Is Soyeon the G-Dragon of the 4th gen?

• G-Dragon wasn't just a great performer, he was a great songwriter and composer. He was the hitmachine behind BigBang, like Teddy was behind 2NE1 and Blackpink, delivering megahit after megahit.

There aren't many idols like that with that level of success, but it looks like 4th gen now has its own: Soyeon of I-dle.

Not only is she great on stage as a rapper/performer, she is also a great composer and songwriter, delivering tophit after tophit for I-dle.

I used to think that it was Cube that did at least something good with I-dle. But nope, looks like all the mistakes and bad decisions that they make with all their groups are solely to be contributed to Cube, but the good decisions and songs when it comes to I-dle, now that's actually Soyeon's contribution.

So what do you think, Is Soyeon the G-Dragon of the 4th gen?

Personally, I can't think of anyone else coming close right now, besides Soyeon :/

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• Unpopular opinion: Soyeon and LE are way better writers and producers than GD

BLACKPINKโ˜˜๏ธŽJESSICAโ˜˜๏ธŽNEWJEANSโ˜˜๏ธŽSEJEONGโ˜˜๏ธŽTHE ROSEโ˜˜๏ธŽTWICEโ˜˜๏ธŽYERIN BAEKโ˜˜๏ธŽYUKIKA

d5d89d5cd0ded673ad05b4ad8aa66c2a681af589.webpdd50b6cd6932ff0d00806a3981d3928185ee94c1.webp889793cb4f55d557baefb7c564c4b94a3129681d.webp

• Nope, GD gave BB national hits multiple times big enough to make YGE a big3 and he also obviously wrote for himself with incredible successful solo career and wrote for others members.

She has great songs, but to be on GD level is more than writing and producing for your group, is putting them in legendary status.

๐•ƒ๐•š๐•ค๐•’ ๐•—๐•ฃ๐• ๐•ž ๐”น๐•ƒ๐”ธโ„‚๐•‚โ„™๐•€โ„•๐•‚

• I know the intention is probably not to compare the level of success but their abilities, but to drop G-Dragon's name compared with almost anyone is always going to sound a bit unbalanced considering what he did.

Probably a more fair comparison would be other idols like LE, Miryo or some Highlight member for example, but it's true Soyeon would fight to be one of the most relevant out of that group.

• Nope, GD gave BB national hits multiple times big enough to make YGE a big3 and he also obviously wrote for himself with incredible successful solo career and wrote for others members.

She has great songs, but to be on GD level is more than writing and producing for your group, is putting them in legendary status.

I think so too. Soyeon is Soyeon besides, not the G-Dragon of the 4th generation.

Well, of course, obviously GD is GD and Soyeon is Soyeon, they're separate persons - 1 is male the other is female - with their own careers, so naturally there'll be differences.

But in the category 'great idol performers that also compose/songwrite/produce their own groups' top hits with great success' aren't really that many idols hanging around.

Besides GD and Soyeon, who else who can also stand on their own (so not just 'co-credits' in a long list of contributors for 1 song)?

Also 'Tomboy' put (G)I-dle in the spotlights and lifted the group to a higher tier since then, anyone else recall how (G)I-dle wasn't even included in the top 4th gen gg discussions before Tomboy, or at best as an afterthought?

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• We have a few. Zico, Highlight guy, LE, Miryo, all gave their groups hits, but none on GD scale imo.

Soyeon gave them a top position for sure and this alone is amazing, but as also stated above GD made BB legends and YGE a big3 so while comparing their writing and producing, in the end I think it's still different situations.

But if it's just about giving national hits I think they are in similar grounds then with the others I mentioned.

Btw I think it's worth praising Soyeon alone without comparation bc what she achieved imo is incredible. I mentioned LE and Miory, but I think it's the first time a female "idol" put her group on the top with her own songs. This is incredible.

• I donโ€™t think you can compare the two like this, theyโ€™ve both achieved incredible success in songwriting/producing but the circumstances are so different you canโ€™t really compare.

I will say that I believe Soyeon to be the most successful female idol songwriter and producer because sheโ€™s earned much more money from that than any other female idol.

• Nope. Soyeon is great, but she has a long way to go to be on GD's level. Especially, because GD is successful even as a soloist, unlike Soyeon. If anyone is at his level, that's IU.

I will say that I believe Soyeon to be the most successful female idol songwriter and producer because sheโ€™s earned much more money from that than any other female idol.

Idol GROUP member or Idol? Because this thread isn't clear about this. That's why I mentioned IU.

