Do you try to hide the fact that you like K-Pop when you meet someone new? If so, why?.. ~

• i think some put a stigma on people who like k-pop because they'll be "toxic" without actually getting to know us. yes, there are toxic fans. they can be totally obliged to stay away from them. but they should at least not generalise us as if we're ALL toxic. many people also think we are koreaboos, which is ridiculous. there is a difference between liking the pop music in korea than wanting to become korean. because of these reasons, i try to be secretive about liking k-pop simply because i want to avoid being misjudged.

i remember when anime was pretty taboo. it still is to some extent. but nowadays it is becoming more accepted to be an anime fan or a "weeb." i hope someday kpop could become less taboo.

edit: i don't assume y'all are saying "hi, i like kpop" right off the bat when meeting someone new. i am only saying how some people have a negative view of kpop fans due to the toxic fans making chill fans look as if they're toxic. does that necessarily mean kpop is taboo to you... no. if you don't care, then you do you. just wanted to make that clear.

:smirks:

• Go to Best Answer
  • If they ask me about my music preferences I'll mention it.

It's not taboo for me because barely anyone here knows anything about kpop or its fans.

• I don't hide it, but I also don't advertise it. If they asked me I would tell them. I have solid arguments for liking it. If they don't want to hear them and want to misjudge me, then F them. :groovins:

Once you stop caring about others' judging your tastes it's life-changing.

• i mean i dont hide it but its also not the first thing that comes out of my mouth when meeting someone like

hi i'm selfmate i like kpop

• I don't hide it, but I also don't advertise it. If they asked me I would tell them. I have solid arguments for liking it. If they don't want to hear them and want to misjudge me, then F them. :groovins:

Once you stop caring about others' judging your tastes it's life-changing

good attitude. i guess i haven't gotten the confidence yet to be in that mindset.

• Yes. I was talking to some guy about music and mentioned being disappointed about a tour (specifically (G)I-DLE's world tour) being canceled, but when he asked for specifics I was too embarrassed to say.

I completely understand why people have a negative view of kpop stans because I did for a long time. I mean "stan loona" and fancam spam, especially in threads about serious topics, doesn't make the community look very good. I definitely don't want someone's first impression of me to be that.

If I'm already friends with someone, I don't really care if they know.

..:* :**:. (G)I-DLE WEKI MEKI WEEKLY NU'EST ITZY DREAMCATCHER STAYC .:**:.*.:.

• No, because I don't care. I listen to a lot of genres though and I will play whatever gets me hyped even in public. I also let people close to me check out my digital catalog. Most of the K-Pop songs I like are vibey and the dope K-Pop artists and groups get shown luv in parts of my area.

• no ?? i mean it's not like when you meet someone new you're supposed to be like "hello it's nice to meet you i am a kpop fan" :cryingr:

i just,,, like kpop and that's that lmao

i mean, same for me. i like kpop and that's that. but what i'm saying is that some people put a stigma on liking kpop because of the toxic fans that make us look bad. i suppose you have nice people living around you. i'm not so lucky

• Not really, because most people who aren't into kpop don't really have a negative image of kpop, tbh.

They just don't have an image of kpop, period.

Me listening to High School Musical's songs is something that I need to hide a tad more :dancer:

• Yes. I was talking to some guy about music and mentioned being disappointed about a tour (specifically (G)I-DLE's world tour) being canceled, but when he asked for specifics I was too embarrassed to say.

I completely understand why people have a negative view of kpop stans because I did for a long time. I mean "stan loona" and fancam spam, especially in threads about serious topics, doesn't make the community look very good. I definitely don't want someone's first impression of me to be that.

If I'm already friends with someone, I don't really care if they know.

you explained what i said in the post better than i did lmao. and same, i know that my friends won't be salty all of the sudden because of liking a music genre. it's a different story if the person doesn't know me well.

• Not really, because most people who aren't into kpop don't really have a negative image of kpop, tbh.

Me listening to High School Musical's songs is something that I need to hide a tad more :dancer:

correction: i didn't mean the actual genre... i meant how some of the fans act may make the non toxic fans look bad.

