If you have to use fanmeets to “educate” idols, maybe it’s time to leave Kpop

• First NCT, now Lisa

I would kill for an opportunity to meet an idol, have them see me, get to have a conversation, tell them how much I am a fan of them, they get to know me more, and stuff like that

Meanwhile these idiots get the opportunity, and they blow it by being condescending bullies…. I mean “educating” their faves on cosmetics they don’t want them having cuz it’s cultural appropriation that hurts their poor poor feelings :rolleyes:

To me it’s just disrespectful not only to the idols, but to fans who would’ve loved to have an opportunity to meet them

People like this suck the fun out of everything. You really had a whole opportunity to meet your idol, and you were more obsessed with trying to impress your Twitter followers, all 66 of them, for trying to be the king/queen of wokeness who “put that idol in their place”

“Cultural appropriation” is a western sub-concept that zoomers overuse. Not everyone even knows it, let alone want to be bothered to subscribe to that ideology

You don’t have to like what they wear or do, but you have no right to bully them into not expressing themselves the way they want to

Not to mention it’s pointless as hell. Cuz you can “educate” your idols all you want, but if the company tells them to put it on, they’re putting it on. So you wasted your time even more lmfao

If Fanmeets started to be a Korean/Asian only event, I wouldn’t even oppose to it at this point

• Like I said before, there are things that need to be addressed, but at the appropriate time and place. A fanmeeting is not it.

• Personal choice on what people can do at fanmeets, if they are being respectful they can talk about almost anything

These idols are just employees, they aren’t some entities beyond humans. Just your regular person with a shit ton of ps and makeup

They can get educated

• Personal choice on what people can do at fanmeets, if they are being respectful they can talk about almost anything

These idols are just employees, they aren’t some entities beyond humans. Just your regular person with a shit ton of ps and makeup

They can get educated

Being condescending over some BS that people don’t have to subscribe to is not educating, nor is a fanmeet an appropriate environment to push it during

And you don’t have any business doing that to regular people either lmfao

• Being condescending over some BS that people don’t have to subscribe to is not educating, nor is a fanmeet an appropriate environment to push it during

And you don’t have any business doing that to regular people either lmfao

We live in a society. And there exists many differences, so communicating understanding is an essential part. Lisa isn’t obligated to heed to their every whim like a slave but if given the chance people are allowed to speak their mind

• Like I said before, there are things that need to be addressed, but at the appropriate time and place. A fanmeeting is not it.

But what is the appropriate time? Fans don't get many opportunities to meet idols. And I don't think sending things to companies does anything, many of them clearly just ignore it. If it even gets as far as anyone who can make a decision.

• I think it depends on how the issue is raised. Should be possible to do so kindly. Feedback doesn't have to be bullying. For instance someone could say, "I really loved this video, although xyz made me a little uncomfortable because only people from [whatever] culture wear this thing. Many people don't know that though so I just wanted to make you aware for the future."

I think something like that is fine.

• But what is the appropriate time? Fans don't get many opportunities to meet idols. And I don't think sending things to companies does anything, many of them clearly just ignore it. If it even gets as far as anyone who can make a decision.

It doesn't matter how often fans get to see idols in person. It's in appropriate. This isn't an event where she can just get up and leave. She's at work. Do you think it's appropriate for someone to "educate" your local Walmart cashier about things the company does that they probably have no control over?

• You're a fan, know your place. Here's the proper way to treat those who cross the line:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Try to educate this guy so we can have a good laugh.

• I can't even imagine wasting my time waiting in line to meet my faves, just to use the opportunity to scold them for a western problem. Just a waste of my time to create a bad experience for all involved.

Like, I get why people are mad when white American celebrities wear box braids when black children have their braids cut off while at school. Is that really a problem that is happening in South Korea? Are Korean teachers cutting off kids' hair or kicking them out of class? No? Then stop outsourcing American problems to other countries so you can feel superior.

let's be friends

e9b8a6c6366aecb3faf71dcc6b4488775b109abb.gif

• It doesn't matter how often fans get to see idols in person. It's in appropriate. This isn't an event where she can just get up and leave. She's at work. Do you think it's appropriate for someone to "educate" your local Walmart cashier about things the company does that they probably have no control over?

I'm sorry but I don't think it's the same thing. If she was uncomfortable staff would have ended the call. Actually Lisa apparently told staff she was going to continue the call after the alarm went off. That fan got the equivalent of 3 slots so that Lisa could speak with her. Which makes me think all the petitions (and I think even a protest truck) before really didn't reach her. (I feel like Lisa probably spends most of her free time on Thai social media so I can believe that she wouldn't randomly see posts on CA.) There were worse ways this could have happened. The fan was very respectful.

• I'm sorry but I don't think it's the same thing. If she was uncomfortable staff would have ended the call. Actually Lisa apparently told staff she was going to continue the call after the alarm went off. That fan got the equivalent of 3 slots so that Lisa could speak with her. Which makes me think all the petitions (and I think even a protest truck) before really didn't reach her. (I feel like Lisa probably spends most of her free time on Thai social media so I can believe that she wouldn't randomly see posts on CA.) There were worse ways this could have happened. The fan was very respectful.

i swear

LAFBL0s.gif

let us gather around for the lord’s prayer:

Nævis we love you. You are the one who protected me when i was in trouble. MY victory, one SYNK DIVE. I know your sacrifices. Let’s meet surely after the resurrection.

