I'm Sad To Say This But I Think I May Unstan WEEEKLY

• I'm Sad To Say This But I Think I May Unstan WEEEKLY

2950087ea818635d06bbfd415579ae95298f8c38.gifv

I know some hate these kinds of posts. And I've never done one. But I think it helps to get your thoughts out, not as a criticism, but as a sort of closure seeking action. Stanning in kpop often involves varying levels of emotional attachment for one reason or another. And when that emotional attachment comes to a close, I think there's a desire to sort out one's thoughts and feeling, which by circumstance often take the form of "I unstanned" posts, as much as they are often derided by remaining continued stans as "unnecessary" or just actions of an anti. Our kpop community is one of connections and a shared culture of love of kpop and groups that is by nature nearly entirely online. We channel all our emotional connection to this world through the medium of forums and threads and typing it all out. So the only way to vent, so to speak, is to post it out to the world.

And so, this is mine. But I'd more accurately call it a lament. Rather than a rant or criticism.

I stanned WEEEKLY immediately at debut. It was uncharacteristic of me. I've never committed that early to a group. Usually it's built on a longer process of falling in love over time or being pulled in by a certain member that acts as anchor solidifying my love of the group as a whole. Usually this process takes time. But with WEEEKLY, I made the decision very nearly instantaneously, in the throes of being enamored with their debut song and MV, Tag Me!. In Tag Me!, I found one of my favorite debuts in kpop ever. Such a breath of fresh air and infectious charm and energy culminating in a chorus that just soars to heights that left me astounded. I had this feeling WEEEKLY was everything I wanted in a group. And in that moment, a time when I had been liking TWICE's musical direction less than I wanted , it connected to me in a way as if a life preserver to one cast asea. WEEEKLY Tag Me! was exactly the thing I had been looking for at just the right time. Something that got me excited for kpop again and dreaming of what they could become. I stanned, very nearly entirely, based all on this song and the implicit assumptions and expectation that song represented to me. As TWICE faces a potential winding down, less active future and perhaps a directional focus not as connecting to me, here was the great hope for the future of my kpop experience. The boat I'd take forward.

I stanned. Put them in my signature and went all in declaring them kpop's next great refresh.

Only after time went on, I never connected with their subsequent comebacks to that degree again, despite finding them enjoyable. My "stanning" continued to be supported entirely on the promise of that glorious debut and the hope of them hitting that height again. In hindsight, I don't think I established enough to really Stan. Despite loving the members and finding them charming and talented, I've never become fond of them in any individual sense like I am of Tzuyu or Yoona. So there's not that member attachment foundation to keep me connected even when the music doesn't hit me emotionally.

Which comes to my consideration of potentially unstanning. I've held on as a Stan on the basis of that debut, not really admitting whether such a tenuous foundation is really enough. I would say I'm a Stan here and on other forums But I think emotionally I became more to just have casual fondness for the group. I like them. And will keep checking in on them as they continue. But I think I have to officially relegate myself to a non-stan.

One might say I should wait for the next comeback to decide, and perhaps I will. But going off the previews I don't think it will be what I'm looking. Lore concepts and the like have never been my thing. (Actually a pet personal pet peeve of mine. I have an underlying dislike of "lore" narrative as a music framer, and the intellectualization of escapist pop music. I personally want something with less pretension.)

I just don't think they are the group I thought they might be. And that's my error in placing too many assumptions and expectation based on a single song. They will be the group they are and follow their own path.

So then WEEEKLY has become my Stanning Lament. My "I May Have Jumped The Gun" Stan. I had dreams of a future with them. And wanted to go on that journey with fellow Dailies along with WEEEKLY as they progress. But I don't think my heart's in it anymore. And ultimately I think I may just have to say hi once in a while. Come to visit every now and then.

I do wish them all the best in their future and will keep in touch.

Thank you WEEEKLY for the fun time I've had being a Dailie and watching your rise.

I'll see you all around!

Note: Hopefully this is an "I unstanned" post that everyone can tolerate. As I said I just needed to express my thoughts so I can close the book on this chapter.

It may seem silly to be all official about this sort of thing. But we are all here for a reason. Despite it just being "pop music". It's SERIOUS! lol.

• I feel you. There are some groups I tried to stan immediately but it didn’t work ex : loona and Weeekly I was trying so hard to stan but I gave it up I’m rooting for them but that’s it.

There is a difference between stanning and supporting a group it’s like when you date it doesn’t necessarily mean you love the person but you still attached to them but that’s it.

It’s funny ex BP but the group I had a hate-love relationship with them it came naturally and it’s better than forcing yourself

• in all seriousness i totally understand. it looks like you primarily became a fan of them because of their bright, fun concept, and that attracted you because twice were starting to shift away from the type of thing. and that's normal, that's fine. it's also perfectly fine to lose interest in the group overtime & that should be normalized in kpop tbh

also i think this should be sort of a lesson, i usually never stan groups prior to debut or at debut, until they have more material to truly impress me.

• As someone who unstanned groups in the past, I kind of understand how you feel. Sometimes you just have to move on when the time is right and that’s okay. It doesn’t make you a bad person or stanning them a mistake (unless you regret it, which it doesn’t entirely sound like you do). Even though I unstanned the groups I did, I hold no animosity towards them at all and wish them nothing but the best. I know some people hate these posts, but I don’t mind them at all. I really think I unstanning in general should be more normalized and you shouldn’t be ostracized for doing so. People should just let you go and bid you farewell with no hard feelings (just don’t milk it or openly disrespect the group and you’re fine and I don’t think you’d do that, so you’re good).

