What makes the difference in reaction to the news of SuperM vs Girls on Top?

• Not sure if this question has already been raised or a thread created for it. If so, apologies.

But I look at the reaction and I'm kinda pleasantly surprised but also puzzled.

The enthusiastic and awed reaction of the majority of netizens and K-pop fans to the news of Girls on Top is great to see, but also something that I'd expected to see in the same way with SuperM.

Yet instead of that, both fans, antis and other-group stans were vastly united in their ridiculing, scorn and bashing of SuperM.

What makes the difference?

The way I see it, the situation is basically the same, both groups look to be all-star teams and filled with aces and top tier idols in their fields.

The only difference, one consists of boy idols and the other of girl idols.

But is that it? Is that what would explain the difference in reaction? If so, why? And if not, why then the difference in reaction?

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• SuperM came at a weird time where some knetz were already unhappy with the NCT revolving door concept, SM male idol scandals and the feeling that they prioritize male idols as compared to female ones

GoT has a lot of well-respected female artists and since fans have been asking for a female SuperM for a long time, they want them more

They waited enough so that none of their possible scandals would do anything to the group, while not adding the women who have some more recent scandals or are less popular

These women are who a lot of SM stans consider to be the aces of their groups

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───
    mKl7Ghm.png
    Flower field, that's where I'm at. Open land, that's where I'm at.
    ─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

• - the talent pool are more balanced. in SuperM , only 1 main vocal

- the composition of the members are equal (2 from SNSD, 2 from Rv and 2 from aespa). We can see all Sm idol from 1st gen to the 4th gen.

- This is just rotational unit. SM is more ambitious with SuperM promotional activities therefore their fans were afraid it will hindering their own perspectives group activities.

these are some reasons I can think of

Edited once, last by www1717 ().

• Perhaps people are more familiar with the whole concept now,and have learned to treat them as a special unit.

SM for whatever reason was really persistent in promoting SuperM as a solid standalone group,and they were primarily formed to promote in the US which was plain stupid.

• Idk but if I recall correctly, didn't SM dub SuperM as the "avengers of kpop"? That kinda made people not take it seriously back then.

They were also targeted towards the western market so it seemed like just a random cash grab to some.

But then again, since they exist already maybe that made people more open to the idea of collab groups hence the positive reaction to GOT now?

• Iirc people were mostly annoyed/angry about the timing and strategy. BTS had just blown up in the west for real and there comes SM with that weird avengers of k-pop concept and the incredibly cheap bundles. It made Super-M seem like a project created solely because of hurt ego. It didn't matter how they outcharted BTS so long as they did.

I also seem to recall many Exo fans not taking kindly to Super-M because they felt that EXO should have been pushed instead, not some new hybrid group.

• GGs are more interesting in general to me. Also less die hard fans and more gp, I think. I also noticed many GG stans support other GGs, kinda rare to find among BG stans.

Ah, is that so? Fans of boy groups are more hardcore dedicated to just one boy group than fans of girl groups are?

That's interesting, I hadn't thought of it that way, but that would explain a lot of things too, not only in regards to SuperM but K-pop in general.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• It’s very obvious isn’t it. EXOL hated superm with every fiber of their being. :pepepizza:

GOT doesn’t have to deal with EXOL :pepepizza:

It’s got nothing to do with marketing or the name or anything. Lol. It’s got to do with the type of fandoms.

SNSD hasn’t even been a group in years

BOA soloist

Aespa SM’s current flagship group this won’t take away from them

RV doesn’t have a big fandom anyway so even if their fans are bothered it won’t matter.

Lol. How can they have anything but a positive reaction.

And ofc GGs don’t have a rabid fandom like armys to deal with either.

• There were various different things

-GG is more a project which SuperM should be too not whatever they did with permanent thing or whatever they wanted to do

-aggressive marketing with a sub par debut (at least for casuals), the marketing was ridiculous but if their debut would had been good received, it will at least justify in parts the marketing

-timing, NCT and Exo fandoms was in shambles and SM randomly decide to put some of the members in a supposed permanent group

*Exo was on back burner, the group was barely having activities

*NCT was and still are fighting with extreme favoritism between members and SM decided to add their faves in another group

*should i say that wayv was a rookie group (literally debuted a few months before) and sm thought it was a smart to take 2 members in another group.

Basically shinee fans were the only ones happy and even they got mad when Taemin solo comeback was overlooked for superm last year

Also this group has half of active SM females, there aren't many others which could get angry, beside the fact that aespa is a rookie group which would be a problem if it was a permanent unit, otherwise is pretty fine as a collab

• But what if Baekhyun and Kai liked being in the project group SuperM - I mean, I know a number of EXO fans decided Kai and Baekhyun must've been enslaved and forced to collaborate in SuperM bc it fits their hating SuperM narrative better - but what if Baekhyun and Kai actually liked being part of it, wouldn't their fans bashing it make them sad?

And wouldn't it just show that a number of EXO fans didn't care about the happiness of their biases, or that they weren't EXO fans but akgae (of other EXO members)?

SWJ1P.gif

• But what if Baekhyun and Kai liked being in the project group SuperM - I mean, I know a number of EXO fans decided Kai and Baekhyun must've been enslaved and forced to collaborate in SuperM bc it fits their hating SuperM narrative better - but what if Baekhyun and Kai actually liked being part of it, wouldn't their fans bashing it make them sad?

And wouldn't it just show that a number of EXO fans didn't care about the happiness of their biases, or that they weren't EXO fans but akgae (of other EXO members)

what in the cringe lol.

