Do you prefer to date/marry within your own ethnicity or not?

• Do you prefer to date/marry withing your own ethnicity or not?

Alot of people prefer to date/marry within your own ethnicity

Dudes from my cultural background are born with centuries of misogyny and sexism embedded in their brain. It will take more than a life time to make them unlearn that. That life time being wasted is not gonna be mine.

+ knowing that women within my community have been murdered bc they did better than their SO career wise. I am not getting stabbed if my bigger paycheck emasculate some dudes.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Dudes from my cultural background are born with centuries of misogyny and sexism embedded in their brain. It will take more than a life time to make them unlearn that. That life time being wasted is not gonna be mine.

I've dated people of all colors, but I definitely would not date anyone who had misogynist or sexist views. I don't date anyone who doesn't treat me like a queen and advise the rest of you to do the same.

Of course, it does not follow that people of a certain ethnicity always hold the same views, though culturally I see where you're coming from.

• I've dated people of all colors, but I definitely would not date anyone who had misogynist or sexist views. I don't date anyone who doesn't treat me like a queen and advise the rest of you to do the same.

Of course, it does not follow that people of a certain ethnicity always hold the same views, though culturally I see where you're coming from.

The problem is some of the women in my culture also push for those sexist POVs, which is why they are very prominent.

The lady I mentioned in the op, she was a very successful financial advisor and had two houses. Her parents arranged her marriage. She requested prenup from her fiance and that offended him enough to stab her 30 times.

The most disgusting thing about this is her parents took his side and tried to be character witness for him bc they thought what she did was disrespectful.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I don't have preferences, but I legit don't know many Indian people my age irl so like... idk that's not something that's easy for me to actively seek ig? The community here is super white.

💣🎇 P1Harmony 5th Mini Album 'HARMONY : SET IN' OUT NOW!!!💥💣
    b675bae17756d66b1c583cc777acfaac3606736b.gifv7e6700291c446212998eba09549f464a739c91a3.gifv4cd7cc8dafce05255d7d96dfae0cd85dc47c4e21.gifv

P1harmony|SHINee|ITZY|ONF|Monsta X|Purple Kiss|KARD|ONEWE|Pentagon|Billlie|NCT Dream|Ghost9|GOT7

• THAT'S BEYOND DISGUSTING WTF. I really hope she recovered and disowned her parents. That kinda shit should qualify her for the witness protection program

unfortunately she passed away and her parents inherited her houses

they even used her money to hire a lawyer for him

People like that srsly dont deserve to live for being that horrible to their own children

• unfortunately she passed away and her parents inherited her houses

they even used her money to hire a lawyer for him

People like that srsly dont deserve to live for being that horrible to their own children

people like them can go to hell for my part

• Yes for the ease of mind for the parents

My parents believe I will eventually marry one of the SHINee guys (this is srsly not a joke)

I need to now

for their ease of mind

• it's just easier if they are already familiar with my culture but it's not a necessity for me personally, I also spoke with my mother about this one time and she just said that the only important thing is that the person has to have good behavior and love me so :pepe-just-smile:

What about the religion? Will they be ok to marry outside the religion?

Just asking bc we got the same religion background

• My parents believe I will eventually marry one of the SHINee guys (this is srsly not a joke)

I need to now

for their ease of mind

Yes good to know they are delulu as you :pepe-tinfoil-hat:

• Yes good to know they are delulu as you :pepe-tinfoil-hat:

They go like why not? You have liked them for so long and even seen them.

I'm like yeah, I saw them in concert......with 50k other people

• I don’t care about the ethnicity.

As long as the person is respectful and treats me well.

But it does make things easier if someone understands your culture and experience and very often it’s someone from your own ethnicity. Sometimes interracial couples struggle with that.

Being an African, Ghanian by roots to be more exact, I love my culture. Unfortunately many men in Ghana or from Ghana still have conservative views of a relationship, but there has been a big shift to more modern views recently and the guys raised here in Germany are pretty modern too. Not all of them, but enough to have options.

• I don’t care about the ethnicity.

As long as the person is respectful and treats me well.

But it does make things easier if someone understands your culture and experience and very often it’s someone from your own ethnicity. Sometimes interracial couples struggle with that.

Being an African, Ghanian by roots to be more exact, I love my culture. Unfortunately many men in Ghana or from Ghana still have conservative views of a relationship, but there has been a big shift to more modern views that recently and the guys raised here in Germany are pretty modern too. Not all of them, but enough to have opinions.

I undrestand wanting to have similar cultural experience since your experience has been positive.

For me sharing same cultural experience means they were raised to lord over women.

Another interesting point you mentioned is that Ghanian people raised in western countries have more liberal views.

Unfortunately for people in my culture it's the opposite. I feel like the ones raised back in my mother's country have grown and became more open and liberal. But the ones raised here in western countries became more conservative.

