IFPI best selling lists not accurate at all, infact it should be ignored

• Yet another year & IFPI remains as accurate as mediatrack 💀

I know tracking music sales globally is not easy but IFPI shows they only know how to track western music sales properly,they still rely on what labels send to them 🚶

Where's Aespa & NCT among the top 20/10 list 👀

Their pure sales alone warrant them a spot on the list l, for example skz ordinary & 17 sector sold less than Girls but it's ranked inside the top 20

I also don't get why blinks are being shady about it like if u going to shade aespa atleast do it based on tangible facts not glaringly obvious omissions 🚶

Smh blinks on twitter swear BP is the biggest GG but will not hesitate to drag other GGs whenever BP achieves something 💀

It's giving insecurity 💀

Anyways SM should rank next year with the hybe association 👀

• Go to Best Answer
  • There is a reason why the charts is called all formats, its just means that the sm acts aren't big internationally, just like everyone knows looking at charts and streams.

Anyways Hardcore you are being really delusional if you think BP isn't the biggest gg

• Hasn’t it always been like this where some acts get omitted and others don’t I vaguely remember one time how they included Chinese sales one artist but ignored it for another

This ranking has been weird with no logic even before kpop lol. They don’t have any methodology.

I feel like kpop fans being obsessed with charting and ranking makes them weirdly fixate on this ranking.

• IFPI, an organization that has several OFFICIAL members that are knowledgeable about this stuff being called inaccurate :cryingr: It's literally the most accurate source we have for WW sales and charts right now (even if there may be some controversy in how they count Chinese sales but that's a general problem not just with them)

This is the first year KMCA data (meaning data straight from Circle, etc) has been included so it has nothing to do with the labels. NCT and aespa simply lack in international streams (look at their Spotify numbers compared to Stray Kids, etc) so obviously that wasn't enough for them to make the top20. This is an SPS (sales plus streams) list not a pure sales list. They will likely make it to pure sales which is great in itself.

• Best Answer

There is a reason why the charts is called all formats, its just means that the sm acts aren't big internationally, just like everyone knows looking at charts and streams.

Anyways Hardcore you are being really delusional if you think BP isn't the biggest gg

It’s got nothing to do with SM it’s not even news that this chart is completely useless since the dawn of time lol. They’ve ignored many western artists too. And always get called out year after year not sure what fans even think this chart even means :angryr: :cryingr:

what in the dark lord name is IFPI?

A useless ranking made by a company that randomly asks some fixed number of top labels how much acts have sold and then makes a list out of it. They don’t consider all acts they don’t look up all data sources. They don’t even look at all the data sources the same for even the acts they ranked. They just ask the labels how much certain acts sold and accept that value :angryr: :cryingr:

• I know there's a bit of controversy over how they weight Chinese sales. Apparently, they weight them less because it's so much easier to purchase in bulk. That's what I've heard anyway. Doesn't make sense to me though because if we take Korea, for example, fans can buy in bulk and yet those sales don't appear to weighted the same way as Chinese bulk buying.

• I personally don't like comparisons with other girl groups but thinking blackpink isn't the biggest gg globally is actually you downplaying bp ( but I'm not surprised) but when it comes to other girl groups you hype it even it doesn't come close to what bp has achieved.

• Hasn’t it always been like this where some acts get omitted and others don’t I vaguely remember one time how they included Chinese sales one artist but ignored it for another

This ranking has been weird with no logic even before kpop lol. They don’t have any methodology.

I feel like kpop fans being obsessed with charting and ranking makes them weirdly fixate on this ranking.

