Does everyone agree that SM Idols have the best vocals?

• Why aren't SM idols always nominated in the best vocal performance category of MAMA?

I would expect Baekhyun, DO, Taeyeon and Wendy to be among the nominees this year. Especially Taeyeon because she's been killing it more since her solo debut and Baekhyun because he killed it with Bambi and the entire album. That's his best vocal performance ever.

It doesn't make sense to me because they are the best vocalists active.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• And there's Kyuhyun and Ryeowok, then the Nct boys!

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Vocal powered song and having good vocalists is not necessarily the same thing always.

That can be said about non SM idols and songs but SM songs are always vocal powered songs especially the titles. I mean that's why they always have 2 or more above average vocalists in every group. Even a hip-hop genre song in SM has powerful vocals at some point.

And all soloists should be average and above by the time they debut as soloists.

• Yes they do,which is why I get annoyed when they sometimes try to push the rap/hip-hop sound over fully utilizing their great vocalists.

I think they balance it really well especially because, for SM albums, the b-sides are the best so if the title is not satisfying enough, go to the b-sides and you'll find all the beautiful vocals that you want.

• Agreed! Every single group of theirs has at least one amazing vocalist, and many of their groups have many amazing vocalists, tbh the same can't be said for other companies - I mean some other companies have groups with at least one stand-out vocalist like Apink (Eunji), Sistar (Hyorin), Beast (Yoseob), Btob (Eunkwang), Mamamoo (all of their vocalists), Exid (Solji), but alot of groups from other companies don't at least have that one vocalist that's really good, I would say SM is the only company that actually has that

• It's been SME's flagship strength for a "minute". I think they don't consistently have the songs that showcase their vocals in the best possible light though.

Yes they do,which is why I get annoyed when they sometimes try to push the rap/hip-hop sound over fully utilizing their great vocalists.

A recent example in approach is NCT's "Focus". The singing was "A1" and flexed in a flattering way. I think SME needs to be intentional in letting a couple more "singer only vibe" tracks exist that aren't super traditional.

• The most outstanding ones are in SM (exo has 3 main vocals and Wendy can sing sing) but imo it's a lie to say all of their idols are above average, some aren't

Kyuhyun and Ryeowok are the best SM male vocalists, in fact Kyuhyun is the best male idol Kpop vocalist.

For the ladies, Taeyeon is the strongest in SM but Wendy has more potential because she has 4 octaves while Taeyeon has only 2.

And no, not all their idols are above average but all their vocal line idols and soloists are average and above.

• No they don't agree.

The other day I had someone tell me that no one could sing in SM and that their ears were bleeding after they listened to KRY :pepe-hehe:

Whoever said that is deaf, periodT.

• Yes they do and it's no surprise that I have been a fan of SM groups over the years.

They don't give you a chance to focus on other idols because they are so good.

• Yes absolutely, and it’s not even just main vocalists, their leads and sub-vocals are usually very solid as well. SM have just been very consistent with their vocals over the years and their vocals always meet a certain standard

True, I can't stop listening to the KAI album.

• Definitely. When you think about the best singers in Kpop, SM singers usually lead that list and the depth across groups is particularly impressive. It’s not just one singer in a group or even two, it’s mind-boggling.

..............................................................................................................perfume

1a8e5b24bf1c6ccaa1e5bd8ca4a707841e1abe65.gif31addbb43f8bc3a9c9e7fff75dd7f232c5839f1f.gifd752226429a326c0a6d90dfff22926c1961158d1.gif

• Not like they used to.

SM used to have THE vocalist(s) of the generation.

But now that is no longer the case

Nct vocalists individually aren't as good as BaekDoChen and Kyuhyun and Ryeowok but as a group Nct easily stands out and represents among all younger idols who debuted after Exo.

For Red Velvet, Wendy and Seulgi are very good.

Aespa still needs time to showcase their vocals.

Besides, SM idols have always been all rounders so I guess Nct's hip-hop concept takes attention away from their vocals.

• I thought it was common knowledge that SM idols are always in the running when talking about best singers in kpop, because frankly, they are.

MAMA doesn't agree.

• SM objectively puts out the most consistent vocalists. Other companies will have one or two standouts but in a way that makes it clear that it's the result of the idols work not the company. Luna is one of the best girl group vocals which was a direct result of her natural talent on top of the company's rigorous training as she auditioned as a dancer and had little to no vocal skills at the time.

• The problem with these awards (The best vocals performances) or whatever is that the nominations are determined by the song's popularity and not really the skill level that they require to sing.

