honest opinion , As Ifans which achievement do you prefer

• So now tell what situation is better ? 67

The result is only visible to the participants.

These days ,some people love to create funny thread between BG that didn't rank well than GG when at the end of the day they outsell your top 3 gg

Laugh at GG flopping in the Kpop chart because they move to the US market when they get more fans and make more money

Sure you can have both, but it's hard to get both at the same time unless you're Bts

I saw a lot of people complaining why their boys can't chart well or why their girls can't sell more , so i decided to make this thread

“ < 4 you & her

Edited once, last by Panpriyah-lice ().

• Panpriyah-lice

Changed the title of the thread from “honestly speaking , As Ifans which achievement do you prefer” to “honest opinion , As Ifans which achievement do you prefer”.
  • i still think doing well in s.k. charts is important to consider a group a top group bc HIT songs are important AND i have yet to see a group with INTERNATIONAL HIT song that isn't BTS or BP (groups only). International success isn't really a success when 90% of kpop groups can't tour really WORLDWIDE as they don't have the demand.

• The international market is where it's at if you want a solid fandom that's gonna keep buying your music in the long-run

The korean gp relies on trends,and as we all know trends come and go,so relying solely on Melon charting can be quite unstable.

• Success in Korea if the group isn't BP or BTS level in global market. It's a personal opinion, but all these "int hits" aren't very impactful after a decade because kpop in global market is very niche, the hits in Korea are really hits.

About sales or charts, well, can we do both? But depends the level of low sales, Sistar level? Hell no, the group can't survive without a fandom. OMG level? Good, low sales compared to others, but they're doing good on their own.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I'm an international fan so I prefer international succes tbh :wellr:

but I'm not gonna be biased and say korean succes is totally irrelevant

NewJeans é envolvido em nova polêmica com o MV de “OMG” | Revista KoreaIN

Edited 2 times, last by lialve ().

• Release music that I like. I dont care which countries it's popular in.

• i still think doing well in s.k. charts is important to consider a group a top group bc HIT songs are important AND i have yet to see a group with INTERNATIONAL HIT song that isn't BTS or BP (groups only). International success isn't really a success when 90% of kpop groups can't tour really WORLDWIDE as they don't have the demand.

Sure but everyone seems to move in the Us market too and even if they are not in Bts or bp level, some of them did well

Twice "feels" and TXT are big example

“ < 4 you & her

• hmm...agree and disagree

agree on that

Physical sales are definitely the most important as it is most of the time the biggest revenue.

and disagree on that

Doing well in korea is more important than internationally imo cz they are probably Korean so they need to be known by their closest fans who will probably stay the longest

it's not because they are koreans that koreans will stay the longest beside them ,

and tbh i see ifans more loyal than k-fans, k-fans get bored easily and jump in the new trend

“ < 4 you & her

• Tbf it's hard to know who will stay the longest as kpop is still a relatively new genre of music and when the Korean fan base shrink us int fans have barely any information about them. For example, with orbits in the debut era, it was pretty hard to quantify how many Korean fans we had if we had any.

• Success in Korea if the group isn't BP or BTS level in global market. It's a personal opinion, but all these "int hits" aren't very impactful after a decade because kpop in global market is very niche, the hits in Korea are really hits.

About sales or charts, well, can we do both? But depends the level of low sales, Sistar level? Hell no, the group can't survive without a fandom. OMG level? Good, low sales compared to others, but they're doing good on their own.

That's basically how I voted too. I was thinking in terms of stability for the group, because as a fan, it would be most important to me that the group can be successful enough to continue making music. And while a group can technically survive with basically zero Korean recognition, they're better off with that stability in a country that will always listen to Korean music rather than the western market where it could end up being a trend that falls off after a few years, like how Spanish songs were big in the 90s for a while.

I think the charting vs. sales gets a little hard to differentiate, because concerts tend to be the most profitable. The largest, most successful concerts have been on acts that have both (e.g. SNSD, Big Bang, BTS), but for smaller groups, it seems to be that they tend to be groups that have at least some gp recognition and charting and aren't completely reliant on money whales to fund the group. Looking at joint concerts, it seems that acts who at least have one recognizable song tend to get invited even if their sales are middling otherwise (e.g. N.FLYING, OMG in recent years and going back further before even tiny groups got ridic album sales, groups like Secret, Davichi, and Sistar). So I ultimately went with charting over sales.

let's be friends

e9b8a6c6366aecb3faf71dcc6b4488775b109abb.gif

• That's basically how I voted too. I was thinking in terms of stability for the group, because as a fan, it would be most important to me that the group can be successful enough to continue making music. And while a group can technically survive with basically zero Korean recognition, they're better off with that stability in a country that will always listen to Korean music rather than the western market where it could end up being a trend that falls off after a few years, like how Spanish songs were big in the 90s for a while.

I think the charting vs. sales gets a little hard to differentiate, because concerts tend to be the most profitable. The largest, most successful concerts have been on acts that have both (e.g. SNSD, Big Bang, BTS), but for smaller groups, it seems to be that they tend to be groups that have at least some gp recognition and charting and aren't completely reliant on money whales to fund the group. Looking at joint concerts, it seems that acts who at least have one recognizable song tend to get invited even if their sales are middling otherwise (e.g. N.FLYING, OMG in recent years and going back further before even tiny groups got ridic album sales, groups like Secret, Davichi, and Sistar). So I ultimately went with charting over sales.

Panpriyah Lice take note :pepe-notes:

“ < 4 you & her

• Honestly, since I live in Europe, not Korea, it’s going to be more impactful for me to see their international success… but really, I don’t care how much they sell or chart anywhere so long as they are happy and I like the music. The majority of the music I listen to is not by groups or artists who have mega success.

• I prefer music aimed towards the Korean market on top of also preferring Korean promotions, alongside the potential careers that come out of maintaining popularity in SK.

International popularity is only better in the long run if you stick as a group for most, the only exceptions probably being BTS, BP and EXO who already have established individual members/identities popular enough to do substantial oversees activities (which is mainly idols that are from another country that is not SK).

When kpop idols go solo having a few fans dotted around the world in various countries (which is what it will become for most, as most fans only care about supporting the group as a whole or their favorite member) is not going to be as useful as having a decent level of popularity in SK (/that idols home country). You don't penetrate any market enough to be attractive for CF's, you're not getting acting/presenting/tv gigs in western countries, you won't be touring in anything more than theatres around the world etc.

I.O.I members have some of the best post-disbandment careers/attention and it pretty much all stems from SK popularity, with activities geared towards there. 2nd gen it was obviously more so the case as well. Most SNSD solo members aren't still relevant due to intentional popularity, but through establishing themselves individually in SK at their peak and now through activities in SK. With Izone I believe they've had a few solo releases now but I can imagine the one more people have heard worldwide stems from doing well on Korean charts rather than the one that ahs sold the most.

The opportunities that will arise from doing well in SK, assuming no controversies, win out in the long run in my opinion.

• The perfect scenario is huge popularity and success internationally and domestically but if you're not bts then you can't have it all :happyr:

With that being said, I rather my faves have an international success - that's where the money lay in and that's where the hardcore fandom that will support you in the long run comes from

• Did well in Korean market but can't make noise in US market

since one has to look at career longevity and eventually the group will disband and then where are you getting your "iron rice bowl"

• This thread contains 13 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!