and then. The K-pop industry isn't centered around the western market.

That would be true if sm wasn't also obsessed with the american market, he's been trying for a loooong time, even with snsd which never really worked. They probably tried even more than yg and bighit. They literally made superm just for that purpose, heavy bundled them and there were even receipts of some sales not being actually from the u.s

• Nobody tries harder than LSM to have their group breakout in the west lol

SuperM literally exists

• Official Post

I completely agree, actually. Wannabe should've been their "western debut song," Not, Not Shy.

The fact that Wannabe went viral for Ryujin's shoulder move is going to give people more familiarity, obviously. Maybe they should've made it a TikTok challenge too. Not Shy doesn't have that reach, if you know what I mean.

And I feel like there should've been an original English song that gave the fans(and maybe non-fans) an incentive to stream and carry the album. Otherwise everyone is obviously going to prefer the Korean version lol.

• i hate negativity like this.

BH and YG hell succeeded even sm topped billboard 200. Jyp has every reason to try.

Twice gonna do it you wait!

I definitely wouldn't say SM has broken anybody in the West-- you mean, SuperM!?

And don't hold your breath with Twice. Don't they need to practice on singing live and give better performances at their concerts first before they start thinking about America? Western audiences are not gonna put up with a group lipsyncing all the way through a concert or giving stilted performances all through the night when they personally pay money to see one of their personal concert and not at K-CON or festival of some kind.

• ITZY only just started promoting in America now... Twice as well.

Things are different now, OP and I have faith in ITZY. I doubt JYPE would want to go through everything that happened again.

If we have learn anything from the past, it is to never underestimate the detrimental effects of JYP's ego.

• That would be true if sm wasn't also obsessed with the american market, he's been trying for a loooong time, even with snsd which never really worked. They probably tried even more than yg and bighit. They literally made superm just for that purpose, heavy bundled them and there were even receipts of some sales not being actually from the u.s

No wonder Billboard got really pissed off at K-pop after their initial enthusiasm for it.

• I completely agree, actually. Wannabe should've been their "western debut song," Not, Not Shy.

"Wannabe" could be a good debut for a Radio Disney pre-teen/teen audience. It could be a good placement in the right animated movie too. I don't think the teams at JYPE are being mindful if they are planning a "full-tilt promotion" of a full-English version of "Not Shy" that isn't up to par lyrically. Especially the version that is available. It leaves a bad feeling in my gut. There is a high chance of being in the same boat as "Make A Wish (Birthday Song)" which was lyrically disappointing.

The last song out with similar musical elements was Jennifer Lopez's "Medicine" and even that was a little dated and didn't do anything. It is in the same funky neighborhood as "Get Right" and Amerie's "1 Thing" which are "throwback" sounds although Funk is eternal.

Now if they update the English version to be more current and do a well coordinated official global "Not Shy" Tik Tok challenge, then they might reach more casual western eyes and ears organically.

• i hate negativity like this.

BH and YG hell succeeded even sm topped billboard 200. Jyp has every reason to try.

Twice gonna do it you wait!

The only reason why twice hasn’t top on BB209 is because of Jyp. U.S. once wasn’t available to buy the album until December and they under stocked them.

• ???

SM, YG and JYP definitely tried it wayyyyy harder than Bighit with Bts.

I didn't see BTS attending American shows before they had their demand and success there. All the promotions and and the stuff happened after BTS take over in the West.

I can't say the same with the big3.

Especially JYP and SM with 0.1% demand and no charting in the Hot100 they send NCT to the AMAs just for the Red carpet.

The same with itzy now, did they had any demands or high charting for realsing a English song?

• Kpop is marginal bigger in the US than 5 years ago.

Take BTS out and the success from the 3rd generation groups are not really outstanding bigger than the success from the 2nd generation groups.

• I listened to the whole English mini-album. The most effective versions are "Wannabe" and "Icy". They sound like Radio Disney featured smashes. In the back of my mind, Itzy has a group aura like a current SK version of Spice Girls if the group was formed a lot earlier. I wouldnt' be surprised if these two songs catches some ears outside of teens in the US and in the UK. "Not Shy" and "Dalla Dalla" have word choices that don't fit being edgier songs that well.

I rank the songs in this order (by "listenability" and replay value) :

1. Wannabe
    2. Icy
    3. Dalla Dalla
    4. Not Shy
  • This thread contains 14 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!