I can't with people putting Twice above Girls Generation

• You have to measure what each group did in their era.

And what SNSD did in 2nd gen is far more impressive than what Twice did in 3rd gen. Of course Twice is bigger overall. That's what happens when you debut in 2015 instead of 2007.

Twice debuted at the tail end of the golden age of girl groups. That's like a 5 minute head start when compared to SNSD debuting in 2007. This was the worst era of girl groups in history because basically there was no girl groups prior to this. 2003 to 2006 was almost the "No girls allowed " era.

But WonSoKa changed EVERYTHING in 2007 and SNSD eventually emerged the Champion of Champions. We are talking about a girl group that was battling TVXQ, SuJu, BigBang, and even a prime IU and coming out on top.

This is the equivalent of Twice beating BTS, EXO, Seventeen and Blackpink. But that never happened.

Remember SNSD was so huge in Korea they put them on the Olympics brochure in 2018 instead of Twice or BTS when both those groups were in their prime.

The reason we even have girl groups today is because of SNSD.

I can't believe I still have to make this thread in 2023.

• SNSD was the most popular group in kpop in 2G. They actively pushed kpop worldwide as the face of hallyu, were best selling group for a while in a time fully dominated by bgs, one of the biggest touring ggs in history at the time while only staying in Asia (fuck you SM, “world tour” my ass) and in Korea were among the most dominant celebrities around - smash hits on charts, top tv ratings, cfs out their ass, dubbed cultural icons, promotion of world events events like summer and winter Olympics and used for Korean tourism. They were more than idols, they were Korean culture personified.

SNSD was that group. People really downplay or don’t know what kind of phenomenon they were.

• And what SNSD did in 2nd gen is far more impressive than what Twice did in 3rd gen.

What exactly did SNSD do in 2nd gen? Genuinely curious.

We are talking about a girl group that was battling TVXQ, SuJu, BigBang, and even a prime IU and coming out on top.

Beating SuJu and TVXQ is nothing to brag about. TVXQ's success is very Japan centred and SuJu... aren't just that important. When did SNSD battle IU?

This is the equivalent of Twice beating BTS, EXO, Seventeen and Blackpink. But that never happened.

:angryr::angryr:

TWICE are bigger than EXO and SVT. And at their peak were bigger than both BTS and BP in Korea. They are also the most popular Kpop group in Japan, the second biggest music market in the world.

I am actually happy that you made this thread cuz I was bewildered seeing most users put a group who has never done any concert outside Asia above TWICE.

• harambelives you are the SNSD expert. Can you help them please? They are confused on why SNSD is the biggest girl group ever.

• As I have said X times before, it's close to impossible to do fair comparsions between groups from different time periods.

The biggest difference is that GG had a higher status among the general public in SK and also had a bigger popularity in contries like Japan and they stood out a bit more because we had a shorter history of kpop when they debuted, less competion, at least the first years.

Twice on the other hand have a bigger audience becuase they have the benefit of internet and use of streaming that have grown a lot compared to when GG had their best years 2009-2013 and also debuted when kpop was well known.

If we compare the music, it's about taste, but I would say Twice have a bit broader collection of good songs, but GG maybe have a better top.

• harambelives you are the SNSD expert. Can you help them please? They are confused on why SNSD is the biggest girl group ever.

You're the one who's confused. The other thread wasn't asking about impact but peak popularity. TWICE are, for various reasons, more popular than SNSD and more successful too.

If we were talking about impact then yes, SNSD is #1, ahead every other Kpop GG but they aren't more popular than TWICE.

loml

• Actually, I am going to sleep now so if you're preparing an essay on how NJ is the greatest group ever— save it.

