About this "4th gen gg curse"

• Warning: long post lol

Everyone seems to think this bs of "gg replaces other gg" exist bc of what happened to itzy, followed to aespa, and now think the same will happen to Ive because of Newjeans, and that soon Newjeans will be replaced by Babymonster too. I think thats fucking bullshit.

First of all these ggs haven't been "replaced", they are still popular and successful they just don't chart anymore therefore aren't as trendy, which is only important depending on how you see it.

The only one at fault for Itzy's downfall with gp and casuals was JYP's shitty choices. Itzy's music simply stopped clicking with non-fans, it's simple as that. People already know what to expect of their music so it doesnt hit as hard as it used to. The members still are popular and they sell well. It wasnt aespa's fault that theyre not charting anymore.

For aespa, not only their music choice was questionable, but the way SM decided to promote them as well, was very questionable and imo embarrassing. Its ironic that aespa is heavily inspired by BP (lets admit that) but failed at the exclusivity feeling by trying so hard to promote them in US. I know Girls has a lot of shooters, but I wouldn't have picked it for title track either in such a super competitive year. I would make Illusion (hot, sexy, catchy, nice, simple, aesthetique, cool, intriguing) the title track (maybe changing a bit of the lines before), invest hard to make everything look out of this world and an event and stop with the prerelease thing (for fans it would suck, but for a marketing pov is smarter imo). Girls not being it for the public was NOT Ive's fault. It was surprising enough that Savage got paks when it was far from being public-friendly. They deserve credit for that. Even if their music stop hitting as hard with most people, I'd be fine with them having a loyal bg-like-fandom that show they dont need the public bc their fans will eat up whatever they do bc aespa is the only gg giving them what they want.

Now back to Ive. They havent flopped yet so why people are acting like they have? Last time I checked despite Newjeans successful releases, Ive's songs are still solid on charts. The latest still on top10 afaik. Literally, nothing changed for Ive since Newjeans's debut lmao.

Newjeans is already successful by any metric so even if Babymonster surpass them in some sort of achievement, doesnt erase that Nj still is successful. And viceversa.

Other ggs will never be the downfall of a specific gg. Proof is how g idle managed to have their most successful year despite debuting before than Itzy. Or how Sistar stayed solid on charts from beginning to end of their career with a record of consecutive #1s despite 2ne1 and SNSD being undeniably more popular.

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• bc in kpop nothing bad can ever be traced back to the group itself.

If a song underperformed, it's always on someone else.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I will blame other groups, the company, the way the stars aligned, but never my faves!

• catzi

Changed the title of the thread from “Why does people blame other ggs when a popular gg flops?” to “About this "4th gen gg curse"”.
  • Proof is how g idle managed to have their most successful year despite debuting before than Itzy.

I'm in two minds -

Gidle make their own music and concepts and aim at a slightly older demographic.

They don't have to worry about other GG's encroaching upon their space.

But on the other hand, you are right. Idle have been written off many times, in 2019, in 2021, probably due for another year where they get "written off" only to come back even bigger. So it's possible for whoever has "dropped" off to comeback and hit big, just depends on their willingness to be a bit riskier and a take a shot at something new.

• Exactly gidle is self composing and a performance group. They are not limited to cutesy concepts aimed at the Korean teen market.

It is not really the korean general public, but korean teens that are the dominant kpop market in Korea. They follow the trends. ITZY -> Aespa -> Ive -> NJ -> BM -> SM ngg.

This is especially so, if your concept is cutesy. We have seen it already. Even Kakao with its bucket loads of money can only do so much. If the teens decide something is the trend, that will win.

• I dunno if there is a 4th gen curse or w/e but its make sense that groups that lead it would lose some fans when more groups come out. If they are the same concept then I think its more likely. I think keeping up with the music demand while you are hot is the most important thing. Thats something NJ has done well and Aespa I think has done terrible.

• hindsight is 20/20 my friend

we only know of a group's "fall" after the fact - there's not much in this world (and kpop) that goes up and up and up forever - what goes up must come down

and eventually someone will come along and do better than you will - it's just life - and of course certain fans will state OMG [x group] destroyed [y group]

• But many other groups have also been sabotaged by their companies making them stick to expired concepts.

i agree, including about some of my faves. To be honest, i think literally the only kpop group that managed to stay 100% fresh with unique and appealing comeback each time was Exo. G idle is doing a pretty good job though i wouldnt say it's as good as the former.

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• Kpop fans have this Winner takes it all mentality. There is ONE top group and all the others are flopping. Not only that but a lot of them are desesperately waiting to see popular girl groups and in particular non BIG3 idols fall into oblivion. They used to wait for the end of a generation but now they are making it more obvious that female idols are disposable and should be replaced asap by the next fresh group.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!