Lisa charted higher on US and UK Hot 100 than she did in Korea. WTF is going on in Korea?

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content twitter.com

The US and UK charts are literally the most difficult charts on the planet for Kpop idols to chart in, you can count the number of solo idols that have charted on the US Hot 100 on two hands (Lisa, Rose, several BTS soloists, Psy and CL). In fact, Lisa did so well with her Hot 100 points apparently that she would have placed in the top 60 if she had debuted just a week earlier (this is just something i read, dunno how true this is i dont follow Hot 100 at all).

While she's making history in the US, UK and the world (#2 on Billboard 200 including the US), Lisa couldnt even get Koreans to play her song ONCE, she had less UL during initial 24hrs than freaking rookie groups like StayC and Aespa. Rose had 436K UL after 24 hours, Lisa had 166k UL.

How is it that the only country on the planet that a Kpop idol is flopping in with a fucking Korean song is....Korea?

• She is killing it everywhere except sk and is probably one of the richest idols out there with her dozen high profile cfs. Idk why even take sk into consideration as a metric to her success when they know what's going on. I hope yg and lisa just ignores them as a whole.

External Content youtu.be

Desbundar

• No foreign member from any group from the 3r gen has chart well, idk second gen but aianthink aside from Henry from suju all the others didn't chart well either

It's not a rarity but what it's expected

• God why this has to be a discussion when YG did nothing for her?

Also, I'm tired of all this blaming Korean narrative. How many ULs did Lisa got in Melon? How can you expect Koreans to know about the song when Blackpink fans don't support her and YG didn't even bother to promote her on variety shows and stuff?

Lisa is not even highlighted enough pre her solo era (i.e. dance break or something like that) to make Korean people wanting her solo and anticipate it. The only person I've seen celebrating and anticipating it are Blinks and Lisa solo stan. Jennie D4 era has made her presence strong enough for knetz to want to see more of her. Rosie in LSG have made knetz in awe for her vocals and acting. What did YG do to make Lisa stand out in songs and highlights her strength? NONE

Let's not be dumb and accept the fact that YG and K-Blinks are the reason she failed to chart high in whatever platform in Korea.

영원히 소녀시대! BLACKPINK IS THE REVOLUTION                      original.gif

• I think Koreans just didn’t like the song

She is not popular in Korea and the song is bad, she might have had charted way better if the song was good at least.

They didnt even listen to it.

I wouldve understood if she got the same 436k UL as Rosie did and then just bombed afterwards...that wouldve shown that Korea gave it a chance.

But instead she got less than StayC, Aespa, and probably tons of other groups. Korea literally didnt even bother checking it out while the rest of the world made it #2.

• Pure Girl crush concept are not as popular in Korea as they were before. They are more into youthful concepts these days (exception aespa). If Lisa came back with a whistle-ish song, she would have had no problems with the charting. The hardcore Teddy-sound is not that popular anymore. Somi‘s Dumb dumb had the intro, verses and prechorus that made it not as girl crushy and the break wasn’t the usual Teddy break. It was more vogue-ish. Plus the dd challenge became really popular in SK.

I just hope that Lisa gets better songs. They get lovecalls from a lot of producers world wide but still heavily rely on Teddy who puts literally not enough effort in their songs. They are so talented, i dont get yg fr

• They didnt even listen to it.

I wouldve understood if she got the same 436k UL as Rosie did and then just bombed afterwards...that wouldve shown that Korea gave it a chance.

But instead she got less than StayC, Aespa, and probably tons of other groups. Korea literally didnt even bother checking it out while the rest of the world made it #2.

They probably watched her mv and just didn’t want to listen to the song on melon

• She is not popular in Korea and the song is bad, she might have had charted way better if the song was good at least.

I don't agree that the song is bad. Its in the same lane as blackpink songs unlike rose's stuff. So if "how you like that" and "kill this love" can chart in melon top 10 - song wise there's no reason lalisa cannot as well. Judging by the initial ULs someone posted - it sounds like K-blinks didn't show up for her. I'll leave it up to others to speculate on the reasons for that.

Regardless, her solo has been a success and (some) fans constantly ruminating on the only metric in which she is not doing well(Korean charting) gives the image of failure when that is not the case.

• let's thanks YG for the promotion :peperun:

External Content www.youtube.com

" Failure has had no place in her career ” - Forbes

• I think Koreans just didn’t like the song

I didn't like the song except for the Thai part either. Money would've made a better title. I'm not really arguing about the song.

Lisa has been bullied by knets enough to have thai media talk and have reports be made about it..long before her solo debut.

Even if the song was good I doubt sk would've tuned in. I doubt her being from the sea can be negated when we talk about how the sk public views her. Even in this generation the racism is hardly any better towards people from the sea in sk.

South Koreans' views of South-east Asians are changing
    SEOUL - When Utai Uprasen first moved to South Korea from Thailand a decade ago, he used to get curious questions about his heritage.. Read more at…
    www.straitstimes.com

Desbundar

• Isn't she the least popular member of BP in Korea? Jennie debuted when she had just exploded in popularity as an it girl and Knetz have been begging for a solo debut from rose since rookie days because of her unique voice, which explains why they got high UL's.

