sm girl group vocal rankings

• This is based on my opinion and observation. You can agree or disagree. It’s all in good fun. (Side note: i know they’re good vocalists but I don’t know enough of ses and csjh members’ vocals to rank them so they’re not included)

SNSD Tae>Jess=Seo>Tiff>Sunny>Soo>Yuri>Hyo>Yoona

F(x)

Luna>Krystal>Amber>Victoria=Sulli

Red Velvet

Wendy>Seulgi>Joy>Irene>Yeri

Aespa

Ningning>Winter>Karina>Giselle

I tried to rank them altogether but it got hard and convoluted towards the middle and end so I kind of gave up. Aespa are rookies and don’t have enough material but they have potential to improve with more experience. So here’s my attempt at ranking them all.

Luna>Taeyeon>Wendy>Jess=Seo=Ningning>Tiff>Sun>\=Winter>Seulgi>Joy=Krystal=Karina>Amber>Sooyoung>Yuri=Giselle>/=Hyo>Irene=Yoona=Victoria=Sulli>Yeri

Group vocal ranking

snsd>aespa=red velvet>fx

What do you think? What’s your vocal ranking with all of them?

• Sounds pretty solid to me. I'm not a vocal coach but I think this is the general consensus.

For overall however, I would put aespa above Red Velvet, that's my hot take :)

Edit: Actually idk we don't have enough live content for aespa and I DO prefer Red Velvet's harmonies but that doesn't really play into their technique.

I also think aespa on average might be vocally better than red velvet but since there’s not enough content yet I just put them on par with red velvet for now. We’ll see when more time passes.

• Definitely not enough live material yet to say for certain but from the limited things I’ve heard imo it seems like Karina might be slightly stronger than Joy and Krystal

I wasn’t sure where to put Karina. I was struggling where to put her, Giselle and a couple others. It’s hard to judge with limited content. But I can see her being a better vocalist than others but Idk between Joy and Krystal.

• I honestly doubt that Karina is a better singer than Joy. You should listen to her solo album, she’s amazingly talented

Joy has a stronger musicality but she's very shallow (she does it on purpose to get her vocal color but that means she's a very airy vocalist like Giselle) while Karina was believed to be the lead predebut, and she is probably closer to Seulgi than Joy

I'd edit it

Luna>>>> Taeyeon>Wendy > Jess/Ningning/Seo >> Tiffany (has improved in Roxie) >>> Sunny(pre regression she'd be stronger)/Winter > Seulgi > Karina >(debut Yuri before regression)>>> Yuri > Giselle = Krystal = Amber (somehow Amber improved haha, Yuri was always stronger than Sooyoung by FAR with support even though I love Soo) > Joy (airy but Giselle seems more connected so I put her ahead, after Karina, there's a gap and these are all similar) >> Sooyoung > Hyo > Irene/Yoona > Yeri >> Victoria = Sulli

So overall:

1. Lina

------

1. Luna

2. Taeyeon

3. Wendy

----

4. Dana (with regression, at debut she was closer to Wendy)

4. Jessica? (she's so inconsistent)

5. Ningning

6. Boa** (regressed but may go back up)

7. Seohyun

----

8. Tiffany

9. Sunny (pre-regression, unsure how she is post-regression)

9. Stephanie (CSJH's sub vocalist)

9. Winter

10. Sunday (CSJH's sub vocalist

10. Seulgi

11. Karina (very strong support in her mix, second-best lows in Aespa if she keeps up her approach)

12. Debut Yuri (had a supported range but was slightly weaker than Karina)

-- gap --

12. Actual Yuri (lmao)

13. Krystal

14. Giselle

15. Amber

16. Joy

17. Sooyoung

18. Hyoyeon

19. Irene

20. Yoona

21. Yeri

22/23. Victoria

23/22. Sulli

BOLDED are CSJH the Grace, but at their peaks. After they left the kpop industry, all of them regressed after having children. I only included Dana's because it happened in the industry.

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content youtu.be

Karina support is very solid and consistent even since predebut she might even be better than what she is now

Also Karina supported a Bb4 and I don't recall joy supporting Bb4 before

• It was hard to rank the members between Joy and Giselle on my list. I just made it in the spur of the moment in the middle of the night but I can see where you’re coming from. I was iffy on where to put these people especially Karina but thanks for the insight. I can see Karina vocally above them.

SendFoodPics ranking is actually more accurate I lowballed Yuri and Gave joy too much credit

• wasn’t Wendy better than Taeyeon at some point? Did she regress or did Taeyeon improve (I know she’s improved a lot these past few years).

