"Nugu groups are nugu for a reason": do you agree with this?

• I read many times this statement from kpop fans that nugu groups are nugu for a reason, especially used to bash them and their music by saying "yeah they are so bad, they are nugu for a reason"

I don't completely agree, as I think some nugu groups I like deserve the same success of big and mid tier groups but they could never because they are from nugu companies without the resources to properly promote them.

What is your opinion on that statement?

Do you agree with it?

EXOEXIST - The 7th Album 2023.07.10
    https://i.postimg.cc/TYFk7v3d/letmeinexo-1.gif https://i.postimg.cc/G2XKvZf1/letmeinexo-2.gif

Edited once, last by KaiRismatic ().

• I don't. Many of them just lack the ability (either financial or connection) to promote the way bigger groups do. I also think many kpop stans have extremely narrow definitions of success.

• as I think some nugu groups I like deserve the same success of big and mid tier groups but they could never because they are from nugu companies without the resources to properly promote them.

true

not sure how their stats look but this song should have been there big break

External Content open.spotify.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• i completely disagree. there are so many factors that goes into a group getting popular, and talent may be one of them, but not always one.

• Is says page not found :eyes:

https://i.postimg.cc/TYFk7v3d/letmeinexo-1.gif https://i.postimg.cc/G2XKvZf1/letmeinexo-2.gif

• ofc the reason is lack of funds

With enough money any group can come out of nugudom

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I love this song

• no of course not

the two things that attracts kpop fans the most is high production value and the image of a group

a nugu group simply cant afford the expenses required to compete on these fronts most of the times

talent matters so so so little in kpop its insane

and i wont deny, i too would only stan a group if I like their music regardless of there being more talented ( as in technical skills ) idols out there but atleast anyone CAN make good songs

not anyone can use huge marketing budgets without taking significant risks

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• ofc the reason is lack of funds

With enough money any group can come out of nugudom

Yes they are nugu for a reason. The reason is less exposure.

I mean, kpop fans use that statement to say nugu groups music is bad because they are "nugu" and so there is a reason

This is what I meant

There are nugu groups with really good music and sadly they will never come out of nugudom

• Hell no, the amount of gems in small companies, just look at realities like Produce seasons, Girls Planet and others, Kang Daniel would die in nugudom even with all his star quality. And not just the members, there's amazing songs from nugu groups. Elris is a good example, the company management isn't the best, but they have amazing visuals and good songs.

Special video of nugu Sohee showing dance/vocal/visual and making JYP e YG wish they discovered her sooner lol:

• in most cases yes, either the members aren't interesting enough for people, the music is bad or the company doesn't know what to do with them. but bad lack is also a thing. It just annoys me when I keep hearing everyone say a certain group is underrated. If they were really underrated, no one would say that and it's subjective

• That feels like the thinking that's already as old (and as wrong) as medieval times and ancient times: if you're poor, invalid or disease stricken then it must be something you or your parents did to deserve it, and if you're rich and of the nobility, then it must also be because God/the gods/karma/fate regard you as deserving due to your noble nature, superior humanity etc.

Same for these days: the assumption that the richest and most successful are automatically the smartest, cleverest, most deserving etc - and for K-pop groups, the most deserving, the most superior in talent, etc - is a flawed but widespread notion.

Yes, there are reasons why some groups and some companies are consistently more successful, but that has more often to do with the fact that they have the resources and means to maintain their success and to move and take advantage in their field, where smaller groups and companies simply lack the means to do so.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• External Content youtu.be

External Content youtu.be

These songs are so good and this girl group don't deserve to be nugu

• What does nugu stand for? I always see that word but never know what it means nor who it be applying to lol

Flop

• In such oversaturated market, only the best of the best succeed. Kpop isn't just about good music or talented people. It's a whole combination of that + many other factors. We have seen countless cases where nugu companies end up debuting very successful groups - bts is the biggest proof, recently we have groups like stayc, weeekly, ateez. It's a fact that nugu groups can become big if they get the right marketing strategy, if they're visually appealing, if their discography is good enough, if their concept is intriguing, bonus points if there is some nice lore to keep the fandom engaged.

