BTS exemption decision will be wrapped up in April

• Screenshot_20220411-190105_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220411-190119_Chrome.jpg

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited 2 times, last by paradis ().

• I feel so torn on this...

I don't look forward to the hiatus that would follow enlistment, but at the same time I'm really worried about potential backlash from the public.

:-(

I don't look forward to the hiatus that would follow enlistment, but at the same time I'm really worried about potential backlash from the public.

At the end of the day the boys know what is best, so if they get exemption and they accept it, they will do so knowing the consequences.

• There are a lot of things to weigh here. They are SK UN ambassadors and have spoken there twice. They bring tremendous visibility to SK. The bring in a great deal of revenue to the country. Plus they are a key for tourism for SK. Is that worth sending some or all members into the military for 18 months.

I support BTS in whatever decision they make, it’s their lives. I don’t see some giant backlash over this. The topic of their military service has been discussed and discussed for how many years. I would assume that the people of SK are just as tired of it to

• Whatever the decision, BTS will be fine. ARMYs are not going anywhere.

Pann/theqoo isn't public. Public polls support their exemption, so I am not worried about what Korean incels and antis think.

• The person in the OP is

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• It looks like the criteria is going to be the BBMA, the AMA and the Grammys? I'm confused about the Hot 100 #1, if it's going to be part of the criteria or not.

I sort of got that too. Is it being nominated or winning? Because what other group could ever achieve this trifecta again?

• ◆ Sung Il-jong >To explain that, if you go to the Olympics and win gold medals, it will have an economic inducement effect of about 269 billion won. But if you get into the Billboard and win in a week, It has an economic inducement effect of 1.6 trillion won. So now BTS has won 17 weeks so far, and it is now giving about 56 trillion won in national profits. So, when it comes to a country, many talented people gather to lead one and raise the national standard. In terms of pop culture, there are great musicians like BTS, so it can be seen that Korea's nationality is contributing greatly even in terms of economic transformation.

i used papago for translating this

[이앤피] 성일종 "BTS병역 면제, 이달 중 마무리 하겠다"
    ■ 방송 : YTN 라디오 FM 94.5 (13:00~14:00) ■ 진행 : 김우성 앵커 ■ 방송일 : 2022년 4월 11일 (월요일) ■ 대담 : 성일종 국민의힘 의원 * 아래 텍스트는 실제 방송 내용과 차이가
    n.news.naver.com

i guess they are going to look at bts economic effect and will put this forward as a point in the national assembly when the bill is discussed

• The person below this sentence would be waiting for the verdict with a great deal of attention too

If their exemption is not granted, she returns to become the top dog of KPop.

• ◆ Sung Il-jong >To explain that, if you go to the Olympics and win gold medals, it will have an economic inducement effect of about 269 billion won. But if you get into the Billboard and win in a week, It has an economic inducement effect of 1.6 trillion won. So now BTS has won 17 weeks so far, and it is now giving about 56 trillion won in national profits

I read that, but these numbers...

Each gold medal induces $218M and one Hot 100 #1 induces $1.3B? 17 #1s induce ₩56T, 5x the market cap of HYBE?

I don't know, man. These numbers look a lot bigger than they should.

• I read that, but these numbers...

Each gold medal induces $218M and one Hot 100 #1 induces $1.3B? 17 #1s induce ₩56T, 5x the market cap of HYBE?

the 1 billion dollars for dynamite's very first hot 100 number 1 is comes from this study done by korea's ministry of culture and tourism

they will have to figure out how to look at the effects of subsequent hot 100 number 1s

• Tbh, I dont get why its so complicated to set the criterias if they want to ammend it..

Basing it on chart perfomance on anothers countrys chart is just dumb. What about japan chart? or if someone tops england, france and germany at the same time?

Equally is basing it on how much money someone brings in with no exact way to calculate it, and opens it up for all kinds of abuse.

Just grant anyone that is awarded the order of cultural merit exemption by default. Done.

• I read that, but these numbers...

I mean, unless its a gold medal in of the few big sports theres is no way it brings in 218m usd, thats just silly fantasy numbers. That would be a stretch even for Kim Yuna, but some unknown archer gold medalist that cant even make a living on the sport is not bringing in hundreds of millions of dollar no matter how you count it.

BTS backlash won't be anything more than what they have received till now. Do I want that for BTS? No. But I think it will be like a passing wind.

BTS have done more for their country than most if not all people in Korea's history. But now BTS impact is not limited to Korea. BTS impact is felt worldwide and is important for other countries as well. Imagine the backlash Korea will receive if they make ANY of the BTS members enlist.

btw i have a feeling a lot of these comments bashing bts/jin are fangirls of other boygroups or incel men in their 20's :pepestare:

It's the people who have limited and restricted thinking who can't see beyond their limited and restricted view. Government is thinking about this because they are seeing things that normal people can't. And that is called "Ripple Effects".

If they want to keep their clean image in Korea they should go because I can totally understand if Korea turns their back to them if they don't do it.

ARMY is too strong, they won't lose their power at all

Korean people's opinion isn't the only thing that matters anymore.

If these Korean people turn their back on BTS even after them doing so much for their country then they actually don't deserve what they have now and will only regret in the future.

It looks like the criteria is going to be the BBMA, the AMA and the Grammys? I'm confused about the Hot 100 part, chart ≠ award.

The criteria should be the revenue they are boosting into SK economy, tourism and improving national prestige etc of SK imo.

Charting and money should never be the criterias. Those are quantifiable things.

Common sense. End thread.

• the 1 billion dollars for dynamite's very first hot 100 number 1 is comes from this study done by korea's ministry of culture and tourism

they will have to figure out how to look at the effects of subsequent hot 100 number 1s

56T for 17 -> 3.3T for each

I haven't studied macroeconomics, only microeconomics, so I have no idea how those are calculated and what do they exactly mean. But 1 week is more than HYBE's 2020 revenue. And it stayed for multiple weeks. At first glance, it looks like overestimation too me. Possibly, the technical definition is a lot more inclusive than just value created, that's why the numbers are so big. But here they're using it to convince other politicians and the people that it's worth it, when almost no one understands what this value actually means. In other words, politicians doing politics.

• Just grant anyone that is awarded the order of cultural merit exemption by default. Done.

They tried to do it at first... but multiple entertainment companies started crying that it was too unfair.

Keep in mind, these were the same companies who used BTS name and image for years for media play to get exemptions for their own acts too in future.

No BigHit nor BTS were present in any of those meetings but their names and achievememts were still used, resulting in years of verbal and internet abuse for BTS.

When Korean govt took notice and started to seriously consider BTS for exemption and making Order of Cultural Merit as the criteria this was the response:

IMG_20220411_201811.jpg

Because obviously who else could get it and that too under the age of 30. The new supposed criteria is the lenient one, but people are still crying.

"Overspending on my pens, that are more in number... than your fans" - Suga.

• This thread contains 74 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!