Unpopular Opinion: You Don't Need To Write To Be Considered A Rapper

• I am probably going to be cancelled for this but you don't need to write to be a rapper. I honestly don't like how when people talk about rappers writing is a requirement.

It is really annoying, especially when you consider that well.......the definition of a rapper is this: a person who performs rap music.

Like literally, there is no requirment in the definition of a rapper that they have to "write their own raps".

This "requirment" to have to write your raps is just some thing random netizens made.

Some people who write their own raps get that "authentic rapper title" when they don't even sound good. Let alone meet the actual standards of being a rapper.

I am not saying that writing your own raps is bad, what I am saying is that ones that don't write their own raps should be judged based on their skills at rapping, not writing.

Same goes for the people that write their own raps, they should be judged based on their skills, not writing. If you want to judge them as a writer, go ahead. But don't include that score in the rapper category.

Rappers are rappers, not writers.

Rap is a genre that is a and I quote from google "a type of popular music of U.S black origin in which words are recited rapidly and rythmicallly over a prerecorded, typically electronic instrumental backing.

I think it all comes to, well can they actually rap? Or do they just write? Before I got into kpop, I hated rap and disliked it a lot because the apparent "authentic rap" didn't sound good to me at all despite the "rapper" writing their own lyrics and stuff.

After getting into kpop, I like rap a lot more because well, I actually like the raps. I don't care who wrote, what I care is if I like it and that it sounds good.

Is it time we stop holding this writing standard at a high for deciding good and bad rappers and raps?

• But you need to write to be considered a artist :melon_think:

another one I plan to destroy. Do actors need to write their own scripts to be considered an actor?

Do violinists need to write their own pieces to be considered violinists?

The defintion of a musician is someone that composes, conducts or PERFORMS music.

• another one I plan to destroy. Do actors need to write their own scripts to be considered an actor?

Do violinists need to write their own pieces to be considered violinists.

The defintion of a musician is someone that composes, conducts or PERFORMS music.

You need all 3, no in betweens. Most K-POP idols aren't artists. They're idols and that's different. (You can be both ofc) :merongk:

A musical artist would be someone like BIBI who composes her own music and a K-POP idol would be someone who just performs what their manager gives them like Blahh (Not saying anyone before people drag me :sketchyk: )

Violinists and actors are different than musical artists :teeheek:

• you could be called a performer vs singer song writer

tbh generally I think it doesn't matter at this day and age, Ariana Grande doesn't write her own music and no one bats an eye

she wrote the lyrics for Ice Cream so thats a blessing.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

LAFBL0s.gif

let us gather around for the lord’s prayer:

Nævis we love you. You are the one who protected me when i was in trouble. MY victory, one SYNK DIVE. I know your sacrifices. Let’s meet surely after the resurrection.

Æmen

:pepe-pray:

tbh generally I think it doesn't matter at this day and age, Ariana Grande doesn't write her own music and no one bats an eye

But they can be a singer too. Singers are supposed to sing not write :pepe-sad: .

I don't know why people keep on dragging singers who don't write their music like they are supposed to SING! Their talent is singing not writing. Also, doesn't Ariana Grande write a little bit of her music and others?

i thought she takes part in the writing process?

• Are we talking in the k-pop industry or westren industry? Cause it really depends imo.

Like if someone is in the American market trying to become a rapper, I expect them to write the lyrics.

But K-pop is different and they're shameless about it. Would it be better if K-pop rappers wrote their own lines? Absolutely, but I don't really care I can't speak korean.

Tldr: Guess I'm stricter on the westren market than the k-pop market ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• You need all 3, no in betweens. Most K-POP idols aren't artists. They're idols and that's different. (You can be both ofc) :merongk:

A musical artist would be someone like BIBI who composes her own music and a K-POP idol would be someone who just performs what their manager gives them like Blahh (Not saying anyone before people drag me :sketchyk: )

Violinists and actors are different than musical artists :teeheek:

kind of agree but honestly don't know why they are called artists though and why others aren't. It seems a little degrading to others who don't write their music and aren't considered artists just because of that. Maybe it is just me.

• The bar for having good flow or even acceptable flow IMO is low. It’s much easier. The great thing about rap is the lyricism. It’s not just because “it’s not real rapping” but having good flow only requires a fraction of the talent that writing good rap requires.

So if ppl think people who don’t write their raps as less talented then that would in part be true.

• I agree with you about performers - they're PERFORMERS not musicians. They were trained to sing/dance/etc not to compose/produce/write.

As for rappers, if you're looking at it strictly by its definition, you're right. I do believe however that a lot of the impact from rap comes from its lyrics and storytelling however which is why a lot of people associate "real rappers" with "rappers who write their own lyrics".

• kind of agree but honestly don't know why they are called artists though and why others aren't. It seems a little degrading to others who don't write their music and aren't considered artists just because of that. Maybe it is just me.

If they feel bad about it then they should write their own music. I don't think anyone's holding most of them back but themselves. :boredr:

• mad respect for her tho, vocals outta this world

ive loved her since bang bang

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

ArmyBlinkOnce0 sorry for derailing :pepelove1:

• You are definitely not old

As someone who grew up with the 90s rap explosion, I feel so sad. That the essence of rap is slowly fading away. Rap for me is always interlinked with the rapper personally.. it’s about how they convey their feelings and thoughts.

Maybe times is changing but I will always think rappers that only parrots what it’s given to them are just idol rapper, not a real one. Real ones can stand on their own when they have rap competition, have distinct style (of words or way of saying them), and have rap lyrics that just go straight to your heart. It’s so different.

