Can't believe people's response to underage idols getting sexualized by creeps is "let's take their lifetime opportunity from them"

• It is truly a despicable victim blaming take which is a remnant of deep rooted misogyny. Like this is exactly the same logic that was imposing a dress code on women in the past cause perverts apparently couldn't control themselves.

Yall are thinking about your own moral superiority first, creeps second and idol's future third, if at all.

And don't come at me with "they can debut later when they are 18", yall know that's not how this shit works. Companies debut new ggs every 3-4 years on average. Can you imagine waiting for that long and seeing everyone around you move on with their life while you're waiting for the next opportunity to debut as a singer? One might go crazy from uncertainty and desperation.

I've recently realized that most Kpop stans are chronically online and don't watch anything longer than a tiktok video after the Baemon bathroom camera "controversy" and this is yet another proof. Cause if yall watched Jihyo or any other idol talk about their long pre debut experience yall wouldn't be saying such shit.

• you always spill 👏 newjeans would rather be getting million dollars than be in school. But what do we do about creeps like Bambam?

Nothing. Let Korea deal with him, if they find his comments reprehensible according to their standards and norms, they'll deal with him accordingly. The rest of us can stop listening/watching him if we're offended.

• Nothing. Let Korea deal with him, if they find his comments reprehensible according to their standards and norms, they'll deal with him accordingly. The rest of us can stop listening/watching him if we're offended.

Honestly I think Korea don't care. It seems like majority of the backlash is from international fans.

Like Koreans ask these stupid question all the time ideal type bullshit nonsense I don't think they give two flying fks about his reply

• And what’s wrong with debuting at 18 ? A 2004 literally got calling too old for debuting because now it’s normalized to toddlers debuting

Idc, there are always have minors but when the group is filled 14 year-old it’s wrong

What’s wrong with debuting at 14? Hyein has been working as a model/youtuber for a long time, she gets to make money doing what she wants by debuting. If the concern is creepy men preying on minors then the blame should be on the men not the girls.

• complete atleast middle school before u make career choice. Why is that hard? no one's taking their lifetime opportunity if companies debut a new group every 3 years like u say.

• There are PLENTY of things a minor can't do at their age, even if its their "dream".

We aren't smacking helmets on a 14 year olds head and sending them to the ISS because their dream is to be an Astronaut.

It'd take a cultural shift by the labels, or a change in Koreas child labor laws, but shifting to most/all idols being adults on debut is possible. There's no NEED to be debuting minors or having 13 year old trainees and thrusting them into a world rife with sexualisation, exploitation and predators.

• What’s wrong with debuting at 14? Hyein has been working as a model/youtuber for a long time, she gets to make money doing what she wants by debuting. If the concern is creepy men preying on minors then the blame should be on the men not the girls.

Did I say that’s her fault ? Don’t put words into my mouth

And you think the modeling industry Is better lol

• how are we still having this debate? children should not debut, 14 year olds should not debut. I don't even want to list off the reasons why anymore because it really shouldn't be hard for people to understand why the kpop industry is a toxic place, even for adults it's not good for their mental health why would you want a middle schooler left alone to deal with all those problems? money can not buy happiness, and most underage idols do not come from big companies, so they don't even get as much money as you think they do.

• Minors shouldn't be debuting because it's terrible for their mental health and they are always going to regret their childhood being stolen away from them when they grow up

Men being weirdos is a separate problem and I agree that the minors shouldn't be blamed for it and this is not a reason why they shouldn't debut young

• how are we still having this debate? children should not debut, 14 year olds should not debut. I don't even want to list off the reasons why anymore because it really shouldn't be hard for people to understand why the kpop industry is a toxic place, even for adults it's not good for their mental health why would you want a middle schooler left alone to deal with all those problems? money can not buy happiness, and most underage idols do not come from big companies, so they don't even get as much money as you think they do.

Money can in some cases buy happiness if it's the cause for your unhappiness. The industry wouldn't be so big if there weren't underlying reasons why so many people flock to it. Maybe sit down and learn about our country culture history and lifestyle and maybe you'd understand why kpop is seen as some dream or hope to soo many people that jump into it. I'll give you a hint,its not the marketing that agencies put out.

• You can find a lot of examples of how debuting as a child in the entertainment business can affect you very negatively later in your life. That is not a kpop exclusive problem.

The kpop industry works the way it does because both the public and the fans don't really care about this problem, but I guess we should accept and move on to more important matters, like "why my fave group is flopping" or "why this other group that I don't like is the worst".