They publish what the major labels submit

For example Interscope only submitted Born Pink gaon sales omitting their Chinese DLS

While in 2020 Justin Bieber's & Taylor swift labels reported their Chinese sales without devaluing them 😌

SM acts will start being included when they start submitting their reports likely next year with the hybe association 👀

• IFPI, an organization that has several OFFICIAL members that are knowledgeable about this stuff being called inaccurate :cryingr: It's literally the most accurate source we have for WW sales and charts right now (even if there may be some controversy in how they count Chinese sales but that's a general problem not just with them)

This is the first year KMCA data (meaning data straight from Circle, etc) has been included so it has nothing to do with the labels. NCT and aespa simply lack in international streams (look at their Spotify numbers compared to Stray Kids, etc) so obviously that wasn't enough for them to make the top20. This is an SPS (sales plus streams) list not a pure sales list. They will likely make it to pure sales which is great in itself.

Girls has more sps than both ordinary & sector 💀💀💀💀

Dream & 17 sold more than ordinary & sector in pure sales alone 💀💀💀💀

They just publish what major labels in the west submit lol

• It’s got nothing to do with SM it’s not even news that this chart is completely useless since the dawn of time lol. They’ve ignored many western artists too. And always get called out year after year not sure what fans even think this chart even means :angryr: :cryingr:

A useless ranking made by a company that randomly asks some fixed number of top labels how much acts have sold and then makes a list out of it. They don’t consider all acts they don’t look up all data sources. They don’t even look at all the data sources the same for even the acts they ranked. They just ask the labels how much certain acts sold and accept that value :angryr: :cryingr:

☝️

• I know there's a bit of controversy over how they weight Chinese sales. Apparently, they weight them less because it's so much easier to purchase in bulk. That's what I've heard anyway. Doesn't make sense to me though because if we take Korea, for example, fans can buy in bulk and yet those sales don't appear to weighted the same way as Chinese bulk buying.

This has nothing to do with Chinese DLS lol

They just publish what the labels submit, for example in 2020 they counted Tay & Justin Chinese DLS without even devaluing them but didn't for The Album 💀

Also since 2021, bulk buying has been banned in China so the downloads are 100% legit now

• I understand you thought that thread was unnecessary ( I thought so too) I personally don't prefer comparisons but thinking blackpink isn't the biggest gg globally is actually you downplaying bp ( but I'm not surprised) but when it comes to other girl groups you hype it even it doesn't come close to what bp has achieved.

Jesus can y'all actually read 💀😭😂

The thing though is that Korea has an official body to track sales and stuff (even though it is flawed sometimes). China doesn't. I think this is a bigger problem with digital sales though because I remember there was so much controversy surrounding that one Xiao Zhan single that would be one of the best selling digital singles ever if we go by its number, even though it was clearly a result of it being sold at a very low price and his insane fanbase. But yeah like Hardy said its clearly less of a problem now that bulk buying is banned.

• While in 2020 Justin Bieber's & Taylor swift labels reported their Chinese sales without devaluing them 😌

Taylor's folklore chinese sales weren't reported, that's why It "only" sold 2M on IFPI list.

Check Spotify & YT streams 🙂

For pure sales, check circle charts 2022 report

Oddinary did better on international streaming plataforms than Girls, tho. The reason what It has more streams overall on Spotify is because aespa added singles that were released years ago on the album and most of the streams from these songs didn't count for the tracking period, tho. The difference in sales is so small that the streams could make the difference to put Oddinary ahead.

But I don't disagree NCT and aespa sales alone could put them on Top 20 list If reported.

• Okay I guess I was the only one who thought it was weird. Girls sold +100k copies than sector 17. And we aren’t gonna talk about streams because I’m sure girls had more streams than sector 17 based on just the streams with the 2022 songs. Girls has gained over 180M streams.

Like let’s be real an old single from sector 17 (HOT) has surpassed 100M streams two weeks ago. Nct have shitty streams but Girls did okay.

• I don't think it should be ignored but I am too curious with their calculations seeing TXT at 16. And for minisode2, their chinese sales weren't that high (as they are for Temptation) and their US sales were among the highest, in Japan too so that argument wouldn't work here.

I'm also curious about the lack of NCT and Aespa but I'm less knowledgeable concerning their numbers.