You expressed how you feel and felt really eloquently to the point where I started reading what you wrote in Mera’s voice. It was, and is, that good. If you think unstanning is the right thing to do, then you can feel free to do it. These types of posts are a great way to let people know how you feel. This way, especially if you wish to be distanced from the group or the fandom in the future, people know better than to associate you with them. Like you mentioned, it can also be a great form of closure.

Sometimes people fall out of love. It’s natural. It happens with objects, people, interests, dreams and so much more. Talking about falling out of love with something shouldn’t be villainized, yet it so often is. Instead, people should acknowledge that not everyone will always love what they do. It’s our differences that make us unique. Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk. Have a great day/night!

• I always enjoy the way you convey your ideas! Everything is always well-put together.

I don't think this is a silly thread. We have the right of expressing our feelings!

It's sad that you have to let them go somehow... But it's fine. Sometimes we idealize things too much until we realize that they weren't how we think they were or the might become.

Do what makes you happy. :')

• in all seriousness i totally understand. it looks like you primarily became a fan of them because of their bright, fun concept, and that attracted you because twice were starting to shift away from the type of thing. and that's normal, that's fine. it's also perfectly fine to lose interest in the group overtime & that should be normalized in kpop tbh

also i think this should be sort of a lesson, i usually never stan groups prior to debut or at debut, until they have more material to truly impress me.

I agree with this. There have been groups where I heard a song of theirs I really loved, but then I realized that song was actually pretty atypical for them. Or where their main songs/concepts have found more mainstream popularity by going X route, and I've never been one to stan just for B sides alone. And I'm with you on trying to avoid pre-debut hype; I have no idea how anyone decides that they're already going to love X company's next gg/bg despite no songs, lyrics, concepts, or members.

I normally hate these kind of posts just because a lot of times they go the route of "I decided they suck and therefore you suck if you still like them" but this was actually pretty thoughtful.

let's be friends

e9b8a6c6366aecb3faf71dcc6b4488775b109abb.gif

• Unstanning is normal, I am considering unstanning some groups too. It's a natural process, some of us may become distanced from our fav groups and that's ok.

I too stanned some groups way too early and am conflicted whether I should unstan them. I also have unstanned a group before.

Basically, if you don't think you have anymore interest in them then you can unstan.

• I dont understand though, Holiday was way better than After School. Are you unstanning them because they're supposedly changing their concept for this upcoming comeback?

No its more that their concept change was a final straw to make me admit (also to myself) I probably "stanned" without enough connection to warrant it. It was based too much on my love of their debut song rather than on the rest of their library or the group or any of the members.

Their new comeback being in the direction of a personal pet peeve of mine "lore concepts" was just the ending push to make me finally realize and admit. "Your heart's not in this*.

• I dont understand though, Holiday was way better than After School. Are you unstanning them because they're supposedly changing their concept for this upcoming comeback?

Why are your taste so bad, After School is a masterpiece. It is what every nugu groups should try to do, taking a risk on concepts and song, instead of mish mashing and combining whatever sound they got from their staffs

Fe8TZRpaMAIFav2?format=jpg&name=large

ThinkAbouTzu, Tuwuice:pleading::pleading::pleading:

• Why are your taste so bad, After School is a masterpiece. It is what every nugu groups should try to do, taking a risk on concepts and song, instead of mish mashing and combining whatever sound they got from their staffs

After School bop.

After School life.

After School outsold.

After School queen.

After School supremacy.

These are the facts of the situation.

• I wouldn't go so far as to claim I stan a group by only 1 song and for me it takes time to declare I stan someone. I stanned Twice but just like you I didn't like their songs as much as the love I was starting to feel for GFriend around that time.

For me, and maybe it is just me, I actually never unstan a group because it was a long process to fall in love for them so while I am not as interested in Twice as I was before I wouldn't say I unstanned them because they gave me lots of songs I liked in the past and I cherish them for what they did in the past. I will always check whatever they put out and I sometimes I sometimes I will be pleased like how I liked both Alcohol Free and The Feels (this one a lot less).

Same thing happed to me and GFriend, I really didn't like Apple and Mago that much. I am lucky they still released great bsides during those eras but I never said I unstanned them even if I wasn't connected to their last comebacks as a 6 member group. I will still be a Buddy.

The only way I could ever unstan someone is if they are really shitty ppl like them being openly racist or being abusers or bullies, etc.

Unrelated but I sometimes feel you liked GFriend did you unstan them too if that was the case? I was always curious about that.

• Okay I just glazed over this post when I saw it yesterday and didn't think much of it, not really reading it

But I just watched that Preview thing for their Album and I got to say that was some of the most Pretentious crap I think I have ever witnessed in Kpop

They are Weeekly they have seven members and there are seven days of the week that's it, that is all there should be to it, they are Cute and Fun and Sing Cute Fun songs

This Abomination of a Teaser even going so far as to call itself a "Prologue Film" seems to think the Music they are creating will fundamentally change the World as we know it, or the Solar System or something, and just quietly it looks and sounds awfully similar to another groups Lore concept but we won't talk about that

I don't think I have ever been more turned off from a Teaser video than this one

Can only hope that at-least the Music is good, I am already attached the the Girls unfortunately so I will be watching this expecting disappointment

• It was a part of their debut concept so they were always going to make the switch but I don't think the switch was well planned out, nor done properly enough so now I think a lot of existing fans will leave them tbh. I too, preferred their casual fun concepts.

• The Prologue Film seems well received though?

4.2 million views, 30K likes, in 5 days is better than all their previous comeback teasers views combined.

The Future of K-Pop

weekly-members-profile-mainpage.jpg

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!