If a group I stanned blew up in the West I would immediately unstan

• Hear me out.

If you are a kpop fan and your favorite group is doing well in Asia then suddenly becomes popular in the West and then shifts its focus to the West that is them saying "We aren't making music for you anymore.

They are going to change their sound to fit with Western standards to appeal to non kpop fans. Which means they aren't making the music anymore that attracted you to them. The classic "If I wanted western music I'd listen to Western music" argument.

Believe it or not but there were actually BTS fans that dropped them when they blew up in the West.

This video is comedy but its actually very true.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

If f(x) blew up and then changed to doing Destinys Child music I would have slapped them like Will Smith and yelled at them KEEP DESTINYS CHILD OUT YO FUCKING MUSIC!!!! Cause that ain't why I stanned you.

• :akorns::S

╬ Life Has Meaning ╬

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I wouldn't be surprised at ex-ARMY creating videos about why they unstanned. They already write essays. MOVE ON FOLKS.

• No one is required to be a fan. You can come and go as you please for any reason. However, it's super lame when people loudly announce that they're unstanning, as if they're important enough for anybody to actually care.

• Oh hell no, you did not just diss destiny child's music X(

You just disrespected my mum's whole cd collection, uncalled for, they have bops :pepemusic:

Also if a kpop group released a destiny's child or tlc like song I would stream it for days

I didn't mean it disrespectfully. Just an example of changing your sound and style that's not yours just to get Western popularity.

Like the video I posted where the old army said BTS sold out by changing their music to 2016 era Bruno Mars music.

• No one is required to be a fan. You can come and go as you please for any reason. However, it's super lame when people loudly announce that they're unstanning, as if they're important enough for anybody to actually care.

I think it's an interesting enough topic discuss. I like learning why people unstan groups as much as why people stanned a new group.

• The thing is though,

A lot of fans prefer the "westernisation" of their faves' music.

There are some things I could say here that are maybe, like, uncharitable, arrogant, and just plain wrong:

But it seems to me that stanning doesn't always have to do with the music, and in that case, it's better to have music that is unnoticeable.

Western pop music has mastered the art of being in the background, an aural wallpaper of indistinct and inoffensive beige.

The deliberately jarring nature of a lot of k-pop is actually an.. unwanted thing? A distraction from what they care about?

So in this instance, it's not that the group has decided to not cater to their core fans. They are catering to them. By giving them what they want. Which is oatmeal in sound form.

I dunno, cancel me.

especially a group like bts who's fandom is only getting bigger

• Anyways in all seriousness, I think it's fine if you want to unstan a music group if they're music is no longer your taste, but then gaining success in a specific country is a weird reason to unstan in my opinion if you still like their music. Also I think most fans don't mind if someone unstams a group, it's the constant need to talk about unstanning them with essays that annoys people.

🍭 iite cool🍭

dpr layouts Tumblr posts - Tumbip.com

• lmao people make such a huge deal about westernization, like if its a bop then its a bop? i will keep stanning? if they don'te resonate with you anymore then leave? no one's gonna beg you to stay.

• I'm sorry but I'm having trouble following you. Are you saying kpop is sometimes too complicated and fans just want normal?

My bad. Im slow today.

• Anyways in all seriousness, I think it's fine if you want to unstan a music group if they're music is no longer your taste, but then gaining success in a specific country is a weird reason to unstan in my opinion if you still like their music. Also I think most fans don't mind if someone unstams a group, it's the constant need to talk about unstanning them with essays that annoys people.

What are these essays yall keep referring to? Must be a twitter thing. I'm not on Twitter.

• I'm sorry but I'm having trouble following you. Are you saying kpop is sometimes too complicated and fans just want normal?

My bad. Im slow today.

It's not so much "complicated/normal" so much as,

"What the fuck is this?!"

vs.

"Ahh, that's pleasant."

For an example here.

nmixx has stans, apparently.

But they seem to just kinda.. tolerate the music? I mean, I'm sure some of them love it. But I'm seeing a lot of, you know, "It's not that bad", which isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

If they started releasing music that sounded like Ariana Grande though?

Fans? Pleased. Very pleased.

• Gotcha ya.

Western music is just more digestible.

• Classic kpop fan gatekeeping upset that kpop is no longer their little secret. Korea is only but so big so kpop groups naturally want to expand their fanbase. Its only a problem when group cater to the West but totally acceptable for groups to make entire albums in Japanese. Like Japan is the 2nd biggest music market in the world they aren't doing it just for fun, its profitable and now they are moving to the US aka the 1 biggest market for the same thing.

Pretty sure this whole post is just trying to turn a "them" problem into a BTS problem. OP says:

If you are a kpop fan and your favorite group is doing well in Asia then suddenly becomes popular in the West and then shifts its focus to the West that is them saying "We aren't making music for you anymore.

The amount of time OP spends trying to throw mud at them...

Why are you so obsessed with me?

Imagine what things he could achieve if he just let go of that chip on his shoulder...

A Girl Can Dream GIFs | Tenor

• Trophy GIF - Find on GIFER

• I think it's an interesting enough topic discuss. I like learning why people unstan groups as much as why people stanned a new group.

The topic can be interesting just not when people make long youtube videos about it and crap like that.

• that's a fine position to take my friend

if one is no longer enjoying the music released by a group because of change of direction or whatever then it would be natural to unstan

different strokes for different folks

• Is it interesting? I mean I've answered question why, but have never asked why myself really. If figure it's personal to everyone.

I think that's why it could be interesting- all the different reasons. I've switched from stan to fan (or even left an artist completely) for several non-kpop groups and soloists over the years and it's been for varying reasons that tend to reflect whatever was going on in my life and what my mental state was at the time.

• I think that's why it could be interesting- all the different reasons. I've switched from stan to fan (or even left an artist completely) for several non-kpop groups and soloists over the years and it's been for varying reasons that tend to reflect whatever was going on in my life and what my mental state was at the time.

Hmmm, I haven't really, but I think it's because to stan to me is to be invested in them not just for their music, but also as people and what they stand for. But you're right, I guess it could be interesting - we all come at it from different POVs

• This thread contains 20 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!