JYP's title track focused approach is what's screwed them

• Gidle had their title underperform yet still managed fo get a #1 song. JYP ggs had many great bsides but never promoted them, making people only care about their titles. And hence when title underperformed it was over for that comeback.

They are seemingly trying now but the train is gone. Truly sad situation for JYP but overall a good situation for Gidle, NJ and the rest of Kpop.

• but but ITZY and NMIXX and even TWICE had some pre-releases, no?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I always didn't get why JYP made their groups have pre-releases and then they barely promote them. Its like they did it because they saw other companies doing it and it worked for them.

They should have promoted the group's most popular bside like how Source Music did for Le Sserafim. That has boosted their popularity so much.

• I always didn't get why JYP made their groups have pre-releases and then they barely promote them. Its like they did it because they saw other companies doing it and it worked for them.

They should have promoted the group's most popular bside like how Source Music did for Le Sserafim. That has boosted their popularity so much.

Source now doing it twice in a row (first Bluebeard and now Smart which has entered top 10 on Melon). Hell, i think they shoulda done it for Impurities instead of promoting overrated Antifragile but what do i know? :pepe-shrug:

• I do agree JYP is probably the weakest promoter of the Big 4s.

For example.
    You have groups promoting on Valorant

You have groups promoting on Overwatch
    You have groups promoting on League of Legends

You have Twice promoting on Roblox....

Any gamer knows the difference in league these games are lol

• The aim of any company is to get a number 1 song, that's just a normal thing so it's not unique to JYPE.

However...

JYPE is the first Kpop company to have massive album sales from Girl Groups that don't chart well on the Song Charts, it's a position every Kpop Company wants.

It's definitive proof that JYPE has got the formula right at least for South Korea as they haven't proved it with VCha.

• but but ITZY and NMIXX and even TWICE had some pre-releases, no?

At least with Itzy, the issue is JYP drops the prerelease MV on YouTube but no where else. No other music streaming services at all, which severely limits the reach the songs can get and hence interest.

On the last comeback Mr Vampire was better received than Untouchable, but it spent a few weeks lingering only as an MV before the full album released and it got chances on music streaming services. By then, a) interest in that song had cooled and b) all promo was on the title track.

By botching the prerelease this way, jyp damages the song more than helps it.

• I don't see the point in harping on this "the train is gone" mentality. What are they supposed to do, get in a time machine and start doing pre-releases or promoting B-sides earlier? They're doing that now, which is more than we can say for certain groups that NEVER get pre-releases (I'm looking at you, SM.)

• Is that a good thing?

I'm pretty sure if they were a competent company, they could get both, the albums sales and the chart performance.

• Is that a good thing?

I'm pretty sure if they were a competent company, they could get both, the albums sales and the chart performance.

Yeah, it's a good thing.

The natural progression of Artists is that they will sell more Albums when their Title Song chart high but drop off as they fall from the Charts.

So if you have Artists that don't chart well but still sell a crap load of Albums then you don't need to worry about the Chart drop

• JYPE just don't care about the Korea market. They know its largely irrelevant big picture.

Yet, you have all these fans of other groups obsessing about local charts, when Korea only contributes 2-3% to Twice's and Stray Kids earnings.

Itzy despite what every thinks is doing ok globally if you look at https://www.billboard.com/list…ist-100-list-2024-ranked/. Another "top" group isn't even in this global list. JPYE will repeat what they did for Twice and Stray kids for itzy and nmixx, and in 2-3 years everyone is going to be shocked.

• Gidle had their title underperform yet still managed fo get a #1 song. JYP ggs had many great bsides but never promoted them, making people only care about their titles. And hence when title underperformed it was over for that comeback.

They are seemingly trying now but the train is gone. Truly sad situation for JYP but overall a good situation for Gidle, NJ and the rest of Kpop.

In contrast, in my opinon JYP should do the opposite.

Promoting side tracks only work well when people have interest for you. Note that the viral B sides mostly happened for groups that are IN THE TREND, e.g. NJ aespa LSRF GIDLE.

For cases of NMIXX, ITZY and Twice, i strongly feel they should do away the pre-release single(s) and just focus on 1 single title track to get maximum exposures. I have argued in a previous post that ITZY's 7 MVs approach for Untouchable really screwed their chance. People were confused about Born to Be vs Untouchable + all the solo singles.

On one hand you could argue more promoted songs give them more chance to get hit. It could also be argued that promoting other songs divert attention from the title track - which will make it perform worse.

• I don't see the point in harping on this "the train is gone" mentality. What are they supposed to do, get in a time machine and start doing pre-releases or promoting B-sides earlier? They're doing that now, which is more than we can say for certain groups that NEVER get pre-releases (I'm looking at you, SM.)

Hmm SM does pre-releases. Aespa has gotten few prereleases (e.g. life too short, illusion, welcome to my world). Just that SM never capitalise on those +promotion only starts when album drop unlike some groups that promote prerelease first.

• Yeah, it's a good thing.

The natural progression of Artists is that they will sell more Albums when their Title Song chart high but drop off as they fall from the Charts.

So if you have Artists that don't chart well but still sell a crap load of Albums then you don't need to worry about the Chart drop

But none of the JYPE girl groups outside Twice are selling amazingly, so how going from selling mid to selling decently is a good thing?

JYPE has a lot to worry about because after all these years they still couldn't debut another girl group that could come close to twice's peak.

Besides, neither Twice nor Stray Kids will be around forever, and since they are responsible for a lot of company revenue, they would need to find "replacements" for them at some point, but no lucky so far.

• JYPE just don't care about the Korea market. They know its largely irrelevant big picture.

Yet, you have all these fans of other groups obsessing about local charts, when Korea only contributes 2-3% to Twice's and Stray Kids earnings.

Itzy despite what every thinks is doing ok globally if you look at https://www.billboard.com/list…ist-100-list-2024-ranked/. Another "top" group isn't even in this global list. JPYE will repeat what they did for Twice and Stray kids for itzy and nmixx, and in 2-3 years everyone is going to be shocked.

So in 2–3 years both itzy and nmixx will be touring as good as twice?

• I actually have similar doubt too.

imo touring power will only be there when u have hits (hits can be in the past, but u need to have hits).

Twice is touring decently now because they had streak of hits. Where is NMIXX and ITZY's

Some kpop fans say getting hit songs in korea don't mean shit anymore, but then you have g-idle having a lot of growth after getting a streak of hit songs.

They literally went from selling 250k to almost 1,5 million.

What other better way to grow your fandom besides getting hit songs?

• Some kpop fans say getting hit songs in korea don't mean shit anymore, but then you have g-idle having a lot of growth after getting a streak of hit songs.

They literally went from selling 250k to almost 1,5 million.

What other better way to grow your fandom besides getting hit songs?

People are just delusional with JYP groups. Like someone mentioned above, JYP has been very profitable but eventually this strategy will bite back if the groups lack hit songs, both on global and domestic level.

I believe ITZY and NMIXX's size of core fandom will be tested once they go for a world tour. If they able to sell albums on the level of Twice, people would expect them to have a sizeable attendees. If they dont turn out, mean those sales are mostly bulk-buying/inflated. Not having legit hits will hurt them in longer run

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!