I remember people saying Girl Group physical sales were close and competitive?

• External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

1st week

1. BLACPINK <THE ALBUM> 689,066

2. IZ*ONE <Oneiric Diary> 389,334

3. #ROSÉ <-R-> 358,286 [4 days]

4. IZ*ONE <BLOOM*IZ> 356,3134

5. IZ*ONE <One-reeler / Act IV> 355,267

6. TWICE <MORE & MORE> 332,416

The only competion there will be is how many BP solo albums take the top 5/top 10.

A solo member really out selling groups with huge fandoms its crazy.

• Didn't we always have a soloist separate sale list?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• im fairly certain shes gonna sell more than 600k also i thought we needed hiatuses to sell :pepe-hehe:

3 releases (hylt single ,the full album,-R- ) in the span of 10 months and all of them setting records

• im fairly certain shes gonna sell more than 600k also i thought we needed hiatuses to sell :pepe-hehe:

3 releases (hylt single ,the full album,-R- ) in the span of 10 months and all of them setting records

People who said that BP sold alot because they had big hiatus.. Clueless. More comebacks = more new fans and less fans leaving.

• People who said that BP sold alot because they had big hiatus.. Clueless. More comebacks = more new fans and less fans leaving.

A big hiatus doesn't provide a boost in sales by default, that all depends on how the company handles the hiatus.

YG and YG Entertainment in particular have always been surprisingly effective in how they're able to transform what could be(come) a weakness into a strength:

for example, YGE's music production capacity has always been limited and small due to the choice for a few inhouse composers and producers. But they molded that potential weakness into a strength, by surrounding it with an air of exclusiveness and rareness, by building up and maintaining anticipation via plan announcements and deadlines that keep being pushed further away (to bridge the long hiatus gaps), and by making every release and comeback they do make count (and if a comeback didn't work, a group's being sent abroad or into hiatus, until the narrative can be rebooted into new fan hunger and anticipation again).

So far, YGE are actually the only K-pop company I've seen that were able consistently and multiple times to convert a weakness or what could've been damaging or a negative narrative, into a strength and positive result.

It's impressive and commendable, really.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• It sort of depends how long and what you get in between I personally dont mind comebacks every like 6 months which for KPOP is still a pretty big hiatus but over a year is way too big.

YG is just lucky that BP fanbase is just growing and wont stop growing.

• Physicals have only been competitive among “2nd tier” groups. Top girl groups always outsold the competition by a big margin

I actually think it’s insane that Rose can sell that much with a two song EP. Can’t even imagine how much would be for Lisa

• nah it only worked with Blackpink

most of their kgroups were damaged with lack of releases, 2NE1 had a lot of fans left because of long breaks. Big Bang werent really big physical album sellers. Ikon and Winner arent even worthy of mentioning.

most of their kgroups were damaged with lack of releases, 2NE1 had a lot of fans left because of long breaks. Big Bang werent really big physical album sellers. Ikon and Winner arent even worthy of mentioning.

Actually, 2NE1 and Big Bang coped a lot better with the long hiatuses than what's usual to expect or compared to other groups: 2NE1 did good with their I Am the Best and Falling In Love comebacks, and BigBang did phenomenal when they had their group comebacks in 2011 and 2015.

Their album sales might not have been the best, but regarding everything else they smashed it out of the ballpark with each of their comebacks after long hiatuses.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• People who said that BP sold alot because they had big hiatus.. Clueless. More comebacks = more new fans and less fans leaving.

Yep. Even on its face, the argument that YG was intentionally starving BP fans as a business strategy to make more money is ludicrous.

If this were true, why does every other Kpop group in history have like 348040 comebacks every year? Why do the biggest groups in Kpop history have like 200 songs in their discography? Why would Kpop labels take on all the risk of paying for comebacks and work 10x harder, if they would actually make more money starving their fans and literally doing nothing?

