I'm going to give Twice their flowers for what I feel is their most impressive accomplishment

• I've been in a very pensive and reflective mood this week, and my thoughts eventually turned to Twice and what I really find impressive about them.

Honestly, I did not think they were going to make it through contract renewals as a full group. When I saw Mina and Jeongyeon needing to take a break from the group, I assumed there was a 0% they would renew, but they surprised me.

I also thought really hard about it and there have never been any rumors of discord in the group and I don't normally see fans complaining about preferential treatment like you would with Miss A, for an easy example, or IVE for a more recent example.

Just think about all the top tier girl groups since 2nd generation started. Most of them had some type of drama between members or members who clearly and understandably wanted to pursue other activities (usually acting) after that first contract expired.

And if they did renew, the frequency of their activities plummeted and comebacks felt more like the occasional gift to fans to remind them they didn't disband moreso than an actively promoting group.

But Twice not only kept all their members and renewed, but they haven't slowed down at all. I went to both of their tours the past two years, and their energy and engagement with the fans was through the roof for the whole 3 hour+ show.

To be clear, my friends forced me to go both times, and Twice almost made me a fan.

I remember the prediction threads YEARS ago when the 3rd generation was at its peak, and Twice was probably the first or second most popular choice for the group most likely to disband.

And I guess I just want to sum this up by giving them their props, because when I look and see even 4th gen groups losing members or having many of the issues I described above, Twice has survived and thrived.

I understand why you Onces are fiercely protective of their legacy. I'm also sure we'll clash in the future, because that's what we crazy girl group stans do, and you know who I ride or die with, but I give big RESPECT to Twice.

I've been in K-Pop long enough to fully appreciate what they continue to do and how rare it really is.

Maybe I'll say nice things about BlackPink next if Blinks don't annoy me too much next week :/

• so your impress at them renewing?

Renewal. No members lost. Still extremely active after renewing. Strong group identity.

Not many groups can say that, especially girl groups.

Technically Mamamoo as individuals are very active, but the group comebacks are clearly going to be sparse ;(

• jyp at contract renewal

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I doubt anyone "years ago" thought Twice would disband..... A group being at top and earning shit load of mony for the company and themself don't disband that easy.

I wonder if the Covid-crisis kind of helped some group to avoid internal problems. For Twice it was around their 5th-6th year, maybe the time when some groups are starting to have some troubles, maybe the Covid that put much on hold lessen the risk for that.

• I doubt anyone really believe Twice would disband before RV, GFriend and Mamamoo? sounds crazy....

• I doubt anyone really believe Twice would disband before RV, GFriend and Mamamoo? sounds crazy....

Why? SM groups never truly disband, Mamamoo for years said they wanted to make music together for a long, long time, and that just leaves GFriend.

Meanwhile think of the ultimate fate of every JYP girl group prior to Twice.

It wasn't a really contested opinion back then

• Most thought Twice would lose members but not disband. I thought JY would retire, and Chaeyeon would go to join up with Somi at TBL.

But their chemistry was never in doubt. Much like mah girls in Izone, you never hear one word of any serious internal strife between the members. They're all just generally really good people that trust each other. Not all of them are BFFs, just like not all Izone members are BFFs, but they dont have to be. I predicted that Twice would be the first Kpop GG to sell well even past 10 years, although it might be RV that beats them to it. Both could end up selling 1M per comeback even after 10 years as a group =O=O

• I've said it before but one of the reasons why I believe twice renewed is the lack of solo activities

we know how big twice are but throughout years 1-6 the members have very little solo activities in fact half way through year 7 they had more solo activities then than the entire previous 6 years combined!!!

hell twice only got their IG accounts last year (year 7)

SKZ only got theirs this year (year 5)

itzy still don't have theirs

I've said this before but JYP is very very clever and devious...