• I mean for both industries. No where in the definition of being a rapper is "YOU HAVE TO WRITE YOUR OWN LYRICS". It is an expecation made by others that isn't the definition.

I would love for kpop rappers to write their lyrics more, especially the ones that want to but can't. But I don't think ones that can't, or don't want to should be shamed.

My main focus is if those rappers are good/execute those raps well. A good rapper can save bad lyrics, a bad rapper can't save bad lyrics.

• old school rap meant that you had to HAD TO write your own lyrics to be considered a rapper...but times have changed and it is no longer required I guess...

but it does mean that in modern times those that write and rap will be treated as of slightly higher skill level than those that only rap and not write...

people have mentioned singers and players of instruments such as the violin...

no singer needs to write in order to be a singer and a violinist needn't compose to be a great violinist but (generally speaking) if you can write and sing and compose and play an instrument you are elevated to a much higher level than merely someone who can one do one...

• I mean for both industries. No where in the definition of being a rapper is "YOU HAVE TO WRITE YOUR OWN LYRICS". It is an expecation made by others that isn't the definition.

I would love for kpop rappers to write their lyrics more, especially the ones that want to but can't. But I don't think ones that can't, or don't want to should be shamed.

My main focus is if those rappers are good/execute those raps well. A good rapper can save bad lyrics, a bad rapper can't save bad lyrics.

That's where we disagree. Lyrics are a big part of rapping in general. And no, a good rapper can't save bad lyrics. Look at eninems venom and donald trumps freestyle; there are bad lyrics in both of them (although they still do have fine lines as well).

"That's an awfully hot coffee pot Should I drop it on Donald Trump? Probably not"

Idol rapping isn't actual rapping.

• old school rap meant that you had to HAD TO write your own lyrics to be considered a rapper...but times have changed and it is no longer required I guess...

but it does mean that in modern times those that write and rap will be treated as of slightly higher skill level than those that only rap and not write...

no singer needs to write in order to be a singer and a violinist needn't compose to be a great violinist but (generally speaking) if you can write and sing and compose and play an instrument you are elevated to a much higher level than merely someone who can one do one...

I am not really saying that rappers that only rap are more talented than ones than can't. I think a good rapper that can write nicely is more talented(in overall terms) that someone who is just a good rapper.

I am just asking for respect to those rappers that only rap when talking about their rap skills.

Many great rappers are held below ones that can't rap properly just because they don't write their own lyrics.

I feel like this is unfair to those rappers who don't write their own lyrics to be placed below mediocre rappers just because they didn't write their own lyrics.

I feel like when it comes to measuring rap skills, they should be based of how well they can rap, not write.

• That's where we disagree. Lyrics are a big part of rapping in general. And no, a good rapper can't save bad lyrics. Look at eninems venom and donald trumps freestyle; there are bad lyrics in both of them (although they still do have fine lines as well).

"That's an awfully hot coffee pot Should I drop it on Donald Trump? Probably not"

Idol rapping isn't actual rapping.

donald trump raps?

• donald trump raps?

It's a freestyle

• true in part but you have to compare apples to apples (ie. ceteris parabis - keeping all other factors equal)

• many of the rappers in the groups i follow write their own lines and more, there's also some I follow that don't write their own lines and still sound amazing. Sure being a lyricist/writer/composer gives you more things on your resume, but i don't think it's a requirement to write your own things that's why people hire writers/lyricists. It doesn't matter to me if a member writes their own lyrics or not, as long as what they are rapping makes sense and they sound good.

Ateez, e'last, p1harmony are just a slim couple i know off hte top of my head who work together and write their own things. yes Ateez Hong Joong and Mingi are credited on almost all of ateez music, I know they write their OWN raps a ton but Hong and Mingi have also wrote the actual lyrics in most of the songs as well.

E'last will tell you they are a self-composed group, they produce, write etc their own music, and p1harmony has even worked with each other to make their own music, each one writing their own line especially in the song "That's It". I really don't think a group needs to write their own music to produce great things. Not sure why people have that dumb mind set.

• You are definitely not old

As someone who grew up with the 90s rap explosion, I feel so sad. That the essence of rap is slowly fading away. Rap for me is always interlinked with the rapper personally.. it’s about how they convey their feelings and thoughts.

Maybe times is changing but I will always think rappers that only parrots what it’s given to them are just idol rapper, not a real one. Real ones can stand on their own when they have rap competition, have distinct style (of words or way of saying them), and have rap lyrics that just go straight to your heart. It’s so different.

old school rap meant that you had to HAD TO write your own lyrics to be considered a rapper...but times have changed and it is no longer required I guess...

Agree...

• External Content www.youtube.com
    It's a freestyle

well that was weirdiest thing I saw today. I was more focused on how his rapping wasn't as good as rap god than the lyrics lol.

And I don't think it was the lyrics that made it "bad"( I don't think it was too bad, just not as good rap god, the only other eminem song I know).

I just didn't like how he rapped most of the time. Maybe we just focus on different things.

• well that was weirdiest thing I saw today. I was more focused on how his rapping wasn't as good as rap god than the lyrics lol.

And I don't think it was the lyrics that made it "bad"( I don't think it was too bad, just not as good rap god, the only other eminem song I know).

I just didn't like how he rapped most of the time. Maybe we just focus on different things.

This is a great video as an example how a real rapper raps from the heart. They don’t focus too much on wanting to sound pretty. Instead they want people to focus on their message. Real rappers can have swaggy, braggy, pretty raps but they also have these heart-felt raps.

• My unpopular opinion is most rap songs are crap anyway and doesn't take a lot of song writing skill to sing them especially mainstream. Some of the lyrics are just awful.

• This thread contains 5 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!