• Money can in some cases buy happiness if it's the cause for your unhappiness. The industry wouldn't be so big if there weren't underlying reasons why so many people flock to it. Maybe sit down and learn about our country culture history and lifestyle and maybe you'd understand why kpop is seen as some dream or hope to soo many people that jump into it. I'll give you a hint,its not the marketing that agencies put out.

No I don't need to do a history lesson to know that children should not debut, I do not care if being an idol is a dream for many young teens, that doesn't mean the industry is a fun place, and money cannot fix mental health problems, only some idols who grew up in the industry young have no problems but that's really not the case for all idols, I don't feel like the burden of working should be put on children at all, and nothing anybody says is going to change my mind, how hard is it to understand that children do not need to be working full time jobs at the age of 14? I don't care about how much money you make.

• There's no NEED to be debuting minors or having 13 year old trainees and thrusting them into a world rife with sexualisation, exploitation and predators.

So literally into the world, right?

Minors shouldn't be debuting because it's terrible for their mental health and they are always going to regret their childhood being stolen away from them when they grow up

Men being weirdos is a separate problem and I agree that the minors shouldn't be blamed for it and this is not a reason why they shouldn't debut young

Lmfao ent industry isn't the only thing stealing childhoods, literally the education system does.

• Children around the age of 9 to 14 shouldn't be auditioning to become a celebrity or a kpop star in the first place. There are many celebrities who talked about their childhood being taken away from them at a young age. When most normal kids are hanging out with their friends or playing around trainees or actor actresses are busy with their tight schedule. Many of them missed their opportunity to enjoy their childhood and early teen life properly. Many of them get assaulted by their co-workers or staffs. Look at Lindsey Lohan, Miley Cyrus, Millie Bobby Brown, Demi lovato, Macaulay Culkin, Shirley Temple, Taemin, Hyuna and many more suffered because they were exposed to the toxicity from a young age. Companies can easily debut a new gg that'll have adult members and can handle things better than children. If you support debuting a child over grown ppl you have a problem.

• You are talking like these kids have any protection from powerful people dude, when stats say otherwise.

Look at the child actors in Hollywood half of them got money but lots of trauma and drug addiction issues. Some of them already died because of it. A lot of them chose to back away from the fame path. I don't think kpop is any safer. I can only hope they are fine but let's be real that is naive. Let's hope companies hold their idols to high standard and protect them and that they also a supportive family system because that does make a difference.

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• What’s wrong with debuting at 14? Hyein has been working as a model/youtuber for a long time, she gets to make money doing what she wants by debuting. If the concern is creepy men preying on minors then the blame should be on the men not the girls.

you sound very naive. There are a lot more issues not just creepy men dude.

• You are talking like these kids have any protection from powerful people dude, when stats say otherwise.

Look at the child actors in Hollywood half of them got money but lots of trauma and drug addiction issues. Some of them already died because of it. A lot of them chose to back away from the fame path. I don't think kpop is any safer. I can only hope they are fine but let's be real that is naive. Let's hope companies hold their idols to high standard and protect them and that they also a supportive family system because that does make a difference.

Heh only just watched this video a few hours back...

Julie Garland... damn

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• No I don't need to do a history lesson

There in lies the problem complete ignorance arrogance. Your line of thought is absolute and the way everyone should go. You don't want to understand the reason it happened because you don't want to learn a fuckin thing about the people and country all of it comes from 🤡

• Heh only just watched this video a few hours back...

Julie Garland... damn

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

That's exactly the type of thing I'm talking about. Child celebs getting a butterfly and rainbows type of life because of the money and fame are the exception not the rule. Implying otherwise is extremely naive.

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

thats not the only problem

Alot of idols who debuted young come out of industry completely clueless about how the real world works and they just become sitting prey for every opportunist person to take advantage of.

The whole training system + idol system is designed in a way that idols have 0 clue about life outside of the industry and thats where things go wrong.

• Actually legally it would be in the best interest of young adults signing fair contracts with good legal counsel at 18 than at 14/15 where they need their parents (who would readily throw away their children's childhood if it means getting money faster) consent. Maybe there wouldn't be so many cases of older female idols sounding off the "be cautious" warning when entering the music industry so young.

