If popular 3rd gen girl groups went on hiatus then returned after 5-7 years, would they be able to hit as big as SNSD and KARA?

• It's doable but I think they would need a good few years totally away or very little activities to build up the nostalgia and hype for the CB. If the gaps are only 1 or years there's not much difference from a normal hiatus.

• Yes but also depends on timing.

This year is the golden year of gg, even some of the crappier gg songs manage to chart but wouldn’t have had it been release at other time. And nostalgia is a big thing.

Groups that I think can manage to do this out of 3rd Gen are probably just twice, blackpink, and gfriend - all has positive public affinity. OMG is any possible candidate too

• I don’t think the top 3rd gen GG’s will ever have long hiatus/disband like 2nd gen for this question to even have any relevance.

2nd GG’s had no broad appeal when it came to fandoms and could not tour. This is why they all stopped promoting.

This isn’t the case for 3rd gen. Twice and BP are having some of the biggest tours. RV is also still touring.

The groups that don’t have the fandom backing are ones that have already faded. And no I don’t think they can do this.

But groups like twice and BP are just going to continue promoting without stopping making them already better and longer lasting than 2nd gen GGs.

• Yes but also depends on timing.

This year is the golden year of gg, even some of the crappier gg songs manage to chart but wouldn’t have had it been release at other time. And nostalgia is a big thing.

Groups that I think can manage to do this out of 3rd Gen are probably just twice, blackpink, and gfriend - all has positive public affinity. OMG is any possible candidate too

irene-red-velvet.gif

• That's' true. Girl groups nowadays have stronger fandoms and bigger global reach then 2nd gen girl groups did. I can't speak for the others but I can only see Twice taking a hiatus after they reach their peak in the U.S. And even then I don't think they'd leave Onces without new music for more then 2-3 years.

• Any group that was big before will be big following a 5-7 year hiatus. Nostalgia is a powerful thing. Look at the entertainment industry in the past 5 years, playing on the 90s nostalgia.

Though some could also argue 2nd gen is also the last gen that will truly benefit from the nostalgia effect.

Millennials are the last generations that will truly experience nostalgia.

Mix-Collage-02-Feb-2024-08-56-PM-7523.jpg

Edited once, last by fdblink ().

• Wut? :whatb:

Nostalgia is created by reliving the past and sharing similar experience with those around you, longing for the good ol days.

Millennials (and older, maybe gen Z) lived in a time where everyone experienced the same things and not everything was recorded or easily relivable. People of the generation lived a similar and relatable experience.

There were limited channels on TV and you only had a few shows you can watch and on certain time slot. For most, if you missed it, you have to wait until next time its air. People bought their music from local stores and still had a limited selection relative to what is available today. Most of the stuff had to be in memories.

The power of nostalgia lies in our imperfect memories of the past. Nostalgia isn't about the details but the experience, it's about how the times felt instead of how it actually happened.

With the current generations now, you have streaming services like Netflix, HBO, Disney+, you can rewatch old movies anytime you want, easily accessible at the palm of your hands. You can watch most old content on Youtube somewhere with every detail. Our rose color glasses becomes alot more clear.

Digital and streaming services also means instead of consuming the content that is available at the time on the limited amount of channels you had, you can choose to watch whatever you want. Instead of listening to songs only popular enough to be on the radio, you can listen to whatever you like.

With the improvement of technology and the digital era, kids no longer have to dig through childhood memories. Everyones phone now have cameras and everything is recorded. You want to check on the past, you can check on Facebook what happened on certain date and time. You can watch any movie you want at any time and listen to any music you want at any time. Much of what I mentioned contributes to the feeling of nostalgia, many with argue those who grew up in the digital era will never experience nostalgia the same way as previous generations.

• Nostalgia is a sentimental affection for the past, which advances in technology would have little affect on. For starters, personal nostalgia and communal nostalgia are two different things. Even if we're speaking strictly in terms of communal nostalgia, having a larger amount of media at your fingertips will typically do little to change what's actually popular and which group experiences people will remember communally. Media consumption hasn't changed nearly as much as the methods in which it's delivered. There could be a billion TV channels and there would still be a show that's #1 in the ratings for your country. Same goes for song charts and top 40 radio, which people still listen to despite having other options. Our media consumption simply isn't that fractured yet (it also wasn't THAT much more homogenous 30 years ago. In fact, I think I had more TV channels in the 90s than I do now...) We have things we didn't before, such as streaming services, but those are super popular, meaning they are creating a communal experience still.