• Actually, that's where my parents disagree. My dad wants someone within our religion (I'm an athiest though I don't tell them because they would keel over and die on the spot) and my mom just wants me to be happy

I find this to be true for me too. My dad wants me to marry someone Jamaican whereas my mom just wants someone to treat me right. I don't fault my Dad though, he would just like someone to understand our culture since our family (esp his side) is very family oriented.

EDIT: He's accepted all my boyfriends too as long as they treat me right. My Mom is actually far more critical of them and their finances, LOL

• Yes for the ease of mind for the parents

Idk why I always thought you are Caucasian for some reason

• I have no preference and I’m in an interracial relationship. Someone’s race and ethnicity has never been a factor to me when trying to find a connection with someone so I’ve dated men outside of my race and ethnicity. Race/ethnicity and culture are connected though so we had to navigate that to try to find a common ground between us. So far, so good 😊

• could not care less ngl. Even though im dating a korean guy atm, if i like you enough to date you, idk what you look like

Ults: Enhypen, Xikers | Jungwon, Yujun

Bias: Woonhak | EJ

BOYNEXTDOOR | &Team

"Stray kids does not mean strait kids"

External Content youtu.be

• Less on the cauc :smirks2:

idk the whole gun thing throw me off

for me when I imagine someone progun its like

Shooting GIF - Cowboy Gun Shooting - Discover & Share GIFs

• The problem is some of the women in my culture also push for those sexist POVs, which is why they are very prominent.

The lady I mentioned in the op, she was a very successful financial advisor and had two houses. Her parents arranged her marriage. She requested prenup from her fiance and that offended him enough to stab her 30 times.

The most disgusting thing about this is her parents took his side and tried to be character witness for him bc they thought what she did was disrespectful.

Wth…how awful! Her own parents though? X(

• I’m not that progun :pepe-slash:

so you dont look like this?

brad pitt | GIF | PrimoGIF

• Yes, because my culture is a big part of who i am and i will want to be with someone that understands that. But there are not many Nigerians that are dateable around me. I am fine with dating someone, not from Nigeria as long as they treat me right

• It’s actually not a uncommon phenomenon. Tbh it’s something one of my Turkish friends told me as well.

I think there are several theories for that.

One being that conservative and patriarchal views are already deeply ingrained in the culture or religion making it part of their identity so it makes it harder to unlearn certain things without a reform which will take decades.

Second the desire to uphold shared values with your people in a foreign country especially being the minority. And i think that desire grows even stronger if you’re ethnicity as a whole being stigmatized in the country you live in. This results in them getting more protective of their ethnicity as a way to protect their identity. Unfortunately this also means holding unto views that many would deem backwards.

• I am mixed race so that has never been an issue for me. I am African American (on my mom's side) and Mexican American (on my dad's side). My girlfriend is White from Greece. We share things and help each other learn new things about our cultures. My girlfriend has lived in Greece her whole life so she has never tired Mexican food so I want to make some for her. Tbh I'm so bad a cooking we will probably just have to go to a restaurant :pepe-peek:

• I just want someone that loves me, but I won't get it unfortuently. If I marry someone who is not from South India(specifically Kerala) and can't speak Malayalam, my parents will kill me.

Plus, I won't have much of a choice in my marriage since I am headed for an arranged marriage for sure now after the only couple who were in a love marriage that my parents supported, the husband cheated on the wife, they got divorced and my hopes went bye bye. Those two were my last hope, thanks a lot jerk husband!

Heck my parents even said that "we should not follow the American way for marriages" after the husband cheated on the wife.

Recently, my mom found out I was in health and I am guessing she got the syllabus(it included that one of the things we were going to learn about is dating relationships and well s*x). S

o obviously, my mom was like, don't follow the American way and don't listen to what they are saying!

Not only that, my parents have other bad experience with love marriages. My uncle(who my parents hate because of valid reasons unrelated to his marriage) was in a love marriage, and my parents(especially my mom) judged my uncle for it and called it disgraceful that my uncle and my aunt shared a house before they were married.

It's tradition where I come from in India to have an arranged marriage. The only people that get to have love marriages without getting judged that much by the public(especially the older generation) are celebrities and super rich people, which is why most people don't judge my uncle despite his love marriage.

Unfortuently, I don't have the privelge of being super rich or being a celeb, so if I get in a love marriage(even with someone from Kerala that speaks Malayalam) my relatives will gossip about me and well, my family's image would be tarnished.

My family needs atleast one person that follows the whole arranged marriage, my brother was born in the U.S. and is going to grow up with complete American values, so it's very likely he will get a love marriage. So the responsibilty falls on me.

Now moving on, I don't really know my "type" fully though. I know I like nice guys(or atleast ones that I think are nice). My last actual crush was the same ethnicity as me(Indian) and my celebrity/influencer crush rn is Half Indian and Half German. So yeah.

So yeah, my ethnicity type I haven't figured out, but I do know some things about the person I am gonna marry lol.

Ok, why did I go full on life story lol.

• Im really sorry about this

I hope your parents opinion changes by the time you are ready to get married

• This thread contains 10 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!