Also interesting that pre-regression Sunny is above Seulgi!

For the comment about SES, it’s no use lol. Eugene and Shoo were Sulli level and Bada is the only notable vocalist there and she’s probably Seohyun level

• wasn’t Wendy better than Taeyeon at some point? Did she regress or did Taeyeon improve (I know she’s improved a lot these past few years).

For the comment about SES, it’s no use lol. Eugene and Shoo were Sulli level and Bada is the only notable vocalist there and she’s probably Seohyun level

Taeyeon improved! Wendy has been stable since debut.

I don't think Wendy was ever better though, Taeyeon had her regression Twinkle era as well while Wendy didn't ever need to strain that much. I think Wendy has a chance if she improves her nasality placement so she can FINALLY achieve resonance, she's better at her highest range than Taeyeon.

Bada wasn't that low, Ningning is Seohyun level, Bada started off like Ningning (probably above her because Bada had resonance but she also had tongue tension) but by her next comeback, was firmly established behind Wendy, she's a competent.

She's also heady so she doesn't get as easily affected by strain than other singers even though she strains often. Bada's not agile though, Ningning is wayyyy stronger than her at that even at debut. 1st gen had less agility anyways besides RnB groups.

I'd put Eugene above Victoria around Yeri, she can project and has okay pitch while both Victoria and Sulli struggled with projection and pitch respectively.

• If they’re that level good why haven’t sm let them do a live performance yet?

hmm level good doesn't mean anything for ranges in their songs. Like say those high notes were strained so they're trying to minimize singing them, but that doesn't mean their technique isn't good. Even Shinee, are singing prerecorded earlier this year for stages. It's a way to preserve the voice (not that I agree, SM just give them less impossible parts) , heck even EXO couldn't handle the Wolf ending consistently except maybe Chen but Chen is smart and he does know how to layer his voice to minimize strain.

Aespa were meant to be NCT x SES x CSJH which they really are, they and CSJH have the least differences in member's singing levels.

On Sunny, she was very inconsistent but she probably has one of the best head voices in kpop, and she is resonant.

Seulgi has a LOT of tongue tension sadly, which is a shame because her lows are stronger than Sunny AND Winter, but Winter has the cleaner mix, Sunny has the head voice (had the potential to be one of the best head voices in kpop) and her mix could be good on a good day.

While she had weak lows and a stranger mix, she was just really off with pitch. She reminds me of Jihyo, average vocalists who do not get their due because of pitch.

Like :

External Content www.youtube.com
    (resonance, proper placement, although whiny at higher parts )

And :

External Content www.youtube.com
    (off pitch)

I always wanted her to really develop that voice but it's okay that she never did.

• Taeyeon improved! Wendy has been stable since debut.

I don't think Wendy was ever better though, Taeyeon had her regression Twinkle era as well while Wendy didn't ever need to strain that much. I think Wendy has a chance if she improves her nasality placement so she can FINALLY achieve resonance, she's better at her highest range than Taeyeon.

Bada wasn't that low, Ningning is Seohyun level, Bada started off like Ningning (probably above her because Bada had resonance but she also had tongue tension) but by her next comeback, was firmly established behind Wendy, she's a competent.

She's also heady so she doesn't get as easily affected by strain than other singers even though she strains often. Bada's not agile though, Ningning is wayyyy stronger than her at that even at debut. 1st gen had less agility anyways besides RnB groups.

I'd put Eugene above Victoria around Yeri, she can project and has okay pitch while both Victoria and Sulli struggled with projection and pitch respectively.

Bada a competent? I've always put her at Above Average at best. Ock Joohyun is a competent for me and imo she's better than Bada.

Interesting re: Eugene, I've never heard anything that puts her above Yeri, but then again, I've only listened to SES's old title tracks.

Speaking of 1st Gen, let's talk about the trainwreck male main vocalists lmao. Only Kim Taewoo knew how to support out of all the major groups. Kangta is probably SM's worst main vocalist.

• Bada a competent? I've always put her at Above Average at best. Ock Joohyun is a competent for me and imo she's better than Bada.

Interesting re: Eugene, I've never heard anything that puts her above Yeri, but then again, I've only listened to SES's old title tracks.

Speaking of 1st Gen, let's talk about the trainwreck male main vocalists lmao. Only Kim Taewoo knew how to support out of all the major groups. Kangta is probably SM's worst main vocalist.

Her higher mix I think is good enough but she's the weakest Competent vocalist (Hyorin has improved, Eunji is Eunji haha) so you're right. (kinda like Jea in Above Average) She has resonance as well, and she can resonante in her head voice too, I think maybe F5 during Mad? I need to check. Her head voice can be pushy though, but biggest problems are nasality and tongue tension.