And what if they hated it?

Anyway that’s irrelevant. What we do know is the audience hated it. And that won’t change.

• So basically, Girls on Top so far looks like a continuation of the spirit that was behind SuperM, but more with a 'lessons learnt' approach now where they seemed to avoid the mistakes made by the launch of SuperM., especially the type of mistakes that would trigger fans.

I remember thinking with all the uproar around SuperM 'hmm, would I have reacted the same if it was about groups that are my main biases? Maybe I would'.

But now that it happens, with members of some if my main bias groups, I'm glad and excited to see this collaboration project happen.

And in retrospect, I think I would've been happy and excited too if EXO and NCT were my main bias groups and a project group would be launched with members of them, or if it would've been members of SNSD+CSJH The Grace+BoA+f(x) in 2nd gen era.

I simply like collaborations, and if it makes the idols happy, I'm happy for them too :-)

SWJ1P.gif

• what in the cringe lol.

And what if they hated it?

Anyway that’s irrelevant. What we do know is the audience hated it. And that won’t change.

True. They might have hated it.

I just wonder how fans would have reacted, true fans, if the idols themselves loved working on it and stated they liked it.

I know that I would have loved it and be happy for them, I'm just wondering how and why fans of EXO or NCT wouldn't if their biases would've been happy about the collaboration.

SWJ1P.gif

• None of those groups or fandoms were at the stage EXO was.

Try taking only two blackpink members and putting them in a super group without a BP comeback and not giving the other members anything and it’ll have the same reaction.

That’s the only other comparable situation.

• True. They might have hated it.

I just wonder how fans would have reacted, true fans, if the idols themselves loved working on it and stated they liked it.

I know that I would have loved it and be happy for them, I'm just wondering how and why fans of EXO or NCT wouldn't if their biases would've been happy about the collaboration.

NCT fans were neutral because they are used to unit system.

Why will EXOL be happy about promoting a supergroup out of which 4 members were NCT who already got promoted more than EXO lol. It was like adding salt to the wound of an EXO that SM was trying to already sideline.

• None of those groups or fandoms were at the stage EXO was.

Try taking only two blackpink members and putting them in a super group without a BP comeback and not giving the other members anything and it’ll have the same reaction.

That’s the only other comparable situation.

I would've disliked it, that the company would stall the group comeback, in the same way that I found it saddening that a group comeback gets stalled because 1 of the members is still busy and recording a drama show even if I understand it.

But I'd still be happy for the members that get their projects and activities, even if it is a collab project like SuperM, and be encouraging towards them.

But every fan is different, I realise that.

SWJ1P.gif

• NCT fans were neutral because they are used to unit system.

Why will EXOL be happy about promoting a supergroup out of which 4 members were NCT who already got promoted more than EXO lol. It was like adding salt to the wound of an EXO that SM was trying to already sideline.

Yeah, from what I understand it was more SHINee fans and EXO fans that had a problem with it, less so NCT fans.

I can see how this makes it even more painful, if EXO as a group has been put on the backburner for a long time, to see individual members getting added to another group, how temporary it may be.

SWJ1P.gif

• Sm promoting SuperM as avengers of kpop in the west. Many nonfans didnt like it. Some laughed at it and some maybe felt threatened.

The fans of the groups especially exols didnt like the idea either. Exols were already not happy with sm's minimalism and management. Most exols are not sm stans so they werent happy when exo was paired with other groups when we didnt even have much time before their enlistment. While exo was still touring and exols were waiting for exo cb news, sm debuted superm and announced tour dates in america and europe. Which EXO didnt have

And wouldn't it just show that a number of EXO fans didn't care about the happiness of their biases, or that they weren't EXO fans but akgae (of other EXO members)?

Don't be silly... Kpop fans don't care how idols feel about things.

• It's as simple as SM Girl Groups female artists and groups clicks way more with the GP than the male idols. They are more present to them in every area (specially CFs) so they are way more known. Also it's the SM Girls that actually shine in the digital and streaming area

The fact that's also a rotational group and there's only 15 females in SM shows that every female will have the chance to participate in this <3:borahae:

• If you're gonna add 4 nct members, at least make sure majority isn't just rappers (SM be overestimating their rappers fr)

Also, the way they promoted them and called them 'avengers'...

• It's as simple as SM Girl Groups female artists and groups clicks way more with the GP than the male idols. They are more present to them in every area (specially CFs) so they are way more known. Also it's the SM Girls that actually shine in the digital and streaming area

The fact that's also a rotational group and there's only 15 females in SM shows that every female will have the chance to participate in this <3:borahae:

I highly doubt this group will click with GP nor appeal to Koreans.

It’s meant to grab the same type of audience as SuperM. It’s to create a A broader SM fandom. With hype and visibility.

Not to appeal to the GP

• the difference is how they're presented

SuperM was promoted as being entirely about getting that 1 spot on the BB200, they were throwing all the money at that goal. Like, US-only album, the Avengers of K-Pop, the next BTS, everyone gets a free album, texting people to buy even more albums during the first week, etc. It made fans very wary and made the whole project seem less like fun and more like a dick measuring contest (no pun intended).

The Girls on Top project just seems like a fun crossover project. If SuperM had been like this, people would have been more on board with them too. It was all the desperate tactics to get that #1 spot that was kind of embarrassing and prevented fans from just enjoying the music and performances they put out.

• This thread contains 17 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!