Redvelvet Joy under fire for CA [ cultural appropriation ] in her solo mv

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Twitter doesn’t work for me...

I’m confused

apparently from seeing the MV and the tweets it seems there's an issue with CA and Joy and Native American clothing/aesthetics

I'm not saying it is I'm just commenting on what the tweet seems to indicate and from what I saw from the MV

• I wonder when Twitter is going to figure out that Koreans don't care about western views on cultural appropriation. I feel like this conversation has been going for ten years and nothing has changed other than a few fake apologies here and there.

• Some said she didnt. See this. Idk if its true because not from the same community.

• I knew this would pop up sooner or later. It’ll obviously also blow over in a few days anyway just like when yooa referenced princess mononoke (a character in a japanese animated film) in her solo mv and people claimed it was ca of native americans lmao bc that’s the extent of how much twittards actually care about minorities. Same shit different day :wellr:

• i am screaming someone said they couldn't even concentrate on the song because they felt insulted by Joy :angryr::angryr:

• I don't really understand about CA, can someone explain what exactly is wrong with Joy's mv?

They believe that joy used elements of Native American culture in her m/v. (Some) People do not like when other people use elements belonging to one cultural for the purpose of “aesthetics”. They find it insulting or demeaning and hence why they’re offended.

• i am screaming someone said they couldn't even concentrate on the song because they felt insulted by Joy :angryr::angryr:

Throughly insulted by Joy bish what?

• :sleeping:

You guys should read this

• lmao i figured as much. It’s especially hilariously ironic bc those twittards like to believe they’re so woke and educated bc they “care” about minorities by acting outraged on their behalf when in fact they’re the least educated of all bc they can’t even tell the difference between those minorities in the first place and group them all into 1 big blob 😂 talk about being disrespectful x 10000 😂

• Some said she didnt. See this. Idk if its true because not from the same community.

I actually thought of this as well. There’s many cultures that are similar and people only know the famous ones lol

Whatever it is, I hope SM will leave a statement and clear things up

• A recent problem with CA is that there are quite a few times when people declare something to be CA, only to end up showing their ignorance of others' cultures because the culture being depicted wasn't even the one of the person claiming cultural appropriation.

Folks forget that there are many shared features between cultures and it makes sense to figure out which culture is actually being represented before claiming that it's being appropriated.

• lmao i figured as much. It’s especially hilariously ironic bc those twittards like to believe they’re so woke and educated bc they “care” about minorities by acting outraged on their behalf when in fact they’re the least educated of all bc they can’t even tell the difference between those minorities in the first place and group them all into 1 big blob 😂 talk about being disrespectful x 10000 😂

Its always those edgy people who use CA cards :sleeping:

If the actually cared, they would've done some research before accusing someone

and what's even worst is that many people are easily swayed by other's opinion w/o doing their own research first :-(

• It's not she's representing the communities who live in JEJU

and there's some communities who live like this because of when the Mongolian colonized Jeju -_-

once again i'm sure it's some white people who saw some feather and a yurt and directly call out CA not knowing that there's not only Native Americans who use this things and didn't even take the time to make some research -_-

✩We Born with the X-Gene✩

#aespa from Chill Kill #aespa from Chill Kill

• When I saw the MV, I knew it was about a real place and real people in Korea because I have seen them before. They looked too real to be just props for native American aesthetics. I thought K-pop fans would think so too but I overestimated their intelligence.

lt64IYu.gif

• Its always those edgy people who use CA cards :sleeping:

If the actually cared, they would've done some research before accusing someone

and what's even worst is that many people are easily swayed by other's opinion w/o doing their own research first :-(

yup, exactly. This generation of social media normalisation is breeding a culture of young impressionable kids with very little critical thinking skill yet unlimited access to the internet always jumping on the next bandwagon they see trending in order to be a part of something so that they could feel superior about themselves, without actually taking the time to know what bs it is exactly that they’re joining to spread. It’s infuriating to watch.

• All these thing about CA is such a ridiculous nowadays. They just attack because they don’t like the singer and take a chance to make them receive a hate. I will be proud if international singer using my cultures and include it in their stuff. Duh.

• Idol only need to bring other culture in their MV and some people act like it's the worst thing ever what a Idol can do. They act like she do this to insult them in the worst thing ever. We all know she don't, we all know that Joy don't want insult anyone with this. We all know she don't insult any Culture with it.

And we all know that this are just Hater who need another reason to hate. :|:|:|

• She was lost and Joy was helping her find her parents the whole MV.

What really bother me that her parents seem not bother to looking for their child. Yes it's just an mv but the non sense thing really turn me off.

I can enjoy her music without watching that mv anyway.

• Erm ... so what's the CA?

They better not be "ON BEHALF OF INDIGENOUS PEOPLE, I'MA FEEL OFFENDED ON THEIR BEHALF OVER THIS ISSUE THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY CULTURE" because that shit is so common and bland

You always say facts only. I like you :pepelove2:

• I agree, I read it as Mv reflecting the culture in Jeju. :thumbup:

• What really bother me that her parents seem not bother to looking for their child. Yes it's just an mv but the non sense thing really turn me off.

I can enjoy her music without watching that mv anyway.

Maybe they tried and couldn't find her so they called the police to search for her while staying home if she returns (like she did).

lt64IYu.gif

• This thread contains 2 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!