is KPOP really 100% about music ??

• in my personal opinion

kpop isn’t really about the music, it’s about the entertainment that the idols provide. it can include music, but lbr once u form a parasocial relationship with an idol the music becomes secondary, especially since it’s not like kpop releases truly odd songs often.like you don’t know how many fans i’ve seen force themselves to like songs bc their group releases it, or fans who are outwardly supportive but are like “this song is. not it.” on priv

so to say that "if u don't stan a group for the music then idk why do u stan them honestly,, are u going to listen their faces or something" is not really true bcause honestly theres some group that i stan not for their music but for their content variety etc and ofcourse visual

• girlgroupstan21

Changed the title of the thread from “is KPOP really 100% about music” to “is KPOP really 100% about music ??”.
  • obviously. The variety is what makes most fans, fans. This is the biggest difference between the idol and the musician/singer/dancer etc..

That's why certain people claiming someone created 'Kpop' because they started the idol system, isn't wrong.

lt64IYu.gif

• No.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Not at all, what defines K-Pop for me and what makes it exciting is the combination of several forms of entertainment into one product.

Unfortunately, it's evident that individual factors (notably music, performances) are lacking in some artists when compared to those that focus purely on music, performing, etc... There's not many groups with the full package but when the whole thing is presented it's amazing and surpasses any other type of audio-visual entertainment in my opinion.

• The music industry wether in kpop or the US has never 100% been about music, however kpop is disgustingly moreso about looks (visuals) and fantasizing, infantilization and shipping.

• Not at all, what defines K-Pop for me and what makes it exciting is the combination of several forms of entertainment into one product.

Unfortunately, it's evident that individual factors (notably music, performances) are lacking in some artists when compared to those that focus purely on music, performing, etc... There's not many groups with the full package but when the whole thing is presented it's amazing and surpasses any other type of audio-visual entertainment in my opinion.

And the sad thing about this is that many of these groups not only are the music TERRIBLE, but so are the performances.. the severe lack of talent and contrived and obvious assigned over the top personalities to appeal to the tween/teen stans! Ew

• Depends on who you ask.

For me, it's not 100%, but it's 98%. 98% for the music alone. The other 2% is reserved for songs w/ good choreo (visual entertainment) -- even with this, though, I'm rarely just sitting down and watching MVs over and over, so it's not as important. Most important is the music for me.

Now, whether I have good taste or not is another conversation.

• For me, it's not 100% about the music, but the music is the main reason. If I didn't like the music, I would be listening to something else. I listen to the artists I listen to because I can't easily find something similar elsewhere.

I only "stan" groups that are musically pleasant to me. I have watched entertainment videos of groups I don't stan and, although I enjoyed them, I couldn't bond with them because I didn't enjoy their music. I still think that the music is the main part and if I can't enjoy their music, I can't consider myself a stan. I can still feel happy for them as a person, but no as an idol.

But I do agree that the parasocial interactions is an important feature of K-pop and is something you can't find easily elsewhere. I have listened to J-pop and J-rock before K-pop and there's zero interaction outside of Japan. Western artist don't interact much either.

When I got into K-pop the parasocial interactions were one of the things I liked the most. Seeing them offstage makes me see them as people and not just as idols and makes me have a stronger bond with them. I feel happy when I see them happy, while for other artists I don't care that much, I just want to listen to their music.

• Definitely not

A lot of kpop vocals and songs just aren’t up there but because of the expensive music videos and insane choreo and all the extra side things they do in variety shows etc they become likes all around not really for the music

It’s more just an industry of creating celebrities and gaining a big fandom vs actually creating music I personally think :(

• No, it's never been purely about the music if that were so they wouldn't market and put so much into MV's, visuals and image brandd as they do.

Music usually takes up a smaller percentage of what really attracts people to kpop or specifically younger audiences to kpop.

For me it a 80% music, cause I spend my time listening to discographies rather than watching MV's I usually just watch them once and never again. The other 20% is a mix of variety and performance so in that respect for me it's visual in that sense. But I think it's because I've liked kpop music for longer time (12+ years) and it's never been an addiction of niche as it fits in with other genres of music like as well.

But it would be oblivious of me to not see the amount put into visuals and images of idol, so I can be interested by MV concepts.. But beauty visuals not really.

giphy.gif
    *Shawol* VK Lover

Edited 2 times, last by xwhisperx ().

• And the sad thing about this is that many of these groups not only are the music TERRIBLE, but so are the performances.. the severe lack of talent and contrived and obvious assigned over the top personalities to appeal to the tween/teen stans! Ew

I like to know these many of these groups...do tell :evil:

• Personally for me it's a lot about the music. I couldn't be into a group if I didn't like their music, that's my door to the fandom. I will put a spotify playlist for kpop artists while I shop and walk around, and find out about new groups that I could be interested in.

That said, once I'm in, obviously other things are also important : the concepts, the social media presence, the members' personalities etc...

If there wasn't all that, I would be acting with kpop artists the same way I'm acting with Taylor and Billie - that is to say that I'm a lot less emotionally invested in them as a person, even though I'm very invested in them as an artist.

That's just how it is.

• This thread contains 3 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!