• Lol. Typical cherry picking from typical kpop fans. Listen, everyone knows that it's not fully accurate. However, unless you have another chart which validated by all the major players in the global industry, IFPI will remain the most relevant global chart. So, learn how to take things with a grain of salt.

• The IFPI Global Artist Chart and IFPI Global Album All-Format Chart include all Physical and Digital consumption formats, which are converted by region according to the relative economics (revenue per unit of consumption) of each. All consumption is converted into Album Equivalent Units according to these conversion rates and forms the chart rankings.

Physical: includes sales of all physical formats, including physical singles, CD, vinyl and other (e.g. cassette, mini disc and pre-loaded physical devices). CD sales ordered via the internet (e.g. via Amazon) are reported as physical sales.

Subscription audio streams income: income from audio subscription services premium tier and from subscriptions bundled with other services (e.g. subscriptions to Apple Music, Spotify Premium, QQ Music VIP, or subscriptions bundled with a mobile phone contract). Includes the sale of tethered downloads if purchased as part of an audio streaming subscription, where the downloads are only available during the subscription period.

Ad-supported streams income: income from the free tier of audio subscription services e.g. the free and advertising-supported tier of Spotify, Deezer, or Kugou. This category also includes global deals with social media DSPs and other non-categorised revenues such as semi-interactive digital radio service revenues (e.g. Pandora) and cloud income.

Video streams income: income from video streams monetised by advertising or subscription models (e.g. YouTube official videos or VEVO).

Downloads: may be referred to as ‘permanent downloads’. A sale delivered online, via mobile network or kiosk, and sold under a pay-per-transaction (or use of pre-pay). Includes audio single tracks, audio full albums, and music videos and other downloads.

Mobile personalisation and other digital: includes master ringtones, ringback tones, and other personalised mobile products such as greetings, dedications and voicetones.

Source : IFPI Global Music Report 2022 - Full Report: Data and Analysis for 2021

• Bec its based on revenue not shipments. Some could be just in stores ( shipped) but not really sold. It needs to be sold and each market has different weight. So it considers reported revenue let say in Europe, US, JP and rest of Asia. Go figure that out. For example, Enhypen's album is stl charting in BB world album and other European charts.

• Lol. Typical cherry picking from typical kpop fans. Listen, everyone knows that it's not fully accurate. However, unless you have another chart which validated by all the major players in the global industry, IFPI will remain the most relevant global chart. So, learn how to take things with a grain of salt.

Agree, stl most relevant definitelt more reliable since its based on revenue generated cuz purely basing it on shipped albums unsold yet & with a value of $5 seem more ridiculous to me. 😂

• It’s got nothing to do with SM it’s not even news that this chart is completely useless since the dawn of time lol. They’ve ignored many western artists too. And always get called out year after year not sure what fans even think this chart even means :angryr: :cryingr:

well of course, its useless cuz ur fave is not included 😂. its a ww chart. making u famous in SK and CH wont make the cut. 😂

• This has nothing to do with Chinese DLS lol

They just publish what the labels submit, for example in 2020 they counted Tay & Justin Chinese DLS without even devaluing them but didn't for The Album 💀

Also since 2021, bulk buying has been banned in China so the downloads are 100% legit now

so question is why is sm not submitting it based on what u think is right? once they submit it, it could be used as basis for tax . so " devaluing" or maybe not has purpose to the labels. 😂 Do u think labels will over reported their revenue? no sane businessmen will do that. if sm undervalues it way too much -- maybe they are hiding something. 😂

• so question is why is sm not submitting it based on what u think is right? once they submit it, it could be used as basis for tax . so " devaluing" or maybe not has purpose to the labels. 😂 Do u think labels will over reported their revenue? no sane businessmen will do that. if sm undervalues it way too much -- maybe they are hiding something. 😂

What even 💀

• This thread contains 6 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!