Also, Soyeon said this not long ago! She's not earning that much every time, because royalty is not a monthly payment.

(G)I-DLE Jeon Soyeon reveals earning 1 billion KRW monthly in royalties | allkpop

• Idol group member obviously, I wouldnโ€™t consider IU an idol personally. Though I donโ€™t know what the official definition is.

• If you had to pick someone from 4th gen it'd definitely be Soyeon. Her producing success is untouchable.

She doesn't have GD's presence though. He was the king and everyone knew it. Soyeon doesn't have the notoriety and fame.

• G-Dragon it's not only popular music, he has above all had a huge cultural impact on all modern kpop as we know it. There have been plenty of popular groups and producers and there will be plenty more. G-Dragons you get one every 15 years if you're lucky.

I think they are comparable because both have a strong vision about their group and music that led them to success. That's rare. In fact they're the only 2 examples I can think of. Everyone else depended on a bigger variety of factors. But Soyeon and G-dragon are both very creative people that would thrive in any group if given enough resources and freedom.

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• I think they are comparable because both have a strong vision about their group and music that led them to success. That's rare. In fact they're the only 2 examples I can think of. Everyone else depended on a bigger variety of factors. But Soyeon and G-dragon are both very creative people that would thrive in any group if given enough resources and freedom.

I think we can include Zico too. He made Block B successful enough to be one of the best digitally bgs in their era if I'm not mistaken.

• I consider GD the most overrated idol of 2nd gen tbh. He would be nothing without Teddy. There's a reason why BangBangBang is BB's most renowned song globally and one of the best BG songs of alltime and not one of his other hit songs that dont have a Teddy credit.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Soyeon has three national hits of her own in Tomboy, kwinka and Fate. And unlike GD, she didnt need handholding from Teddy. She is a better dancer, rapper, and overall performer too.

• BBB is their most successful song ww, but it was Haru Haru and Lies that made BB their initial success. His career alone is a proof of his writing and producing. He gave BB plenty of national hits bigger than any song G-idle released in SK.

So refrain from trying to dismiss his talent, trajectory and success just bc you think he is overrated. In the end he gave BB a status that just a few kpop groups can get.

• But in the category 'great idol performers that also compose/songwrite/produce their own groups' top hits with great success' aren't really that many idols hanging around.

Besides GD and Soyeon, who else who can also stand on their own (so not just 'co-credits' in a long list of contributors for 1 song)?

She's at the top regarding the combination of performing and producing. She's a great producer but I think she's an even better performer.

• idk. he wrote and produce lies all by himself.

is there a song that credit soyeon as a sole writer and producer ?? only herself wihout any other person?
    coz iirc GD did that with 'lies'

• Probably a more fair comparison would be other idols like LE, Miryo or some Highlight member for example, but it's true Soyeon would fight to be one of the most relevant out of that group.

We have a few. Zico, Highlight guy, LE, Miryo, all gave their groups hits, but none on GD scale imo

I love Miryo and she's an amazing rapper but she never composed nor produced any songs for her group. She only wrote lyrics which were almost always just her rap lyrics, like many rappers in kpop groups. She doesn't have a spot on this list.

• I think they are comparable because both have a strong vision about their group and music that led them to success. That's rare. In fact they're the only 2 examples I can think of. Everyone else depended on a bigger variety of factors. But Soyeon and G-dragon are both very creative people that would thrive in any group if given enough resources and freedom.

Like i said G-Dragon got a cultural impact, that's why he is named "King of Kpop" "idol of idols".

I like Soyeon so much, she is amazing, full of talent and is for me a genius. But she didn't change the industry.

I think many here greatly underestimate what G-Dragon brought to kpop. I invite you to look at what kpop groups looked like before and after G-Dragon.

• Like i said G-Dragon got a cultural impact, that's why he is named "King of Kpop" "idol of idols".

I like Soyeon so much, she is amazing, full of talent and is for me a genius. But she didn't change the industry.

I think many here greatly underestimate what G-Dragon brought to kpop. I invite you to look at what kpop groups looked like before and after G-Dragon.

I don't think they are comparable in impact, I think they are comparable in how they are the bigger reason on why their groups are successful. Bigbang wouldn't be as big without G-Dragon and (g)-idle wouldn't be as big without Soyeon. That could be the case for many idols but these two didn't just help thanks to their popularity, but also with their music and concept idea for the respective groups they lead, which to this day still isn't common in kpop.

JCsIq3Q.gif

• In terms of producing? Yes ig.