• Anyway, I am not even bother replying to anyone in particular. There is a certain bias against entertainment industry in yall as if other industries are any better. Like tell me doctors don't lose their childhood and youth studying endlessly. Tell me musicians don't. Like I went to musical school for 6 years when I was a kid and then I got burned out and dropped it. Yall don't know shit about life, just pretending.

• Anyway, I am not even bother replying to anyone in particular. There is a certain bias against entertainment industry in yall as if other industries are any better. Like tell me doctors don't lose their childhood and youth studying endlessly. Tell me musicians don't. Like I went to musical school for 6 years when I was a kid and then I got burned out and dropped it. Yall don't know shit about life, just pretending.

Doctors being used as an example is the worse example ever. Because to even pursue a career in that field you already have to have a HS diploma and Bachelors degree and on average that is attained by 22-28 before you can even take the MCAT for medical school. They're already living life while pursuing their dreams as an adult. I know because my sister is a dentist. She dated, partied, lived life to the fullest and eventually got married with three kids all the while getting her degree and license to open her own Dental clinic.

• Doctors being used as an example is the worse example ever. Because to even pursue a career in that field you already have to have a HS diploma and Bachelors degree and on average that is attained by 22-28 before you can even take the MCAT for medical school. They're already living life while pursuing their dreams as an adult. I know because my sister is a dentist. She dated, partied, lived life to the fullest and eventually got married with three kids all the while getting her degree and license to open her own Dental clinic.

Dentists aren't doctors, go talk to an actual surgeon. Their lives are endless studies since they are like 12. Medical universities re the hardest to get into, so most who've decided to go to medical school start attending preparation courses early on to pass the exam. And then it only gets harder, not easier.

• Dentists aren't doctors, go talk to an actual surgeon. Their lives are endless studies since they are like 12. Medical universities re the hardest to get into, so most who've decided to go to medical school start attending preparation courses early on to pass the exam. And then it only gets harder, not easier.

Girl what even? They don't have to worry about the MCAT until junior to senior year of college. What they're doing at 12 is learning geometry or social studies. You watch too many TV dramas if you think at 12 they're grinding to enter medical school lol. Dreaming yes but they enact on it until the prerequisites are met. And yes, doctors have to give 10-15 years of higher education after high school to become one but life doesn't just stand still during that time. :clown:

• I guess since we are on this topic....

First of, I'm not saying that is ok to debut minors BUT

Why are people ok with child actors working in the entertainment industry (eg: Disney child actors or just any child actors), but not ok with minor idols? How is it different?

Like I don't see the same outrage for child actors compared to minor kpop idols

• There's still a weariness with child actors and theres a lot of strict labor laws in many countries with regards to child actors and how they can be uses, how many hours they can work on set etc etc

Also, theres more "necessity" to child actors (in as much that making movies/TV shows is "necessary"). If you have a role that is a child/teen, you generally need a child to play that part. Even then, look how many times grown adults are hired to play teenage roles in TV and movies, to avoid the drama of working with kids. And it's still frought with danger, exploitation, mismanagement and lifelong issues for some.

There isn't the same level of "necessity" in debuting a 14 year old over a 19 year old for your girl group

• But we are talking in this thread about how disney child stars all end up having to deal with tough sh!t in their adult years

Miley cyrus, Selena Gomez etc have been adversely affected by the intense fame they got in their teen years...

It was recently revealed that one of the exec producer on the Nickelodeon show Ariana was the main character of, was a whole weirdo with a foot fetish and used to make all the teens on the set uncomfortable with his actions

There are long threads on twitter about these topics

• Girl what even? They don't have to worry about the MCAT until junior to senior year of college. What they're doing at 12 is learning geometry or social studies. You watch too many TV dramas if you think at 12 they're grinding to enter medical school lol. Dreaming yes but they enact on it until the prerequisites are met. And yes, doctors have to give 10-15 years of higher education after high school to become one but life doesn't just stand still during that time. :clown:

Or maybe, just maybe, we live in different countries, ever thought about that? :thinkerpepe:

• There isn't the same level of "necessity" in debuting a 14 year old over a 19 year old for your girl group

Problem with this assumption is, idol training is sometimes closer to being a doctor, because most trainnes are training on average 4 years uoto 7 sometimes longer before they debut. Which is unfortunately why they get them young. The person that used the example of doctors would have had a better case if say being a doctor required you to be in your early 20s to land this job. Considering prerequisites etc not including med school can be 10+ not including residency. So yes you could see some kid slaving away at 13 so they can be a brain surgeon by 21.

• This thread contains 52 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!