Some of the picks in the OP deserves a nomination this year but not all because while they are indeed great vocalists, their songs in 2021 weren't really challenging to sing.

Agreed! Every single group of theirs has at least one amazing vocalist, and many of their groups have many amazing vocalists, tbh the same can't be said for other companies - I mean some other companies have groups with at least one stand-out vocalist like Apink (Eunji), Sistar (Hyorin), Beast (Yoseob), Btob (Eunkwang), Mamamoo (all of their vocalists), Exid (Solji), but alot of groups from other companies don't at least have that one vocalist that's really good, I would say SM is the only company that actually has that

No offense here but Sistar lead vocalist, Soyou is better than the lead vocalist in some SM groups or on part with some of them like Seulgi or Winter. A case could be made too with BTOB Changsub or even Sungjae for example. Some of these groups can compete with some SM groups overall (not just the vocal line) but I get your point. SM have overall the strongest vocal groups with the strongest vocal lines. They care more about debuting idols with good vocals than others companies.

dbed960a80097dc7d9eac973b7be5f732ec99c98.gifv  1f251c53cf32e8a39ff30f639687b517129b0205.gifv  8ce6cd0f2729463446ccbc09563cc6ad65a72d09.gifv

• Kyuhyun and Ryeowok are the best SM male vocalists, in fact Kyuhyun is the best male idol Kpop vocalist.

For the ladies, Taeyeon is the strongest in SM but Wendy has more potential because she has 4 octaves while Taeyeon has only 2.

I didn't call them the strongest in SM, but it was more like an example. I meant the strongest vocals in general are in Sm but now that I'm reading my comment again, it does seem like I meant it a different way. I just mentioned the ones I listen to the most, but you're right Taeyeon and the two members from suju are really good.

• The problem with these awards (The best vocals performances) or whatever is that the nominations are determined by the song's popularity and not really the skill level that they require to sing.

Some of the picks in the OP deserves a nomination this year but not all because while they are indeed great vocalists, their songs in 2021 weren't really challenging to sing.

No offense here but Sistar lead vocalist, Soyou is better than the lead vocalist in some SM groups or on part with some of them like Seulgi or Winter. A case could be made too with BTOB Changsub or even Sungjae for example. Some of these groups can compete with some SM groups overall (not just the vocal line) but I get your point. SM have overall the strongest vocal groups with the strongest vocal lines. They care more about debuting idols with good vocals than others companies.

Oh yeah I know some of the groups I mentioned have other vocalists who are pretty good, I would just consider them more like you said Seulgi level, which means they definitely have some level of vocal skill but it's like comparing Seulgi to Wendy lol, Wendy is just obviously better even if Seulgi can sing herself

• MAMA doesn't agree.

For Tae it makes no sense. Ok weekend didn't require Taeyeon level vocals so I can understand her not being nominated for best singer but best dance? She's done 100x more difficult stuff for SNSD and her concerts have more engaging routines for her album tracks than weekend. It really doesn't make sense.

I think it could possibly be a way to entice Tae to appear on mama by having a few nominations. But honestly I don't she should attend after they let her to dry last time with the Wiz khalifa bs.

• Oh yeah I know some of the groups I mentioned have other vocalists who are pretty good, I would just consider them more like you said Seulgi level, which means they definitely have some level of vocal skill but it's like comparing Seulgi to Wendy lol, Wendy is just obviously better even if Seulgi can sing herself

My point was more than since these groups have one very good main vocalist but also great lead vocalists then they are equal to some of SM groups. If you consider that Sistar have Hyorin, Soyou and that Red Velvet have Wendy and Seulgi then their vocals are probably around the same level as a group since Yeri, Joy and Irene can also sing nicefully and Dasom and Bora too (even if these two were overshadowed by Hyorin and Soyou and so people pretended the contrary but live performances don't lie).

I would even argue that if you consider technique only (I never do that) then Sistar is stronger than f(x) vocally as Soyou is better than Krystal and the rest of f(x) while Hyorin and Luna are somewhere around the same level.

I also consider the Eunkwang, Changsub and Youngjae vocal line equal to some of SM groups vocal line.

So in some of these groups that you gave as example, it's not only the main vocalist who is great.

dbed960a80097dc7d9eac973b7be5f732ec99c98.gifv  1f251c53cf32e8a39ff30f639687b517129b0205.gifv  8ce6cd0f2729463446ccbc09563cc6ad65a72d09.gifv

• This thread contains 6 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!