To conclude, I think that yeah, nugu groups are nugus for a reason. If other nugus could make it big then so can others. But I don't think groups are to blame, most of it is something the company handle (concept, music, content, image, marketing etc)

• Yeah the reason is that kpop fans suck :cursing:

Just kidding ^^

I think the main reason nugu's are unknown is simply for the fact they don't get exposure. Most popular groups usually have some form of exposure, either company money, good producers, competitive shows, variety shows, viral moments, or are linked to some other form of entertainment such as a kdrama.

Additionally, new groups are debuting every day, so if you don't have one of those things above, you're going to be buried under those new fresh groups and left behind.

All in all I don't think it's the group or fans fault. It's just that more exposure > more easy to find content > more easy to stan > more popular > repeat

🍭 iite cool🍭

dpr layouts Tumblr posts - Tumbip.com

• Obviously they're nugu for a reason. Everything in this world happen with a reason after all. Is either their company is incompetent to promote the group, lack of charismatic members, lacks of talent or bad choreography. Just see any nugu group, their problems always revolves around this that make people not interested in them.

• Most of the the times yes tbh

Ofc there are groups that are truly underrated,but the majority of them I find to be generic and bland + their songs and MVs are simply not up to par to compete with today's super competitive market.

K-pop is known for its somewhat unfair label hierarchy,but at the end of the day it's not rocket science.Bring something new and fresh to the table,combine it with talent and charisma and you are more than likely to find success.Case and point BTS,G-Friend,StayC,Ateez,VIXX,Mamamoo etc.,all of which came from nugu labels.

• This

popular =/= good

This

Yeah the reason is that kpop fans suck :cursing:

Just kidding ^^

I think the main reason nugu's are unknown is simply for the fact they don't get exposure. Most popular groups usually have some form of exposure, either company money, good producers, competitive shows, variety shows, viral moments, or are linked to some other form of entertainment such as a kdrama.

Additionally, new groups are debuting every day, so if you don't have one of those things above, you're going to be buried under those new fresh groups and left behind.

All in all I don't think it's the group or fans fault. It's just that more exposure > more easy to find content > more easy to stan > more popular > repeat

And this :

That feels like the thinking that's already as old (and as wrong) as medieval times and ancient times: if you're poor, invalid or disease stricken then it must be something you or your parents did to deserve it, and if you're rich and of the nobility, then it must also be because God/the gods/karma/fate regard you as deserving due to your noble nature, superior humanity etc.

Same for these days: the assumption that the richest and most successful are automatically the smartest, cleverest, most deserving etc - and for K-pop groups, the most deserving, the most superior in talent, etc - is a flawed but widespread notion.

Yes, there are reasons why some groups and some companies are consistently more successful, but that has more often to do with the fact that they have the resources and means to maintain their success and to move and take advantage in their field, where smaller groups and companies simply lack the means to do so.

You got your answer in these 3 post KaiRismatic I will also add the human way to conform to the group and to follow the trends without questioning. Many kpop fans are still immature and consume music in an ephemeral way (this is not necessarily a fault, they just experience their personal taste and learn to build themselves).

What is really disturbing in this kind of speech that you are pointing at is this desire to reduce to less than nothing these groups which have the courage to start and create something and besides that these same people will go to pre-order albums without even know the name of the group or will jump on the teaser of a new member of the new group of the new fashionable agency and make these groups the new stars before they have even heard a single song.

• Most of the the times yes tbh

Ofc there are groups that are truly underrated,but the majority of them I find to be generic and bland + their songs and MVs are simply not up to par to compete with today's super competitive market.

K-pop is known for its somewhat unfair label hierarchy,but at the end of the day it's not rocket science.Bring something new and fresh to the table,combine it with talent and charisma and you are more than likely to find success.Case and point BTS,G-Friend,StayC,Ateez,VIXX etc.,all of which came from nugu labels.

I agree with this but I'm not 100% sure if StayC counts as coming from a nugu company because they were made by a really famous producer and I remember their debut being hyped up a lot because of that, but other than that I agree.

Also there are opposite scenarios where groups from big labels don't get as big as people were expecting, an example being lightsum. So I think timing is important too because they were kind of overshadowed by G-idle's success

🍭 iite cool🍭

dpr layouts Tumblr posts - Tumbip.com

• Sometimes it’s the company’s fault some groups have good music but their companies don’t have ressources to promote them well.

Also companies don’t have necessarily the most talented idols but they have at least some of the prettiest and charismatic idols who can pull even the worst songs.

I’m sure with the right promotion Everglow could have been big.

• This thread contains 24 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!