The reason why BP fans were starved is quite simple. The man running things is a sociopathic misogynist who has been shown repeatedly to value controlling women, even more than making money for his company, whether it's dungeoning 2ne1, strangling CL, manipulating his wife's career, or dungeoning BP.

• Actually, 2NE1 and Big Bang coped a lot better with the long hiatuses than what's usual to expect or compared to other groups: 2NE1 did good with their I Am the Best and Falling In Love comebacks, and BigBang did phenomenal when they had their group comebacks in 2011 and 2015.

Their album sales might not have been the best, but regarding everything else they smashed it out of the ballpark with each of their comebacks after long hiatuses.

WHUTTTT

sis they went from 200k to less than a 100k because of long breaks

Clearly fans a lot of them left

• Actually, 2NE1 and Big Bang coped a lot better with the long hiatuses than what's usual to expect or compared to other groups: 2NE1 did good with their I Am the Best and Falling In Love comebacks, and BigBang did phenomenal when they had their group comebacks in 2011 and 2015.

2NE1 and Big Bang only had the public both lacked a fandom while BP has managed to keep theirs growing which is impressive with so little releases.

It didnt work for WInner and Ikon though both had amazing debuts then a big break and then that hype was gone and sure they had a hit or two in between but without huge breaks would have done better.

• She outsold the shit out of Jennie.

According to wikipedia Jennie only sold 97K+ with her single.

I guess going second paid off, the fan base got bigger and sales increased.

jennie solo was a suicide it just gotten hate a lot from solo stans, one more anti used that to trigger Blackpink akgaes to fight

2NE1 and Big Bang only had the public both lacked a fandom while BP has managed to keep theirs growing which is impressive with so little releases.

It didnt work for WInner and Ikon though both had amazing debuts then a big break and then that hype was gone and sure they had a hit or two in between but without huge breaks would have done better.

This

2NE1 would have had INCREASING album sales yet YG put them on LONG breaks

That’s why their album didnt even increase, heck it didnt even maintain, it went down

Good thing 2ne1 was the GP darlings, their songs have always been strong because of their talent, stages, and Teddy yet their fandom weakened because of lack of content

• The thing with 2NE1 also is pretty much everything they released was gold the breaks really did nothing but hurt them honestly.

• The thing with 2NE1 also is pretty much everything they released was gold the breaks really did nothing but hurt them honestly.

yeah

except for their fanbase tho

you dont grow a plant, by starving it and not showering it water

same thing with fans

Blackpink is the exception tho, their fanbase grow despite the starving.

no idol group has done that.

Album sales is just 1 metric. YG groups have never been really good with that (also not bad, they were still among the top sellers - just not the best), but every other metric, from youtube views, international popularity, digital charting, they did great even after - and maybe even thanks to - long hiatuses.

Their international popularity didn't suffer at all during their long group hiatuses, and BigBang's hiatus didn't even suffer in SK, as their megasuccess in years like 2011 and 2015 showed.

I'm pretty sure that, if they'd been 3rd gen groups, their album sales wouldn't have decreased either, with the boost in album sales and the ease of buying by ifans has grown.

Once again, it isn't the hiatus itself that has some magical power to maintain or even increase interest in a group, it's how you sell it.

And that's what YG and his people were/are better and more effective at than any other company.

The long hiatuses were simply a consequence of how YG and YG Entertainment did business: a very small group of inhouse composers and producers, YG who as a perfectionist is only satisfied with songs that are an A+ in his eyes (which means over 95% gets discarded as B.I. also complained about), and Teddy's ever decreasing productivity which means he had less and less songs to give.

YG and his people managed to turn the narrative around - and made fans 100% believe and repeat it - that it was all 'quality above quantity', exclusivity/rarity, holding the carrot in front of fans with a neverending cycle of promised comeback plans and continuous delays - and all this helped them bridge the hiatus periods better than most other groups and companies, keeping the hunger and interest of fans fed and alive.