It terms of impact? YG is still making their idols rap in a similar style and you can hear GD influences in Bobby and that Treasure short rapper they dress in dumb clothes.

I donโ€™t think Soyeon is an above average rapper tho. To me, her flow is boring and she doesnโ€™t have the voice for it.

• Idol group member obviously, I wouldnโ€™t consider IU an idol personally. Though I donโ€™t know what the official definition is.

That's why people should say IDOL GROUP MEMBER, because it's not that clear. Even IU herself said, she's an Idol singer.

I don't think there's an official term, btw. I mean, the industry calls them Idols, but some of them are not typical Idols like: GD, IU or Soyeon, because they're REAL ARTISTS or Musicians! The term: IDOL in Kpop is used for group members who don't do anything, just sing, (rap*) and dancing, basically.

*rap: Most of them not real rappers, because they don't write anything.

• Soyeon is very talented, good composer, song writer, rapper. She's not a bad performer but she doesn't have a strong presence and often comes off as trying too hard.

GD was also really influencial in the industry, which isn't the case with Soyeon.

Tbh there's a big gap between GD and Soyeon. I would say Soyeon is closer to being the B.I. of 4th gen.

• I don't think they are comparable in impact, I think they are comparable in how they are the bigger reason on why their groups are successful.

What I'm explaining to you is that Soyeon is not the G-Dragon of the 4th gen because G-Dragon has a cultural impact, there is no G-Dragon of the 4th gen any more than There was no 3rd Gen. Soyeon is Soyeon.

People like G-Dragon who revolutionize their field are very rare. We need to stop seeing them everywhere because someone produced songs for their band.

• What I'm explaining to you is that Soyeon is not the G-Dragon of the 4th gen because G-Dragon has a cultural impact, there is no G-Dragon of the 4th gen any more than There was no 3rd Gen. Soyeon is Soyeon.

People like G-Dragon who revolutionize their field are very rare. We need to stop seeing them everywhere because someone produced songs for their band.

I understand that. I am explaining to you that I do think that they are comparable in how they shaped their group's success despite Soyeon not being his equal in terms of impact.

JCsIq3Q.gif

• We have a few. Zico, Highlight guy, LE, Miryo, all gave their groups hits, but none on GD scale imo.

Soyeon gave them a top position for sure and this alone is amazing, but as also stated above GD made BB legends and YGE a big3 so while comparing their writing and producing, in the end I think it's still different situations.

But if it's just about giving national hits I think they are in similar grounds then with the others I mentioned.

Btw I think it's worth praising Soyeon alone without comparation bc what she achieved imo is incredible. I mentioned LE and Miory, but I think it's the first time a female "idol" put her group on the top with her own songs. This is incredible.

That was actually what I meant, how many idols songwrite/compose/produce their group's songs to the extent that their contributions make those songs and their group rise to top tier.

It's true that Soyeon didn't lift Cube up in the way that GD did with YGE - but I can't think of that many other idols who come close to what GD did in lifting up their own group with songwriting/composing/producing aside from Soyeon.

You mention Zico, LE and Miryo, if they were the ones behind the hit songs that launched their groups to massive popularity and success, then they're in that same category, although now in 4th gen times, Soyeon's the one that seems to be the only one left in that category.

SWJ1P.gif

• GD was also really influencial in the industry, which isn't the case with Soyeon.

Tbh there's a big gap between GD and Soyeon. I would say Soyeon is closer to being the B.I. of 4th gen.

Interesting comparison.

What would you think would be the main differences between GD and B.I. in this?

SWJ1P.gif

• In terms of producing? Yes ig.

I donโ€™t think Soyeon is an above average rapper tho. To me, her flow is boring and she doesnโ€™t have the voice for it.

Personal preferences aside, Soyeon did end up pretty high in that Unpretty Rapstar show, competing against professional rappers.

SWJ1P.gif

• Interesting comparison.

What would you think would be the main differences between GD and B.I. in this?

B.I. is a very good leader, great composer, song writer, made several hits, his group relied on him. But that's it.

GD was more than that, he was much more influential in many ways, a trendsetter, a kpop icon, he's a celebrity between idols. His last comeback was years ago but he's still remembered and respected, if he made a comeback it'll definitely be as if he never went on hiatus. Theres a reason why he's called the king of kpop.

I'm not belittling BI and Soyeon I like them both and I think we should have more artists like them in kpop but if we want to compare Soyeon to GD but omit all the other aspects in which GD by far surpasses her, we might just as well compare her to BI.

• This thread contains 12 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Donโ€™t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!