Girl Group Power Rankings

• Similar to sports power rankings, think of this as the current state of gg relevance/success, with a slice of context thrown in. Ideally as objective as possible, hard as it is....

Curious to see how everyone else sees the state of kpop GGs at the moment. I'm by no means an expert, more a casual fan that lurks on forums like this...

No disbanded groups of course, and this is just for fun so be nice please ;-)

1. Blackpink - Still the biggest GG in Kpop, even if it's ages between comebacks. One of the few groups that can retain it's relevance outside of promotional periods.
    2. Twice - Not doing quite as well as they used to, but still out of reach of most ggs. Alcohol free's somewhat underwhelming performance can be chalked up to the song itself IMO.
    3. Brave Girls - Meteoric rise and still riding that wave. Time will tell whether they will be the next EXID, Momoland, Crayon Pop, or the first Brave girls.... Personally I'm guessing a slow and steady decline over the next couple of years - ala Momoland, where most of their success comes from the residual effect of Rollin'
    4. Oh My Girl - last two years have been massive for them. More popular in Korea vs Internationally??
    5. Red Velvet - it's been too long since they released something to put them any higher at the moment, otherwise they'd be at no.3 based on past performance. Come back soon ....PLEASE!!!!
    6. Mamamoo - TBH, I haven't heard much about them recently, they seemed to have dropped off the radar a bit? Then again I don't really follow them, but they are amongst the groups that never lose their relevance.
    7. Aespa - maybe controversial putting them this high, but Next Level's success is undeniable, and still going. The hottest group out there right now, along with Brave Girls.
    8. Itzy - Their most recent release underperformed slightly but similar to Twice, the song itself was to blame IMO.
    9. StayC - I don't know, this might be too high, but ASAP has been killing the charts, and going through a list of current gg's, I couldn't really find another group not already on the list that is currently being hyped up like they've been....
    10. Gidle - Should they be here? I dunno, maybe not, with what's going on with Soojin.... Or should this be WJSN? If only Izone or Gfriend were still around, would probably make this list easier.....

I'm probably way out of touch... but thoughts???

• I have a feeling Red Velvet’s comeback is gonna be successful. People are itching to hear new music from them and I think their fandom is ready to go all out considering Wendy and I&S subunit had extremely high album sales.

I’m predicting they’ll be able to retain their place among the top 3 GG’s but let’s wait and see in August! Will heavily depend on the type of song SM gives them and promotions but I have faith they’ll do well <3

• Gidle should be there, for sure -- imo

G-idle's lineup is hella strong and soojin's bullying scandal is sticky, sure but the situation seems like she was close but otherwise unrelated to the incident.

If she does get landed with real guilt, I might re-evaluate but g-idle is hella strong in my opinion. Soojin fighting! Gidle fighting!

I think they are strong too. Especially if you consider the creative aspect of things and not just the raw numbers like a freakin bookkeeper.

On Soojin's side, not much news lately EXCEPT that coicindentally enough, actress Seo Shinae deleted all her Soojin related instagram posts two days ago. A sudden change of heart maybe? Not sure what it entails but I think it's a good sign for Soojin.

• I personally think RV, Aespa, Itzy, and Gidle are placed low, especially if you don't just consider SK.

For 3-4, I think it should be between RV/Itzy. Aespa is incredibly hot, especially in SK/China/SE Asia. They don't have album numbers yet, so I'd place them below RV/Itzy at 5. I think in less than a year, they will be a top 3 gg. For Gidle, though there's the scandal, their individual members are doing quite well. They definitely belong in the top 10, probably at 8 or so. For #10, there's a couple of groups that I think are in the running.. StayC/Weeekly. You could also consider Dreamcatcher/Loona depending on what criteria you want to use.

• I like your Post because you put Brave Girls at 3rd place.

Commenting your personal thoughs i would like to mentions that in my opinion they are allready the first Brave Girls.

For example Chi Mat Baram alone outsold Exids or Momolands whole discography.

Of course the wave will go away but their image within the GP can stay very positive. So they will listen if Brave Girls release new music.

The fandom is small but grows steadily and is also more weathly than the usuall korean fanbase.

So my guess is they can stay relevant in korea but wont make it big internationally. At least as long brave bro does his work and the girls want to continue.

If you list should represent the current state maybe i would put Aespa above Mamamoo and maybe even Red Velvet.

Just because, you know they are trending now and the other groups werent that active currently.

Would be nice to see the list after Red Velvet comeback. They can flip the whole table.

But its your list so its up to you how much you value recent and past success. Hwaiting

• I'd say Brave girls is 2. They have the biggest gg hits of the year easily.

Aespa v OMG for 3/4. Bith have done well digitally

Twice 5. Their CBs havent really done well for a few years now

Honestly don't know about the rest positions. Itzy are doing ok, Mamamoo last CB did ok, RV aren't known for having hit after hit so we don't know if their next song will live up to psycho heights and so on.

• I personally think RV, Aespa, Itzy, and Gidle are placed low, especially if you don't just consider SK.

For 3-4, I think it should be between RV/Itzy. Aespa is incredibly hot, especially in SK/China/SE Asia. They don't have album numbers yet, so I'd place them below RV/Itzy at 5. I think in less than a year, they will be a top 3 gg. For Gidle, though there's the scandal, their individual members are doing quite well. They definitely belong in the top 10, probably at 8 or so. For #10, there's a couple of groups that I think are in the running.. StayC/Weeekly. You could also consider Dreamcatcher/Loona depending on what criteria you want to use.

Aespa have one song that did well who cares if they are hot doesnt change overall rankings.

They are around where they should be or even lower.

• Some great comments here.

To answer a couple of the questions raised;

the question is what criteria (as always) one is using to base the rankings

No one particular criteria, really just based on current hype/success and then factoring some context around each group, with a pinch of past success.

e.g. Aespa would be up at #2 or #3 in terms of current success, but then they are still so new, how much of the success is them and how much is it the song? For Itzy and Twice it's kind of the opposite. Aespa members probably aren't quite as big a name as Twice members yet for example. So yeah, overall not a concrete list of course.

Curious how would you change this if Gfriend and Izone would still be around as you wrote at the end of your post.

Probably drop out StayC and Gidle I guess, with Gfriend at 10 and Izone at maybe 5?

• This is difficult, because it changes based on what you're measuring.

If you're basing it on overall sales - Korean and internationally, digitally and albums - and popularity then I think the list would be like this:

1. BP

2. TWICE

3. Red Velvet

4-7. Brave Girls / Oh My Girl / Aespa / ITZY

8. Mamamoo

9. (G)I-dle

10. STAY-C?

When you base it on digitals and popularity in SK of the past year, then I think the list would be more like this:

1. Brave Girls

2-3. Aespa / BP

4. Oh My Girl

5. TWICE

6. Red Velvet

7. Mamamoo

8. (G)I-dle

9. ITZY

10. STAY-C / Weeekly?

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

Edited once, last by FoReveries ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!