Of course, this only worked well in 2nd gen era, where YG and his people could coast on BigBang's megasuccess and reputation, to generate a halo effect that'd include YG Entertainment as well as YG's other groups.

As soon as Minzy left 2NE1 and YG disbanded 2NE1 the way he did, and BigBang started to become less active, this perpetrated myth couldn't be maintained anymore, among the hordes of disillusioned and increasingly disenfranchised fans.

Basically, YGE lost the buzz they'd been able to keep going for many years and they lost the hard core of 2nd gen YG stans.

It'll be interesting to see if they'll be able to recreate a similar YGE-wide effect for all their groups, now that BP is doing extremely well, especially since the times have changed.

If any company can, though, I expect it's YGE.

SWJ1P.gif

Edited once, last by FoReveries ().

Not really. 2ne1 and big bang actually come back each time stronger, indicating that long hiatus actually helped them in some way.

But i agree on ikon and winner. Those two groups, were not fully established yet but they already on long hiatus. Basically killing them off early.

Blackpink is the only junior group survived the long hiatus

Not fair comparison

They are releasing at different stage.

I bet my every penny that if Jennie releases solo album/single now, she will reach similar level or likely more than Rosie. Let's be honest, Jennie is more popular

• Lol at you using 2011 to BB to justify their successful comeback when everybody and their mothers know that it was successful bc of the scandals that happened to them to the point of them almost disbanding, bc of these they released MONSTER. People didn't know that gp liked they to the point of ignoring and just forgetting their scandals. It wasn't starvation bc of strategy, it was starvation bc of scandals left and right.

Their 2015 cb were successful too, but let's not forget how from 2012/2014 they promoted as soloist in S.K. expect Daesung (he promoted in Japan too, a lot of promotion) all 4 promoted and were on tv shows, radio, concerts, they were everywhere. Not BP's case.

2ne1 since debut always had the gp by their side and it's not bc of starvation it's bc they are talented and their music were always top quality. On the other hand their fandom just grew weak and it leads to where we are now, with them doing ok almost bad. Where is the gp? Yes, this strategy it's not so good as how you are trying to paint.

BP since June of last year is releasing single after single counting the solo project and are still being successful with both fandom and gp with them. Why? Didn't they need starvation to achieve such success? Don't they need to completely disappear from people's eyes and just appear on some magazines to make people love them? :clown:

You need to understand that BB and even 2ne1 hiatus were totally different from BP hiatus. BB and 2ne1 promoted a lot appearing everywhere on tv as soloist. BP just disappears and just posts on sns, but do they promote while on hiatus? I don't think so. The most they do is magazine covers or go on events, but is this really a promotion to the point of making people stay with them? I don't think so. What made they survive this whole pathetic hiatus is bc they are stars! Simple as that. They are the TOP4 everywhere that you look. You accepting it or not, but please stop trying to talk about strategy when even you don't believe this. You are just saying bs and i don't even know why.

• Oh, are we comparing within YG? Bc if we are then yes, BB and 2ne1 were still more promoted than BP while on hiatus. And you are really using Minzy and Dara as examples when CL and Bom were the chosen ones to be soloist and to promote and do you know that having singles and appearing on TV is a promotion? Bc they had. And they had way more than the pinks.

I came strong at you bc you just seem delusional and you are really acting like YGE is a super intelligent company, when what they got was luck and good music. For sure they had some strategies, but it wasn't good on the long run to their artists, when just BB proved to not be affected and surprisingly BP.

If you know about BB 2011 hiatus then don't include ot bc different from them BP doesn't have scandals to go on hiatus.

And you know how well promoted BB were as soloist and bc of this you didn't say anything as I'm right. They were always some period of their group hiatus year on tv doing their solos things, different from BP too.

You can say whatever you want about the 2ng gen, but we are in the 3rd gen and the only group surviving this whole strategy is BP, do you find it intelligent? I don't.

• This thread contains 16 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!