LE SSERAFIM's pre-debut teasers face backlash for over sexualizing youth [AKP News -to> Forum]

• 1649536148-collage.jpg

LE SSERAFIM's pre-debut teasers are facing backlash for the over-sexualization of young women.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Shortly after the HYBE Label revealed the pre-debut teaser titled "Casting Call" on April 10 at midnight KST, many netizens didn't hesitate to voice their concerns regarding the over-sexualization of young women given some of the members in the group are minor.

Netizens commented: "I have been keeping quiet since I didn't want the upcoming girl groups to be associated with such things but come on, this is getting way too obvious."

"What kind of idol audition-or any audition- makes the candidates wear a slip dress and pose in front of the camera in a dim light?"

"The camera angle and POV...who the hell thought this concept was a good idea?"

"This is 2022 for god's sake."

"Idols should be main characters in their teasers. But this teaser was taken in a perspective where the viewers get to judge and objectify them."

"Now I can definitely tell there is no female rep on their management."

"Are international fans okay with this concept? This is beyond appalling."

"Where can I find 'fearless' in that teaser? smh"

"The youngest was born in 06 come on HYBE, this isn't right."

"Okay, I'm going to wait for Min Hee Jin's group later this year. I've never seen anything so obsolete in the past decade."

Meanwhile, this isn't the first time the label faced such criticism. Previously, the group's pre-debut concept photos where members are seen wearing the heels with tennis gears first drew criticism for the over-sexualization of the youth and objectifying women in sports.

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2022/04/le-sserafims-pre-debut-teasers-face-backlash-for-over-sexualizing-youth

What do AKP forum users think? :pepe-tea:

• ghostings

Changed the title of the thread from “[AKP News -to>Forum] LE SSERAFIM's pre-debut teasers face backlash for over sexualizing youth” to “LE SSERAFIM's pre-debut teasers face backlash for over sexualizing youth [AKP News -to> Forum]”.
  • It’s not what they’re wearing. It’s the way the video is filmed. Yes it looks predatory. The shots from above and below. The shots with their skirts and dresses hiking up. SMH kpop is a really creepy place sometimes.

• I think paid outrage is on display. Les seraphim looks like they are going to be huge. What better way to create controversy? And others will join in the band wagon. Kinda reminded me of Jennie and her nurse’s outfit.

Edit - to clarify my thoughts. I always felt kpop used young women and men and sexualised them. The outfits of leserphim are just as sexy as a lot of kpop idols so why selective outrage?

• I know people will come in here with "but it's not what they intended" yes it was... the industry isn't dumb. They know exactly what they're doing. Otherwise you wouldn't have the CEO of Mystic Story saying they purposely set out to make Billlie a group with a concept that wasn't cute or sexy and wouldn't make women uncomfortable.

• when I watched it the first time, it looked like a bunch of models going to audition. I did not think "oh no! Oversexualised teenagers!" . They just looked pretty is all. :pepe-life-support:

I wish to end this winter, how much longing must fall like snow before that spring day arrives?Spring Day

160837-for-gif

• As someone who has not watched the teaser yet:

There is gaslighting in this thread just like the other one discussing the tennis outfits.

They say you are the problem if you think there is sth wrong with it and these pictures or vids are sexual.

Gaslighting people into thinking they are in the wrong for observing sth that could be predatory. Calling them predators for questioning the intent behind an industry that is notorious for using young men and women.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I know people will come in here with "but it's not what they intended" yes it was... the industry isn't dumb. They know exactly what they're doing. Otherwise you wouldn't have the CEO of Mystic Story saying they purposely set out to make Billlie a group with a concept that wasn't cute or sexy and wouldn't make women uncomfortable.

yup, people are quick to call out companies for all kinds of nefarious conspiracy theories, but will act like the industry doesn't realize the effects when it comes to stuff like this for some reason.

• I knew this would happen, that video was a bit too mature when you have a 15 and 16 years old members on the group. IVE was getting some criticism but this is worse, I hope they don't have a too mature concept or at least wait until minors grow up

Also people like producers pds who said they wanted to make soft p*rn for men with that show.

Like get out of here with saying the men behind the scenes don't have bad intents.

• Also people like producers pds who said they wanted to make soft p*rn for men with that show.

Like get out of here with saying the men behind the scenes don't have bad intents.

Exactly. And this has been an issue for years with both female and male idols being forced to show skin.

• also love that the reaction is "creeps are gonna creep what can you do?" instead of "hey maybe we should be a bit overly protective of minors considering how many stories have come out about female idols feeling exploited by being pushed into sexy concepts by their companies"

Very on brand with kpop stans.

• Depends on perspective.

To be honest, I didn't see anything wrong with the angle, lighting, or setting at which the video was filmed, but maybe I didn't make the connection. It looked like a typical photoshoot to me. Photos or videos taken at a lower height have always been a technique to make the subject appear taller. If we go into it with preconceived ideas, we'll definitely interpret things as sexual when they might not be.

Sure, some variables could have been switched out to be more "modest," but creeps will still be creeps, always sexualizing something.

This take wasn’t it.

• i kind of agree tbh. the tennis concept photos were fine including garams but some of the shots in this video do make me feel uncomfortable. i think they should've let at least the younger two ones to grow up before doing such fearless concepts.

eunchae and garam are only 15 and 16, being a part of a group that is portrayed as "sexy" is very unfair to them.

Edited once, last by mygsbeat ().

• Depends on perspective.

To be honest, I didn't see anything wrong with the angle, lighting, or setting at which the video was filmed, but maybe I didn't make the connection. It looked like a typical photoshoot to me. Photos or videos taken at a lower height have always been a technique to make the subject appear taller. If we go into it with preconceived ideas, we'll definitely interpret things as sexual when they might not be.

Sure, some variables could have been switched out to be more "modest," but creeps will still be creeps, always sexualizing something.

I don't think it's fair to pin this on "preconceived notions" as if anyone who does interpret it this way has a personal issue or is looking for a reason to to not like it. It's like when people say "well, ofc if you're looking for racism you're gonna find it, you're just too sensitive". I was certainly wasn't looking to be offended and I'm no prude.

This reminds me of the difference between the way Wonder Woman was shot in her own movie vs how she was shot in the Justice League. There was a world of difference.

• Bruh, people's concept of sexy has really went backwards, almost like we are in middle ages where you have to have your legs and arms covered. What is sexy about any of those?

• This thread contains 100 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!