What's Something You've Cooked Recently? How Was It?

• It's been 3 years since I started experimenting on mayonnaise (since I'm a mayo lover :S )

I thought it was just a simple emultion of fat with vinegar thanks to the egg yolk... But I was quite wrong.

It took me time to finally have the good ingredients to make a mayo with a similar taste of the brand I like...

The first time I used extra virgin olive oil because why not? It's a great cooking oil that enhance the flavors of a dish... But it's a NO for a mayo. It tasted rancid, bitter, and quite oily?

Then I tested with grape seed oil (the refined one)... I tasted way better but it had that oily taste/mouth feeling that was not that great on it's own...

Then I tested with other virgin oils, that was a really bad idea. I just always assumed that virgin oils are better not only to the health but also in taste, but that never worked.

Then I decided to use cheap refined bad quality canolla oil... It tasted sooo great, for the first time I was close to the mayo I liked. It had just a little after taste that I don't like but still great.

Nowadays I used a blend of canola/sunflower oil so it taste quite neutral.

But it wasn't the end of these research, I always used red wine vinegar, which is quite strong and add a non essential flavor, so I had to change it.

Balsamic vinegar <X

White balsamic <X

Xeres vinegar, better but have a non pleasing aftertaste.

White vinegar chemical taste, but quite neutral.

And finally apple cider vinegar :love:

Lemon juice, great for mayonnaise used with fish.

It has a sweet and gentle taste that goes will with the dijon mustard.

So in conclusion for my perfect mayonnaise (% of the total amount calculated with the yolk weight):

Egg yolk 7% (extra fresh- less than 4 days)

Dijon mustard 7%

Apple cider vinegar 5.5%

Lemon juice 2%

Salt 0.5%

Pepper 1%

Oils 77% (Canola (refined) 50%, Sunflower (refined) 40%, Extra virgin avocado oil 10%)

The ingredients are in order of incorporation.

That's it for my classic mayonnaise :wellr:

• Heated up some frozen Chili. From a big batch made a few months ago. Tried different chili recipes that are all good, this one has a good balance of ingredients and flavor.

This recipe https://www.foodnetwork.com/re…en/the-best-chili-7448133

Followed the recipe exactly with one exception. Using Beef base to make the Beef Broth.

Froze pint containers of this Chili for quick heat n eat meals later. Usually spread a little chili on buttered saltine crackers.

Easy and successful recipe. Tastes like you've made Chili for years. q4gMXbd.jpg

• Aside from buying the pork, noodles and the bacon, I decided to make creamy bacon carbonara! I'm a little sad I decided to take up baking & cooking so late but I am so tired of relying on fast food and frozen meals and needed a big change.

The sauce was the white one, (Alfredo I believe!)

• Sweet Sour Chicken on Rice and Tea. Wok'ing delicious.

Sweet-and-Sour-Chicken-3.jpg

Copied exactly https://wallycookseverything.c…e-sweet-and-sour-chicken/

Have more Pineapple to use up, maybe a yogurt and pineapple something.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• More Chili, this time copycat Wendy's Chili. Used on a Sourdough baguette open face Chili Dog.

Wendy's Chili is very tasty on the Chili Dog. Especially on a slice of Sourdough baguette.

• First attempt making Chow Mein and Kung Pao Chicken. Chow Mein was more savory than sweet. Kung Pao chicken is very tasty. No extra season or soy added.

Made enough for two meals. Added squash to the Kung Pao.

Lesson the sauce goes a long way. Next time use less to only lightly coat. Add water to dilute and moister.

8JkOd0u.jpg

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!