Sure, you can choose to live the hipster life and end up with a fondness for things most other people never experienced, but that was always the case, and you'll still feel personal nostalgia for those things once enough time has passed. The Internet and our general connectedness has made it much easier to find others who shared similar niche interests as well, you who can then share your nostalgia with (while I wouldn't say it's something I feel nostalgic about, despite being around long enough to have followed these 2nd gen groups, a lot of us would have never been introduced to Kpop without this very digital age connectedness.) Everyone becomes nostalgic at some point. Youngsters wouldn't know, because they aren't old enough to be nostalgic, but they will experience that longing for the past eventually.

Edited 7 times, last by jt3000 ().

• Everyone's saying yes but tbh...I think 2nd gen had more general public appeal. I think the fandom would still be there to support, but your average Korean might not care all that much. This could age bad lol

Wut? Twice, RV, BP and Mamamoo were huge in their peaks. RV still charting top 3 over 8 years after debut (without long hiatus to build nostalgia), i doubt any of those second gen groups did that. Twice had 9 #1 songs in a row when charts were at their most competitive 2016-2018. BP still charting top 2.

• No they were not since we are talking about the big groups here. The biggest groups of 2nd gen were not touring like the biggest GGs of 3rd gen.

They certainly were.

SNSD at the time was the biggest touring gg in the world and had like 5 of the 10 biggest grossing gg tours of all time beaten by the likes of Spice Girls. I think only BP has since grossed more with with a much longer tour and more frequent stops.

Kara was was at the time the 2nd biggest touring gg in the world for a short time till members leaving. I think 2ne1 also had success with Japan tour and other ggs had smaller Asia and Japan tours which also brought in relatively big numbers for them.

• They certainly were.

SNSD at the time was the biggest touring gg in the world and had like 5 of the 10 biggest grossing gg tours of all time beaten by the likes of Spice Girls. I think only BP has since grossed more with with a much longer tour and more frequent stops.

Kara was was at the time the 2nd biggest touring gg in the world for a short time till members leaving. I think 2ne1 also had success with Japan tour and other ggs had smaller Asia and Japan tours which also brought in relatively big numbers for them.

At that time doesn’t count. It wasn’t enough hence why they faded. Twice can tour both japan and America. And they will do so much more consistently. SNSD were never consistent in Japan like Twice let alone US.

BP and Twice’s fandom and concert power has gone up even 6-7 years past debut. And that’s why they are not gonna fade.

You don’t have to take my word for it. You’ll see it happen lol. And if you believe twice don’t have touring power that’s much higher than SNSD and Kara. Well I have nothing to say to that lol.

• They certainly were.

They were touring Korea & Japan. That's it. Maybe the occasional stop in Southeast Asia. None of those groups were ever touring the US or other major markets outside of Asia.

• They were touring Korea & Japan. That's it. Maybe the occasional stop in Southeast Asia. None of those groups were ever touring the US or other major markets outside of Asia.

You do realise that shows how powerful they were right? They were touring only east Asia and still pulling in gang buster numbers for attendance and rrevenue that still outdid most current groups.

• At that time doesn’t count. It wasn’t enough hence why they faded. Twice can tour both japan and America. And they will do so much more consistently. SNSD were never consistent in Japan like Twice let alone US.

BP and Twice’s fandom and concert power has gone up even 6-7 years past debut. And that’s why they are not gonna fade.

You don’t have to take my word for it. You’ll see it happen lol. And if you believe twice don’t have touring power that’s much higher than SNSD and Kara. Well I have nothing to say to that lol.

Says older roups didn't match current groups.

Explain they did and even surpassed some.

ThAt DoEsNt CoUnT

:pepe-clown-gear:

• You do realise that shows how powerful they were right? They were touring only east Asia and still pulling in gang buster numbers for attendance and rrevenue that still outdid most current groups.

