Do you think ILLIT is a copycat of NewJeans?

• Do you think ILLIT is a copycat of NewJeans 112

1. Yes, they're a copycat group (69) 62%
    2. No, they're not (43) 38%

Yeah yeah. I can almost feel the collective groan when people read this thread title, but I just want some AKP data on where the board stands on the most divisive topic of the month (in all of K-Pop, not just here).

If you think they are copycats, PLEASE give reasons why. Be explicit.

Because I've listened to enough NewJeans to be in the top 0.1% of listeners and I simply DON'T HEAR IT. And I've played Magnetic A LOT.

And when I see ILLIT mainly performing in a magical girl anime style fashion with a strong fairy tale aesthetic, it feels very different from the nostalgic, cool kids vibe I got from NewJeans at debut.

I'm not fluent enough in music production or theory to talk through the technical differences in their respective song production, but it just feels vastly different to me.

ANYWAYS. PLEASE VOTE. I NEED DATA.

That includes you too, AKP guests.

• isn't it obvious. Even CEOs from other entertainments say these two groups are equal

"You can troll on your main and we have plenty examples of that" (c) Ves

soojin-seo-soojin.gifsoojin-seo-soojin.gifsoojin-gidle.gif

• isn't it obvious. Even CEOs from other entertainments say these two groups are equal

If it's so obvious, then state the obvious. I want something more than "they just are!", because I'm genuinely curious about that take.

I'm not kidding that this is the biggest debate among ifans right now, and I'm in the camp that believes these two groups have more differences than similarities.

• You see similarities between Magnetic and Attention/Hype Boy/Cookie? I don't.

It's definitely not reminiscent of OMG or Ditto, so...Super Shy? That's the strongest case I could see someone making to compare the two but it's still kind of flimsy?

Do you seriously lack a concept of similarity? it ain't about any particular scene being 1to1, it is just about this "chill" vibe, girls dancing in their bedroom, dressroom with comfy clothes on, having fun and shit like that. It is Attention MV themes all along. Only a crazy person would say it ain't similar, but well....you are are crazy person, so who know :pepe-magnify:

• The main people saying they're musically similar happen to be largely girl crush only stans. Ig cute all sounds the same to them

I've been saying they're closer to Fromis musically and arguably early Fromis visually as well

External Content open.spotify.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

NewJeans doesn't really go that far into the cutesy/innocent kpop sound

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKATHE VOLUNTEERS

ee868cb541261094eb3c49077579820d9d2684ef.gifv259551f29b1b419b0910ccd1ffe7a59b3ca03dbb.gifv9179a574e42e68a00c37635d5151fe4ebba30003.gifv9fbbfdae9fd592cc7858e29f534e290375563da9.gifv

• I heard songs similar to magnetic at least hundred times. ILLIT dropped song nugu girl groups have been dropping for decades the only difference is that ILLIT charted. This kind of music used to piss me off because it guaranteed that nugu group will stay nugu.

• Both groups target the tween and teen Disney High School Musical Glee market.

Their song could have been a NJ song. Pleasant background music that you can listen to on repeat or would hear in an elevator or shopping mall.

Their average ages are almost the same.

They look like the prettier than average kid that you see in a Korean shopping mall.

• Do I think they're a copy?

No

When I think "This is just New Jeans"

I think of these

External Content youtu.be

What I do think,.in regards to Illit, however is, is that what they are doing something that New Jeans could do.

They are plugged(heh) into a genre New Jean comfortably slot themselves in, even though they have yet to do it.

Another example

I don't think Dreamcatcher has actually done this type of Rock...

but if you told me they were having a comeback with something like it, I'd not even bat an eyelash.

• If we're talking aesthetics and concepts, ILLIT is giving me these vibes WAAAAAY more than NewJeans

External Content www.youtube.com

And if we're talking strictly music, they feel far more Loona adjacent:

Is nobody else seeing or hearing this?

ILLIT is closer to being Lovelyz/OMG/Loona copycats than NJ to me.

Tbh I don’t get why why you’re offended doesn’t mean NJ is the blueprint

I'm not offended. It's just puzzling how many people out there are so desperate to die on this hill ;judgingpepe:

I feelklr NWJS are more cute while ILLIT is more chill

:pepewhat:

I think you have that reversed?

They look like the prettier than average kid that you see in a Korean shopping mall.

I'll take your word for it, as uncomfortable as that makes me, because I ain't checking our average kids in Korean shopping malls to confirm the accuracy of this statement, and I wish you'd found a better baseline comparison. ;judgingpepe:

• I heard songs similar to magnetic at least hundred times. ILLIT dropped song nugu girl groups have been dropping for decades the only difference is that ILLIT charted. This kind of music used to piss me off because it guaranteed that nugu group will stay nugu.

Fromis, Loona, dreamnote, WJSN

The people are uncultured

ee868cb541261094eb3c49077579820d9d2684ef.gifv259551f29b1b419b0910ccd1ffe7a59b3ca03dbb.gifv9179a574e42e68a00c37635d5151fe4ebba30003.gifv9fbbfdae9fd592cc7858e29f534e290375563da9.gifv

• I think you have that reversed?

Maybe? Idk, illit music pisses me off because of already mentioned annoyance

I heard songs similar to magnetic at least hundred times. ILLIT dropped song nugu girl groups have been dropping for decades the only difference is that ILLIT charted. This kind of music used to piss me off because it guaranteed that nugu group will stay nugu.

I can't be bothered enough to even distinguish it right!

Anyway if super shy is not diabetis level of cute then idk what is, so I think I am kinda right regardless!

• I might get some flack for this but I do think that ILLIT are HEAVILY inspired by NewJeans. And they are kinda an experiment by HYBE to see if they can recreate NewJean's success without MHJ. While ILLIT has a different sound and concept than NewJeans, the problem is it's barely different. Magnetic isn't really a song NewJeans would release looking at their current discography it's clearly inspired by the simpler, cuter, more stripped-down style of music popularised by NewJeans that focuses on earworms and catchy beats. And concept wise the only thing that makes the Magnetic music video not feel like a NewJeans music video is the difference in directorial style. That and I could go on about how ILLIT's music show outfits look like someone looked at NewJeans' more maximalist styles for Hype Boy, OMG, and ETA and tried to replicate them without knowing what made them look so good in the first place.

And to circle back to my point (lowkey conspiracy theory) about ILLIT being an experiment to recreate NewJean's success, I think HYBE kinda succeded but only halfway. They proved they have the producers that can make a viral hit. But what they failed at was creating a viral GROUP. NewJeans had both.

• A better way of describing their aesthetics is they are non-threatening. To a tween or teen they are like one of your friends who is pretty. This is their concept and why they are successful and have many major CFs.

If they looked like nine muses all 175cm or more with model looks and model body shapes, tweens and teens wouldn't identify with them.

• Yeah but this is a totally irrelevant point.

People aren’t listening to FORMIS or whomever.

They are listening to NJ or Gidle or IVE or Aespa.

And yes ILLIT and New Jeans so far have nothing that distinguishes them from each other.

No one looks at magnetic and thinks oh “Aespa would do this song” or “ITZY” and the other known groups they’re thinking new jeans.

• Yeah but this is a totally irrelevant point.

People aren’t listening to FORMIS or whomever.

As I said

The main people saying they're musically similar happen to be largely girl crush only stans. Ig cute all sounds the same to them

Being ignorant to other groups just makes you ignorant, not right 🤷🏾‍♀️

• This thread contains 81 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!