What's the point of selling a lot of albums when you can't even chart?

• I see new groups selling a lot but can't even enter top 10 on melon or even chart decently in other charts where it's even more easy... but at the same time they are selling a lot of albums. Usually selling albums it's more difficult then charting nowdays but for kpop idols it's the opposit, male idols in particular.

Monstax, Stray Kids, Treasure or Nct and Seventeen that are selling millions every year but can't chart decently...

• Oh please... you need 200,000 fans streaming your song to chart in top ten in melon nowdays. Nct and seventeen are selling milions so how can't they have 200.000 fans to stream their song on melon?

Majority of their fans are outside of korea who doesn't have access to melon. We also all know those inflated million numbers are part of bulk buying albums.

:cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:
    ✴✴✴✴✴ KIM JISOO'S HUSBANDO ✴✴✴✴✴
    b7de288879b59732b5115a93d7f259edd464dd39.jpg2320df8ccb8a4af42b9e108fb34e3d8109964aae.jpg2a8fc619d348ef8f6380880604eb8bb8e97b8105.jpg

• to earn money. not everyone can chart, but at least they can earn money. and it's probably easier for a fan to just buy an album than for a fandom to be organised enough to make streaming which will crack nowadays chart system.

• Oh please... you need 200,000 fans streaming your song to chart in top ten in melon nowdays. Nct and seventeen are selling milions so how can't they have 200.000 fans to stream their song on melon?

the fans who buy albums don't buy only 1 album. They usually buy all the different versions of the same album. So the number of actual fans is pretty less but more albums for each one.

𝐁𝐓𝐒 ♡ 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐤 ♡ 𝐀𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐚

c09dafd21a568e816f2cb77504fa56a8086e9412.gifv

• the fans who buy albums don't buy only 1 album. They usually buy all the different versions of the same album. So the number of actual fans is pretty less but more albums for each one.

I know it but I still can't belive that a group like 17 doesn't have a decent number of fans to make them chart in top ten on melon. And considering how obsessed some kpop fans are, in particular boy groups fans, it should be an easy thing.

It used to be like that, you could chart as long as your fandom stream your song. That's why many idol songs in the past charted during 'zombie hours'. But now the system changed (at least in melon, dunno about other platforms). Now one person (no matter how much they stream) will be counted as one listener. I-fans also can't help much for this that's why gp support is super important to push the song to the top. cmiiw

• I get your point

The answer is GP doesn't care for them, maybe they might in the future but not know

Idek what Korean General Public wants from idols, maybe they should consider joining popular tv shows I guess

영원히 소녀시대! BLACKPINK IS THE REVOLUTION                      original.gif

• You make more money in albums anyways fun it more concerning if you have good Digitals but terrible physicals, now that’s the artist that probably in danger

• I know it but I still can't belive that a group like 17 doesn't have a decent number of fans to make them chart in top ten on melon. And considering how obsessed some kpop fans are, in particular boy groups fans, it should be an easy thing.

the streams get filtered later on, so it doesn't matter how obsessed they are. also unique listeners matter as well. anyways, Korea only has 50 million population. I'm pretty sure not even 1 million are hardcore kpop fans. So don't expect any bg (even gg) to have many hardcore fans in Korea.

𝐁𝐓𝐒 ♡ 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐤 ♡ 𝐀𝐞𝐬𝐩𝐚

c09dafd21a568e816f2cb77504fa56a8086e9412.gifv

• But it should work like that... is it that difficult for groups like nct or seventeen to have 200000 loyal fans in korea to stream their song on melon? Aren't they selling millions,?

fandom size =/= no. fans who stream

Not every fan is a streamer. Some put more effort into that while some don't, plus streaming only gets you so far. Without the support of the GP and new unique listeners (since charts would sooner or later filter streams) - if your song doesn't click, then it wouldn't really chart that long either. Plus physicals can be easily inflated by the buying of multiple copies/versions. Streaming/Digitals too can be inflated by fandoms, but it's more heavily regulated than physicals.

Anyways, what's the point of selling physicals? Money. That's it - these idols aren't putting all this effort for nothing, they need to make an earning, and physicals are one way of doing so.Maybe it's not much, but it's certainly more than what digitals can give them.

(That said, a good mix of both digitals and physicals would be most ideal)

yes, my replies are, more often than not, long paragraphs. Sorry bout that ://

• the streams get filtered later on, so it doesn't matter how obsessed they are. also unique listeners matter as well. anyways, Korea only has 50 million population. I'm pretty sure not even 1 million are hardcore kpop fans. So don't expect any bg (even gg) to have many hardcore fans in Korea.

Probably you are right... maybe it's just me thinking kpop is bigger in korea than it actually is.

• They still have audience so it's fine I guess. Ppl who buy albums will definitely listen to their music digitally and at the end every artist want ppl to listen their music and make money. Selling albums does that

• Was going to say this. Y’all seem to forget that Korea has way too many streaming services for a country with a relatively small population. And the most popular charts that are easier for fans to top are Genie and Bugs. That’s why a lot of BGs and rookies last year fared better on these charts than on Melon where more than half of them were non-existent.

• if yours and users who commented's fake concern ended, watch seventeen's performance

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Seventeen is most streamed 2nd boygroup in Korea, stay shush if you are that unacknowledged.

goddamn you all are really using the reason of lack of carat activity to spew bullshit now, L&R spent over 300 hours in top10, hit #1 melon genie and bugs, whats with this mentality of svt being bad at digitals? they are one of the best streamed bgs currently

• They still make a lot of money. Charting takes years for boy groups.

Follow the new gen, it's harder for them due to recent chart reform.

28-png.320704

• But it should work like that... is it that difficult for groups like nct or seventeen to have 200000 loyal fans in korea to stream their song on melon? Aren't they selling millions,?

There is 63282753286362 charts in Korea. Melon accounts for 35-40% of the market. For a group having 200k people streaming at the same time day they pretty much need half million fans in Korea which I doubt anyone but BTS has

200k fans will probably reflect on 80-90k listeners on Melon which is about the same numbers Seventeen and NCT are making

If we were in 2nd Gen NCT and Seventeen album sales would be less than half million, as in past Korean albums were rarely shipped outside Korea

• This thread contains 49 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!