Do you love your job?

• I do, especially now that I am working from home and can control my own schedule. But it can be really draining sometimes. More than 6 hours later and my brain is still buzzing from all the autocad files I looked at today :pepe-life-support:

• If I had advice to impart to most kids going off to uni it's to pick something you're passionate about.

That's always been my problem. I've never had hobbies or anything i'm passionate about (except hot males haha)

That's why i find my job boring. I don't enjoy anything in life. I'm 24 now and just working to pay bills.

• Yes I do.

I just lost myself today into over 10 hours of coding (my daily is 8 hours) just because I loved the whole coding part of it.

I am supposed to write a script to import GoCardless payments into our system and the whole API dynamic between it made me smile the whole way through.

It was like I was pulling info from them, feeding it into my system, then updating back to their system.

I love that shit.

• Yes. I feel sorry for people who don't like theirs. Makes life super hard. If I had advice to impart to most kids going off to uni it's to pick something you're passionate about.

Working a job that you hate must be torture but I can imagine that many don't have a choice and the luxury to be picky.

• Working a job that you hate must be torture but I can imagine that many don't have a choice and the luxury to be picky.

Yea, makes sense. My sis hates her job but she makes BANK. It works for her - she makes enough now to get people to do the shit she doesn't like and she can just be the big boss. So for all of you who hate your job, there is hope!

• I love working on autocad too, it's almost like playing games for me. But I tend to go overboard sometimes. Like today I had lunch at 4pm, which is 3 hours past my usual eating schedule, because I couldn't extract myself from work and now I feel like shit :pepe-life-support:

Besides, being too passionate, diligent (and fast in my case) will make people take advantage of you and expect too much from you.

• I love working on autocad too, it's almost like playing games for me. But I tend to go overboard sometimes. Like today I had lunch at 4pm, which is 3 hours past my usual eating schedule, because I couldn't extract myself from work and now I feel like shit :pepe-life-support:

Besides, being too passionate, diligent (and fast in my case) will make people take advantage of you and expect too much from you.

I love autocad, I used to design a ton of cool shit on it during college.

And yeah, the fast part I get.

But my company doesn't care about what hours I take.

They just love me and allow me to be me.

No matter the hours, and I get paid for those hours.

• I loved it more when it was a small company and all about science

Now that it is sold to a bigger company, too much bureaucracy

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Yes. I feel sorry for people who don't like theirs. Makes life super hard. If I had advice to impart to most kids going off to uni it's to pick something you're passionate about.

something im passionate about also has to be profitable, unfortunately.

im realizing that as im going through potential college applying and still figuring out what i want to do when im done with school

• I love autocad, I used to design a ton of cool shit on it during college.

And yeah, the fast part I get.

But my company doesn't care about what hours I take.

They just love me and allow me to be me.

No matter the hours, and I get paid for those hours.

Mine is an office so my boss is more hands on. Besides he loves biting more than the whole team can bite, right now I literally have 6 projects I'm working on simular, all residential complexes and soon I'm going also to start on a university students dorm with 700 rooms :S.

To be fair, ever since I started working from home I started having more free time since I'm not bound with regular office hours anymore and my boss doesn't care about how I organise my work time as long as the job gets done and the deadlines are met. But sometimes I end up working through the weekend and till late at night, which is something that wouldn't happen if I was still working in the office lol. So I guess it is a double edged knife.

• Yea I see how that can be a conundrum too. I guess I'm fortunate that I love development + design and the two go together so well.

i cannot relate at all

id put myself to forever sleep before taking up any IT/coding related job :pepe-life-support:

• this thread makes me like 2% less terrified for the future

most of the adults ive talked to say they hate waking up in the morning :pepe-sad:

Aw it's all about routine and getting used to. Before I bought a car I used to wake up at 5am and commute for one hour and a half to get to my job. Now that I work from home I gained 3 whole hours but I still wake up at 5am everyday like clockwork, even in the weekends. I'm just too used to it. So I can't really relate to people who complain about waking up in the morning for work when it's something they do everyday and are supposed to be used to.

That being said, don't be too afraid, once you start making your own money and enjoying the benefits of your hardwork you'll naturally feel better about your job and all the tiresome things that come with it :peperich:

• I just work minimum wage to pay for school/living expenses... so no. Once I graduate and actually start my career, I guess I'll see. I have been considering if I can do a part-time office job in the meantime though because I hate this one and I could probably get paid more

Good luck

• I really don't ... I am.not making bank either lolz I wouldn't be able to live alone with the money I get

I dont absolutely despise it though . But i am.not made for some parts of it and I just feel like a slave even if I had a quiet day and i only worked the seven and a half hours I supposed to . I really hate any kind of stress and that can happen easily at my job . And this week has been so stressful I had stress related insomnia .

I dont feel like I am ever gonna have a job i love.

• oh man u sound like a code bootcamp graduate. not that there's anything wrong with that. its just all the ones ive interviewed who come from code camps have this same happy go lucky attitude when they talk about things like "APIs" lol

• yes life in my profession is pretty easy. flexible work hours, wake up whenever i want mostly. work requires alot of "problem solving" and "algorithms" (add some more buzzwords) huehuehuehue and no 2 days are the same so its not mundane. ez buggati

No always realistic. Something youre passionate about in most cases does not correlate with money.

I say pick something that will enable you to afford what you are passionate about.

Pick a career that will pay well and you will not hate and use that money to live the life you want and you will enjoy. IMO its a more realistic approach.

Im a government lawyer and some days I just want to bang my head through a wall. However, I get a shit ton of paid time vacations, great pay and pension. I use that time off and extra savings to travel (something I enjoy very much) and I will be doing the same when I get old using my pension.

You hate me? Well, remember it's mind over matter. I do not mind and you do not matter.

9469e72bd497f024e0531bc6136b58c078539597.gif

Edited once, last by arin ().

• I am not working full time now but I do love the work I do. I work with a professor and team of graduate students doing research in computer architecture, CPUs, and GPUs. Working in this field requires a lot of dedication and living like a broke student for many years (looking at 7 more years to do my Master's and PHD). I do hope I keep enjoying the work.

• oh man u sound like a code bootcamp graduate. not that there's anything wrong with that. its just all the ones ive interviewed who come from code camps have this same happy go lucky attitude when they talk about things like "APIs" lol

lol, never been to a code bootcamp, I've been to a coding high school, then coding college and finally coding university. I know what API hell is, trust me, I had to work an integration with Instagram as well.

Plus Stripe and paypal. Tho Paypal was a bit easier than Stripe.

Its just that GoCardless is so easy to work with.

• This thread contains 19 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!