YamaChwan

The next morning, vzal woke up from their sweet slumber in a cold sweat, and a harsh realization suddenly hit them--a world where Twice peaked higher than BTS and BLACKPINK never existed. It had all been a dream. A sweet but cruel dream... :pepe-in-bed:

• The next morning, vzal woke up from their sweet slumber in a cold sweat, and a harsh realization suddenly hit them--a world where Twice peaked higher than BTS and BLACKPINK never existed. It had all been a dream. A sweet but cruel dream... :pepe-in-bed:

Now I am glad I went to sleep cuz imagine staying up for this lame attempt at creative writing. You suck at it. Please don't do it again. As a writer, there are some books I put away after just reading the first para, yours will def be one of them.

Before you reply to me again with something totally unrelated to the OP, go read the post you quoted first and realize you actually didn't understand what I wrote at all.

loml

Edited once, last by vzal ().

• As a writer

giphy.gif

You being any kind of writer is about as likely as my secretly being a Big 4 Company CEO.

I don't know why you're trying so hard, but it's cringe behavior to take yourself this seriously over a topic like this.

I better not see you utter another word about responding with something unrelated to the thread, when your corny ass brought up NewJeans in a sad attempt to trigger me :pepe-joy:

There was nothing to understand about your ludicrous declaration, but let's take another look at it just to make sure. Maybe I misre--

[Twice] at their peak were bigger than both BTS and BP in Korea.

giphy.gif

:exit-pepe:

• You tried. :pepe-peek:

With that reading comprehension, no company is hiring you.

I will say it again since you just don't get it. TWICE at their peak were bigger than both BTS and BP in Korea. There, I bold it for you as well. Do you understand it now?

I hope you meant that exit pepe cuz I won't tell you to read the same thing a third time. You're the one inserting yourself into a convo that has nothing to do with your faves.

Ykw, I can't imagine spending hundreds of dollars to see a group live and then come online and belittle the same group's success especially when you pride yourself on being in Kpop for a long time. Also, aren't you always talking about how BP couldn't even beat MMM in 2017? Then how come they were bigger than TWICE the same year? Please tell me which group had the highest charting song on Circle YEC that year and also the highest ranking idol group on Gallup?

Even in 2017, when YG had BP go into a head-to-head contest with MMM, it didn't work out too well.

loml

Edited once, last by vzal ().

• So is your contention that every girl group who has debuted post 2015 is inherently bigger than Girls Generation by default? interesting. Twice did in fact compete with all of the groups you mentioned including SNSD and beat them. If anything I could counter and say SNSD never had to face such huge groups as EXO, BB, BTS, and BB in their prime. You take for granted Twice success like it was supposed to be that way from the beginning. Im sure all of the girl groups that debuted after 2015 that didn't become the best selling girl group that has 9 number 1 songs and can sell stadium concerts on several continents would beg to differ. The fact is, and I have said this for years, some kpop fans refuse to acknowledge what achievements of Twice. They have no problem hyping BP and BT, rightfully, but when it comes to Twice there is always doubt and some even arguing that they would be below Big bang and SNSD in terms of popularity that is just ridiculous.

SNSD is an amazing group and you are right it really isnt fair to compare them to any groups now really but Twice definitely deserves to be above them if you are to compare.

• Nobody talking about SNSD except pressed SM fans to be fair

From around 2016 until probably 2017 Twice was definitely bigger than BTS in Korea at least gen pop wise. Now after that it can be questioned until maybe 2018 and from 2019 there is no question. With BP maybe extend it to roughly 2020.

• I honestly think most kpop fans are new here and dont remember just how huge Twice was from like 2016 to roughly 2018 and on a smaller scale until like 2020 in Korea. Even now they are popular just haven't released a catch song.

• The second one. I never said TWICE peaked higher cuz BTS 2020 era exists. I said they were bigger at their peak which was 2016-2018, i.e, in those years.

I thought I made myself pretty clear. Were you confused?

• The second one. I never said TWICE peaked higher cuz BTS 2020 era exists. I said they were bigger at their peak which was 2016-2018, i.e, in those years.

I thought I made myself pretty clear. Were you confused?

it was clear to me, probably true looking at their charting that time. People just like to underestimate twice

• This thread contains 26 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!