Just because you're from a huge group and are popular for your dance skills doesn't mean Korea will anticipate your solo, just look at hyoyeon, minzy, Luna etc. Lisa needed good promo and a song the GP would like to help her rise.

• Thanks for all the responses folks. I just needed to vent after seeing that Melon Weekly chart number. I'm just embarrassed af right now as a KA. We let Lisa down. The girl gave everything of herself to Korea, moved there as a literal child, sacrificed countless hours to learn Korean culture and the language, and after 10 years of being a PERFECT idol and representing both Korea and Thailand impeccably, this is how Korea repays her.

lexa-done.gif

• Thanks for all the responses folks. I just needed to vent after seeing that Melon Weekly chart number. I'm just embarrassed af right now as a KA. We let Lisa down. The girl gave everything of herself to Korea, moved there as a literal child, sacrificed countless hours to learn Korean culture and the language, and after 10 years of being a PERFECT idol and representing both Korea and Thailand impeccably, this is how Korea repays her.

lexa-done.gif

Why do you act like your faves have fallen all the way to nugudom. Calm down, buddy.

:teeheek::teeheek::teeheek:

Fe8TZRpaMAIFav2?format=jpg&name=large

ThinkAbouTzu, Tuwuice:pleading::pleading::pleading:

• Am sorry but anyone who thought Lisa was going to chart well in Korea must be smoking something.....or was just trying to set her up, or it's a big success stan like OP here.

Least popular member and a SEA to boot.

People are saying Koreans didn't like the song. Fine. Everyone and their preference.

But i can bet you most Koreans didn't even bother to check it out.

I don't care if they don't like the song, they should just stop with xenophobic comments. Its getting a bit much now.

• It is true that Sea people face a lot of discrimination in Korea but Lisa is really popular there, like blackpink is really really popular there. It’s not like no one knows her there. People are just not into this type of Teddy song. Thus Money would have been worse than Lalisa. With a proper title track, she would have had the chances for a hit. She gets a lot of praises for her visuals on Korean forums and most comments were about the song itself

• I don't agree that the song is bad. Its in the same lane as blackpink songs unlike rose's stuff. So if "how you like that" and "kill this love" can chart in melon top 10 - song wise there's no reason lalisa cannot as well. Judging by the initial ULs someone posted - it sounds like K-blinks didn't show up for her. I'll leave it up to others to speculate on the reasons for that.

Regardless, her solo has been a success and (some) fans constantly ruminating on the only metric in which she is not doing well(Korean charting) gives the image of failure when that is not the case.

Well for me both songs are nothing alike, i really like HYLT but Lisa's song is just not it and i do believe that if the song was more public friendly it would have charted better despite her status in Korea.

• It is true that Sea people face a lot of discrimination in Korea but Lisa is really popular there, like blackpink is really really popular there. It’s not like no one knows her there.

The fact that you think Lisa personally is very popular in SK just cuz BP is popular in SK is ridiculous...Up until 2 years ago, she was known as the foreign member of bp. Her name started to come up more when that manager scammed her...

• The fact that you think Lisa personally is very popular in SK just cuz BP is popular in SK is ridiculous...Up until 2 years ago, she was known as the foreign member of bp. Her name started to come up more when that manager scammed her...

Bruh, I know that since I have seen it myself. Yes, she is not a Jennie or Rose but she is definitely popular. She is just more popular internationally. It was predicable that her song will perform better internationally than in Korea. People are really pushing the “koreans are racist and she is nugu“ agenda too hard. Dara of 2ne1 or Nickhun were really popular in Korea while being from SEA.

• It is true that Sea people face a lot of discrimination in Korea but Lisa is really popular there, like blackpink is really really popular there. It’s not like no one knows her there. People are just not into this type of Teddy song. Thus Money would have been worse than Lalisa. With a proper title track, she would have had the chances for a hit. She gets a lot of praises for her visuals on Korean forums and most comments were about the song itself

Agreed. People seems to think there’s this massive hate towards Lisa. There’s isn’t. Sadly translated sites often wants clicks and thus cherry pick hate comments.

Personally I’ve seen way more positive reactions than bad. That’s she’s cute and charming... Maybe that’s just me.

Also YG has always pushed her internationally rather than in SK (China promo and most lines in IC). Is it then so surprising she’s the most popular member internationally, but not in SK?. Ithink they’ll go all out w Dj snake collab.

Also per narrative that BP is the group w great gp supports Gp don’t sit around awaiting releases that’s what fans do. Consequently if a song isn’t promoted enough Gp wont know it’s there

• Yeah the whole comeback wasn’t really promoted towards Koreans

• One aspect is confusing tho. I do agree I don’t see why her song was in Korean.. they’ve could have made a b side for k-blinks

The whole comeback seems much more rushed than the other solo comebacks. I just hope that yg starts to get new in house producer or rather collabs with more producers. The mvs are always stunning but the songs are starting to feel outdated or not suitable for their talent. Lovesick girls made me hope that they will finally collab with different producers ...

• She's the least popular member there plus Koreans didn't seem to like the song. Her debut on kcharts was highish with her getting into top 30. This says there was some interest in her solo initially but maybe people didn't vibe with the song and it kept dropping.

• This thread contains 62 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!