I'd put Eugene at the same level as Yeri haha, Yeri is honestly prob a bit stronger? Eugene can just project but that's kinda it....poor Victoria isn't on pitch quite often.

Ock Joohyun is a very good Competent I would even call her a low Good now? She debuted as an Average - Above Average, but after being ignored in Fin Kl went to train for musicals and learned a lot. She went to probably Good? at her best but then found the style that works for her. She has her jaw tension + vibrato but that doesn't change her cleaner execution, proper phrasing, and her monstrous resonance. Her chest mix is very good, I think she's consistent with her transitions. She improved the most AFTER Fin Kl though. She's better than Bada and I'm saying this as a SES fan, musicals did her wonders. I wanted to see her in person one day.

Look at Idina vs her version of Defying Gravity (she doesn't even speak english but she sounds way clearer than Idina because of her technique, and Idina is a competent herself I believe?)

Ock Joohyun is far stronger than Bada for sure.

Oh 1st gen vocalists, Fly to the Sky I fell in love with because of their technique after all that I heard. Especially Hwanhee's technique.

MILK too......rip Hyunjin as the main vocalist, easily the weakest SM female main vocal.

and Kangta, Changmin too is not technical, only Junsu and Jaejoong were, SUJU honestly brought the vocals to SM in a huge way for males after Fly to the Sky and Black Beat dropped.

HOT were honestly not with a standout vocal.

But like Papaya, Koyote, whoever even sang in Shinvi...etc. Bada was a breath of fresh air then.

Kim Yeonji of Seeya was probably the best vocalist since debut, constantly retaining her level.

• Oh I forgot Fly To The Sky. They were great. But HOT and Shinhwa weren’t great.

Musicals helped Ock Joohyun loads, I really want to see one of them live.

Was Hyunjin the main vocalist of MILK? I thought it was Bomi?

• Wait when did Sunny regress?

• Oh I forgot Fly To The Sky. They were great. But HOT and Shinhwa weren’t great.

Musicals helped Ock Joohyun loads, I really want to see one of them live.

Was Hyunjin the main vocalist of MILK? I thought it was Bomi?

Hyunjin was probably the main because Bomi was weaker than her tbh, but I mean shallow land.

Also soloists, J-Min was VERY good, Zhang Liyin is a competent (another HUGE improvement from Above Average to Competent) stronger than Bada probably around Eunji? Her head voice could pull her ahead of Tae/Wendy but she was always inconsistent with it and she's so inactive so idk but she's very strong.

Hwanhee was the best male vocalist until Kyuhyun had his massive improvement.

• After SNSD (more than regressed Sunny was always inconsistent but she didn't continue the consistent upkeep she did in SNSD so she technically "regressed" but not by much and if she wants to go back I think she can do so easily, and even develop more).

Ahh ok I gotcha, I thought you meant she significantly regressed like Hyorin or Taemin (although I know Hyorin has kind of improved her vocal skill after her regression)

• Ahh ok I gotcha, I thought you meant she significantly regressed like Hyorin or Taemin (although I know Hyorin has kind of improved her vocal skill after her regression)

Oh that was both one of the biggest regressions in kpop, again Taemin's was expected because he improved so much and he's still an AA, the best 4th gen main along w Baekhyun if we consider SuperM rookie. Hyorin is improving, she's back in Competent, she's being careful but I think bad habits caused it at first, she had to carry SISTAR at first which caused it.

Sunny's is like Taeil's regression, not that huge because they were able to develop it and are working to bring it back in the case of Taeil. Most regressions aren't that dramatic. V had a regression but it wasn't huge. So did Leo, heck a lot of older vocalists too, Yesung had a pretty big one (still a top AA vocalist), the Black Beat member.

She's fine.

• Oh that was both one of the biggest regressions in kpop, again Taemin's was expected because he improved so much and he's still an AA, the best 4th gen main along w Baekhyun if we consider SuperM rookie. Hyorin is improving, she's back in Competent, she's being careful but I think bad habits caused it at first, she had to carry SISTAR at first which caused it.

Sunny's is like Taeil's regression, not that huge because they were able to develop it and are working to bring it back in the case of Taeil. Most regressions aren't that dramatic. V had a regression but it wasn't huge. So did Leo, heck a lot of older vocalists too, Yesung had a pretty big one (still a top AA vocalist), the Black Beat member.

She's fine.

it’ll be tough not to regress with all the concerts, 6 days of music shows, and the screeching Kpop producers make these vocalists do lol

• This thread contains 2 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!