• correction: i didn't mean the actual genre... i meant how some of the fans act may make the non toxic fans look bad.

Aaah, I see.

Well, I'm just chill when talking about it to non-kpop fans. I guess instinctively I try to distance myself from 'intense' fans.

I keep my intensity for my other kpop friends :S They get all my rants and my 'hair color' rankings, LOL.

• i just say i listen to some non-english music

and then eventually i'll mention Kpop

the reaction is different between people under 30 and over 30

under 30 people can be judgmental/bias against kpop, over 30 seem more neutral and some even a bit interested

• I don't

Or better said 90% of the time I don't talk with people about personal things cause they also don't talk about personal things with me and if we talk about personal things than mostly just our families and sometimes people find out on their own what music I like (And yeah it is 3 out of 10 times obvisious what music I like when for example I have my backpack with me who has buttons of groups on or if I wear this one jacket I own etc. )

A.C.E | ATEEZ | DRIPPIN| MCND | NU'EST | ONF | SF9 | Stray Kids | TFN

Blast "I Don't Dance"! Not too far "outside the pocket" and neighborhood of Seventeen's "Home; Run". I'm telling you; Radio Disney! Seventeen!! What's good!!!

Edited once, last by DMV2DMZ ().

• If I meet someone new, I kinda don't tell them what I do or listen to as a hobby just as a general rule unless they ask me straight up and if they do I just tell them. The worst is they'll just think I'm bandwagoning since kpop is a big thing right now in my country.

• Nope. Because kpop isnt something Im really into anyway. Like...its maybe 2% of my playlist?

Out of my current 1170 saved songs on spotify I doubt that even 30 are Korean. So its not even something I feel like I would need to hide.

• It depends......

In a random conversation about music I might mention it, as I'm curious what would that person's reaction be regarding K-pop. If they know what it is or not.

When I ordered albums though, I put my work address on the site so I can get the package at work, I wouldn't be able to get my package at home at that time. And dude, I tried so hard not to show other people what I have in my package lol.

• No don't hide it per say but I don't particularly announce it because who has time to fight the stigma and prejudices that are rampant when westerners hear KPOP? Not me.

(The stigma/stereotype I am referring to is the manufactured- bubble-gum -lack of depth - robots, not toxicity because if people aren't really interested how would they even know?)

But if anyone asks what I'm listening to at the moment I'll say BTS you should check them out.

Their catalogue is so varied I literally have a song suggestion for any musical taste. Love it. This is what drew me to them as well. When you look underneath the surface, their talent, musicality and authenticity shines through in droves and I appreciate this. Helps with the stigma when introducing them.

I'll eventually look into others but they keep me occupied for now.

• I don't do it all the time, but in some of my college course introduction, I sometimes do like to mention that I like listening to Kpop.

or I just say "I'm a BTS Army."

• I don't hide it, but I don't flaunt it as well. I treat it like it's like any type of music and it doesn't define me that much, at least not enough to be apparent. If someone asks me what kinda music I like, I just list it with the other genres I like.

The same with any hobby I have. Even at the time nerds were looked down, I've never had a bad experience revealing my hobbies to a "normie". I suffered more antagonist attitude from "fellow" nerds than regular people. Nerds or dedicated fans are more prone to attack/criticize others from their hobbies/preferences from my experience online and IRL.

I wonder if this is more projection as fans of the hobbies are the first to point out flaws of the fandom they are part of and think others have similar opinions.

• yes. The first time I've ever talked about kpop was when I realized few friends from my gang liked kpop as well. I was 15 that time and was just getting into kpop. When they asked me my favourite group and bias, I said BTS and Taehyung. And then they started complaining "how I should diverse my kpop stan list" and called me a typical bts fan and blah blah. Turns out they were huge SM stans and starting showing their true colours by making fun of me everyday. Since then I decided to never let anyone know I'm a kpop stan. especially to other kpop stans. kpop brings the worst out of others.

𝐁𝐓𝐒 ♡ 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐤 ♡ 𝐀𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐚

c09dafd21a568e816f2cb77504fa56a8086e9412.gifv

• This thread contains 22 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!