[KN] TW; Netizens talk about Aespa Giselle’s controversial remark

• Netizens talk about Aespa Giselle’s controversial remark – Knetizen – Netizens talk about K-Pop

Aespa Giselle’s controversial remark Aespa-Giselles-controversial-remark.jpg

In Aespa’s new video, Giselle made a controversial remark saying, “I’m really going to commit suicide if my phone drops.”

original post: theqoo

1. I’m really disappointed she speaks like that.. Celebrities need to be careful with what they say

2. I think it’s because she’s young and the young kids speak like that these days

3. Seriously, her head is empty

4. Is this controversial? Giselle is human too, can’t she say that?

5. Wow, this is my first time hearing that phrase.. Please be careful with your words and actions

6. NCT too, SM should educate their idols’ personalities

7. SM idols are always controversial because of their personalities

8. I don’t mean to shield her and it is true that she needs to be careful in her words and actions, but the comments are too harsh

9. Isn’t Giselle a foreigner? Where did she learn to use that phrase?

10. Her image is ruined for me

Tsk tsk...Giselle, why would you say such a thing so lightly while being recorded. This kind of comment is EXTREMELY problematic in Korea where suicides are a big problem, especially for younger people. After your n-word controversy and now this?

• tbh

Most likely these are younger kids who still don't understand the seriousness of suicide, so to them it's all jokes. But others who witnessed these things happen in their regular lives or on the news involving idols would definitely not think it's just some trivial thing. Giselle wasn't cut slack for saying the n-word, even thought a bunch of kids say it. She should know better as an idol and person younger people look up to

• Why would she say that on camera ?? I mean that's a "normal" expression (even if it's bad) but your on camera girl, and saying you'd k*ll yourself if your phone drops is not a good look...Giselle it's not looking good for you. Some people may say it's not a big deal and honestly it's not so bad (she still should not have said that expression, and I even stopped saying that expression because I realized how terrible it sounds) but considering the suicide rate of Korea, it's quite sensitive.

✰ ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 🌷🌷🌷♡ ♡ ♡🌷🌷🌷 ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ✰

c84b43c6d23bf4bc277ebcd8e1c37de5.jpgStory pin image

• Suicide is a huge issue in Korea I know.

It's big everywhere, but I know people who say "I would kill myself if..." or "I want to kill myself..." or "I want to die..." or "Kill me"....

Especially in the West and in the younger generations. I know millennials used to say it a lot too. I still have friends who talk like that, and I jokingly say it to myself too sometimes if I do something stupid.

I wouldn't be surprised if teenaged Koreans spoke like that, but I can understand why people wouldn't like it. It's distasteful. She's just a young girl who is probably following a trend, so it's better to tell her it's better to not speak (on camera) like that versus attacking her. I blame this on whatever SM staff actually let this get out.

Also, I feel bad for Giselle. She's had a rough year. I hope things get better for her.

PGDPGT PRETTY GIRLS DOING PRETTY GIRL THINGS

417aa1c7e1372f9ae29d8e2f659d3f12cf0db4d9.gifv0d1493f18550d15d02f4c2bba44c12bdc01f518d.gifv

• While we can call this a "common" phrase among young people, it's clear it is very triggering for a lot of other people. It looks very bad for a celebrity to say that so casually on camera especially in Korea where suicide is such a huge problem. Hopefully she'll be more careful next time.

• Intention is crucial.

She should've paid attention to her words but I doubt she meant it to hurt people. I know people who use kys jokes sometimes and it's not something unheard of.

In an age where kids commit suicide because they are bullied to kill themselves, why is "kys" considered just some little joke...

• I remember I joked with my friends once about how I felt like dying and one of them called me out on that and ever since I've been cautious about saying stuff like that lol I feel the same way I feel with the NCT thing, if they weren't famous this would hardly be an issue and they'd learn their lesson if someone called them out once but obvs everything turns 10x bigger

• Comment 8 sums it up best, she should be a little more careful but it's not really a 'scandal' worthy of much backlash if any at all.

It's a phrase I'm sure the majority of young people use these days, idols are held to higher standard in things like this, but come on.

• Comment 8 sums it up best, she should be a little more careful but it's not really a 'scandal' worthy of much backlash if any at all.

It's a phrase I'm sure the majority of young people use these days, idols are held to higher standard in things like this, but come on.

I mean people joke about weight all the time, "this makes you look fat" but obviously making fat jokes as an idol would be problematic. This is the way society is, the era of zero sensitivity is long gone

• idk how things are in korea, but as a highschooler in the U.S. this is sooo freaking common to hear istg.

over every little thing. i don't think its fair that no one says anything when someone normally says it but its suddenly an issue because she's a celebrity.

as someone who avoids using that phrase, i understand why people could be hurt or uncomfortable with her saying that but why the fuck are people bashing her? she won't understand why its hurting/offending people if they just yell at her.

its like when your parents yell at you when you get 3+3 wrong as a five-year-old, but don't explain why or what the right answer is.

• *chortle* You're really comparing Giselle to a 5 year old?

I get your point but that comparison is infantilizing Giselle a little too much, like didn't she just went though another controversy just a little while ago over her words. I thought she said she'd be more careful

• *chortle* You're really comparing Giselle to a 5 year old?

I get your point but that comparison is infantilizing Giselle a little too much, like didn't she just went though another controversy just a little while ago over her words. I thought she said she'd be more careful

im not infantilizing giselle, im giving an example that people easily understand.

• This. Just this.

・❥・🖤🤍~A wish your heart makes~🤍🖤・❥

♥︎♥︎

• Which is the problem. When you're a celebrity, and most of your audience are underage kids, you DON'T joke about suicide, which affected several known idols in her own company

meh ive been hearing suicide jokes since I was in middle school

they're not the funniest but a part of everyday life

nothing offensive whatsoever

u r m o m g a y

1e1282e4806e9f6f1080ccc53055ea21c0a98974.gifv6cc52730ebd88d19753cac6a9c1436f129e99705.gifv

• I say this all the time as a joke (though I admit I try to stop but it's not easy because it comes so lightly in my daily talks) but I feel that she mean no harm obviously, maybe she will take more care of what she says because people are with the eyes on her all the time unfortunately they will judge her like that I don't see harm in what she said however I understand that talking lightly about this is a little worrying for some.

So let's just learn to make a difference between something harmful vs something said with no ill intent

and expect her to be a more careful because we never know how people will take it

that's how I feel

• All genZ ever talks about is various versions of killings themselves. And it’s not even an exaggeration. The number of tiktok or social media trends around this is crazy.

Yeah it can be triggering but also this particular one feels like foot in mouth. She wanted to say something like “she’d dieee without it” and it came out sounding like this.

It feels so pathetically silly to even talk about this issue lol.

• Man I could kill for some burritos right about now...

No I don't mean I would literally kill. Oh no I'm cancelled for common a turn of phrase. Fuck that shit. No wait, I don't literally mean have sex with poop

• All genZ ever talks about is various versions of killings themselves. And it’s not even an exaggeration. The number of tiktok or social media trends around this is crazy.

Yeah it can be triggering but also this particular one feels like foot in mouth. She wanted to say something like “she’d dieee without it” and it came out sounding like this.

It feels so pathetically silly to even talk about this issue lol.

Trivializing suicide is considered normal but questioning that habit is silly....

This is the society y'all are choosing

• interesting...

did she actually refer to I'm going to committed suicide if i drop my phone or was it more a phrase like OMG I will literally die if I drop my phone...

• The kill myself jokes are universal among genZ across the world. Not just the US or the west etc. This just feels like picking on a non issue because she’s an idol.

• This thread contains 10 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!