Except they didn't outdo the groups that have a larger touring footprint now. They were only outdoing their contemporaries that toured the same places as them. It's also not a big deal to say you're the biggest girl group in the world when practically all of the big girl groups were not only coming out of the same country at that time, but also staying fairly close to home. There were no true worldwide phenomenons like the Spice Girls. Even if all of the big girl groups are still Kpop groups, some of them holding actual world tours instead of staying in East Asia gives them more legitimacy than what they had back then.

• They were touring Korea & Japan. That's it. Maybe the occasional stop in Southeast Asia. None of those groups were ever touring the US or other major markets outside of Asia.

What does that have to do with scale of the tour? twice has similar attendance numbers compared to top of 2nd gen. Is location really that important? Only blackpink is showing different level.

• What does that have to do with scale of the tour? twice has similar attendance numbers compared to top of 2nd gen. Is location really that important? Only blackpink is showing different level.

The numbers for Twice aren't similar anymore, but even if they were, being able to reach a wider audience would still be more impressive than filling venues of a similar size in just one region. There's more important metrics to deciding a group's worldwide popularity than just the raw number of butts in seats.

• Except they didn't outdo the groups that have a larger touring footprint now. They were only outdoing their contemporaries that toured the same places as them. It's also not a big deal to say you're the biggest girl group in the world when practically all of the big girl groups were not only coming out of the same country at that time, but also staying fairly close to home. There were no true worldwide phenomenons like the Spice Girls. Even if all of the big girl groups are still Kpop groups, some of them holding actual world tours instead of staying in East Asia gives them more legitimacy than what they had back then.

What are you even trying to say anymore?

So what BP is achieveling now doesn't mean much at all because there no other gg contemporaries from any country are currently touring like them like you said about 2G era?

Wht does so called "legitimacy" hold so much weight when at the end of the day raw numbers (revenue, attendance) shows the Asia only tours were still very successful even compared to western ggs like little mix or Girls Aloud or Saturdays who toured outside Asia (like I said SNSD held 5 of the biggest tours if all time including western ggs)? It sound like you're just downplaying Asia as a poor loser place which is ironic given you're into Kpop.

• The numbers for Twice aren't similar anymore, but even if they were, being able to reach a wider audience would still be more impressive than filling venues of a similar size in just one region. There's more important metrics to deciding a group's worldwide popularity than just the raw number of butts in seats.

A wise "once" once said "Better to have 100,000 fans in one country than 10,000 fans in 10 countries". This was when blackpink was doing their first world tour in 2019.

• What are you even trying to say anymore?

So what BP is achieveling now doesn't mean much at all because there no other gg contemporaries from any country are currently touring like them like you said about 2G era?

Wht does so called "legitimacy" hold so much weight when at the end of the day raw numbers (revenue, attendance) shows the Asia only tours were still very successful even compared to western ggs like little mix or Girls Aloud or Saturdays who toured outside Asia (like I said SNSD held 5 of the biggest tours if all time including western ggs)? It sound like you're just downplaying Asia as a poor loser place which is ironic given you're into Kpop.

I'm saying your narrative that 2nd gen groups could tour just like the top 3rd gen groups is inaccurate. SNSD could not tour outside of Asia. They made one TV appearance in the US and were never heard from again outside of KCON, which isn't even an individual concert.

What BP (and others) are achieving is impressive for a Kpop group. There have been bigger girl groups than them worldwide however. They simply don't have that sort of competition to worry about these days, so it's easy to say "biggest girl group in da world!" Same goes for the 2nd gen groups. No one else was putting out popular girl groups at that time.

Legitimacy is important because... when isn't it? Having people worldwide know your name is objectively better than having only Koreans or Japanese know who you are. It doesn't matter if you can fill the Tokyo Dome, this will still hold true. And guess what, Twice even filled the Tokyo Dome recently! Three times! But the fact that they're popular enough to also tour in places where previous groups could not is, yes, more impressive! I'm not downplaying anything, it's common sense really.

• A wise "once" once said "Better to have 10,000 fans in one country than 1000 fans in 10 countries". This was when blackpink was doing their first world tour in 2019.

They were wrong. People said a lot of stupid things back then, when at the end of the day their tours were similarly successful, making all the trash talking rather pointless. Maybe one day JYPE will allow Twice to tour Europe as well, because I'm sure they could.

• This thread contains 7 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!