the less individual activities one has the more the person has to rely on the group...especially for female idols

female idols do NOT renew with the same company (only three have in the entire kpop history) and thus female idols need to plan their future accordingly - do they want to quit the entertainment industry, marriage/children?, continue being an idol, actresse, singer, model, mc etc etc - guess what? a lot of that relies on SOLO activities - since one cannot rely on the group when most GG disband after 1st contract renewal...

so what does JYP do with twice - prevent them from having any solo activities and thus what do twice do - renew with JYPE!!! all of them - they are in fact the biggest group in group history for all members to renew with the same company they started with...

compare that situation to BP (the comparison I'm making is only in regards to renewals not music or anything else)

as shit is YG musically the members of BP themselves have a shit load of solo activities and guess what - that means more opportunities for them individually depending on what they want to do in the future and more opportunities mean that the individual members of BP no longer have to stay within YG

I for one am liking these long negotiations between the pinks and YG - why? cos they (BP) have bargaining power!!!

• You'll get along with blinks if u stop pushing your agenda 👍

What's my agenda, Hardy? Ah?! You don't know me like that :cursing:

Well said. I would've touched on that more but the the essay would've evolved into a dissertation

• What's my agenda, Hardy? Ah?! You don't know me like that :cursing:

Well said. I would've touched on that more but the the essay would've evolved into a dissertation

it's really just copy and paste at this point lol

I've said the same thing before (no one listens to LSM - they all want JYP!!!)

• it's probably like my most played video game lol

hell I think I still have the D2 and LOD CDs somewhere...

I converted my Sister and Brother-In-Law to them back in the day, they are playing the current Ladder Season and haven't missed one yet. As for me..... ummmmm TWICE came along :P

• I know I do. Our paths probably crossed if you played on US East at all.

I used to live in D2 8)

I used to play a lot more single player since Australian internet was shitty as F back then lol

I converted my Sister and Brother-In-Law to them back in the day, they are playing the current Ladder Season and haven't missed one yet. As for me..... ummmmm TWICE came along :P

hey that's nice

I used to play with my brother and against my brother as well lol

you should be able to keep both hobbies (at the same time??? although I'm not sure if twice songs go well with the lord of terror lol)

• Most thought Twice would lose members but not disband. I thought JY would retire, and Chaeyeon would go to join up with Somi at TBL.

But their chemistry was never in doubt. Much like mah girls in Izone, you never hear one word of any serious internal strife between the members. They're all just generally really good people that trust each other. Not all of them are BFFs, just like not all Izone members are BFFs, but they dont have to be. I predicted that Twice would be the first Kpop GG to sell well even past 10 years, although it might be RV that beats them to it. Both could end up selling 1M per comeback even after 10 years as a group =O=O

Bruh, stop comparing my group still getting along with each others after 20+ comebacks and 8 years with a disbanded 2 years old Mnet girl group with controversial line-up. Some of the Twice members even know each other in the company for more than 10 years.

• Why? SM groups never truly disband, Mamamoo for years said they wanted to make music together for a long, long time, and that just leaves GFriend.

Meanwhile think of the ultimate fate of every JYP girl group prior to Twice.

It wasn't a really contested opinion back then

it's not like SM have that many girlgroups....And, Girls' Generation is more or less disbanded even if they offical are not and maybe will do some stuff together, more in pratical they are over. f(x) was over after their first seven years, 1st genenartion girlgroup MILK lasten only from 2001-2003, SES about six years.

• it's not like SM have that many girlgroups....And, Girls' Generation is more or less disbanded even if they offical are not and maybe will do some stuff together, more in pratical they are over. f(x) was over after their first seven years, 1st genenartion girlgroup MILK lasten only from 2001-2003, SES about six years.

I don't think it's worth going back and forth with me over. It's not like it was my opinion :sweat:

It's just what I remember from the discussions.

My sole contribution in those threads was that I don't care who gets picked as most likely to disband because Mamamoo is the least likely

• This thread contains 3 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!