Æmen

:pepe-pray:

• I can't even imagine wasting my time waiting in line to meet my faves, just to use the opportunity to scold them for a western problem. Just a waste of my time to create a bad experience for all involved.

Like, I get why people are mad when white American celebrities wear box braids when black children have their braids cut off while at school. Is that really a problem that is happening in South Korea? Are Korean teachers cutting off kids' hair or kicking them out of class? No? Then stop outsourcing American problems to other countries so you can feel superior.

What does that even mean? So they can use the black American culture for profit, style, but not responsibility?? Ofc Koreans are not going to suffer the same discrimination, it's not their culture!

The point is that the same generosity isn't shared with those black children... those types of hairstyles are THEIR hairstyles. Not something they choose as a fashion statement and have no cultural history attached to it.

• I agree.

And since we at it, sometime I seriously wonder if certain people are drawn to Kpop to feel a certain "superior complex" over it. The audacity to assume a moral higher ground to "educate" strangers about a very niche, sub-culture of American society that only exist at very selected corner of the internet. Then proceed to be mad at people across the ocean for not knowing it, when I bet even your next door neighbor don't know about it. I hate to break it to a lot of you but CA is not a worldwide thing, it's very American, and very very niche and very new. So how much superiority and self-importance do you have to assume that everyone should know about your very niche cultural view/problem when you probably can't point more than 10 countries on a map

Second, the irony of "educating" about CA does not elude me to the fact that many "internet warriors" cannot speak about CA in a coherent logical manner in the first place, except for the stuff they saw and parrot from Twitter or various variations of "it may hurt my/other people's feeling" type of education. How can you try to "educate" people when you know jack-shit?

I'm not disregarding CA and I know it's real but damn it is soooo overplayed and used as a bullying tactics by people who just want to throw shit.

• What does that even mean? So they can use the black American culture for profit, style, but not responsibility?? Ofc Koreans are not going to suffer the same discrimination, it's not their culture!

The point is that the same generosity isn't shared with those black children... those types of hairstyles are THEIR hairstyles. Not something they choose as a fashion statement and have no cultural history attached to it.

Normal black people and non-black celebrities are two totally different people

What should happen is demolishing the stigma that society pushes to make black people not able to have their hairstyles or feel like they shouldn’t have said hairstyles. Not playing the childish “If I can’t do it, neither can y'all” card

And considering literally everyone of us partakes in something from another culture (Kpop), it’s hypocritical to tell others that people can’t partake in other cultures

Also again, people are grown individuals, they can wear whatever they want. You can dislike that, but part of being an adult is accepting that not everything someone does has to fit your worldview. But not everyone gets that, western Kpop fans being amongst them

• Normal black people and non-black celebrities are two totally different people

What should happen is demolishing the stigma that society pushes to make black people not able to have their hairstyles or feel like they shouldn’t have said hairstyles. Not playing the childish “If I can’t do it, neither can y'all” card

Yes, that's exactly what should happen, but that's a very idealistic vision of it. We are not as a society anywhere close to demolishing all of those stigmas. And the problem is that non-black artists are not using these hairstyles with the idea to make them more acceptable to black people, they're making it for money. And that's what makes it cultural appropriation.

And it's not a childish card because first of all, nobody it's actually stopping anyone from actually using these hairstyles. And second... it's black people's hair! It's what they are born with and created to fit their texture.

• Yes, that's exactly what should happen, but that's a very idealistic vision of it. We are not as a society anywhere close to demolishing all of those stigmas. And the problem is that non-black artists are not using these hairstyles with the idea to make them more acceptable to black people, they're making it for money. And that's what makes it cultural appropriation.

And it's not a childish card because first of all, nobody it's actually stopping anyone from actually using these hairstyles. And second... it's black people's hair! It's what they are born with and created to fit their texture.

black people aren't the only ones born with that type of hair though, you realise that?

LAFBL0s.gif

Nævis we love you. You are the one who protected me when i was in trouble. MY victory, one SYNK DIVE. I know your sacrifices. Let’s meet surely after the resurrection.

Æmen

• Yes, that's exactly what should happen, but that's a very idealistic vision of it. We are not as a society anywhere close to demolishing all of those stigmas. And the problem is that non-black artists are not using these hairstyles with the idea to make them more acceptable to black people, they're making it for money. And that's what makes it cultural appropriation.

Everyday non-black people can't (or be socially accepted) to wear black people hair either even though it is not for earning money. So the root of the problem here goes much further than money.

The primary problem here is that black people can't wear their hair without being discriminated yet non-black can in America. This is very much an American problem so how does being mad at Korean idols who live in Korea will help alleviate the problem or coming closer to solving it?

• And your point? We are talking about a hairstyle that was made popular by black people and it's associated with black culture.

you're acting like black people are the only ones with that type of hair.

and what you're saying is only true in the west ?(

LAFBL0s.gif

Æmen

• And your point? We are talking about a hairstyle that was made popular by black people and it's associated with black culture.

Everything that becomes popular gets appropriated by everyone. Wu Tang Clan didn't ask permission for using Chinese culture as an aesthetic. It merely happened because martial arts became big in the 80's with Bruce Lee movies and such.

• Everything that becomes popular gets appropriated by everyone. Wu Tang Clan didn't ask permission for using Chinese culture as an aesthetic. It merely happened because martial arts became big in the 80's with Bruce Lee movies and such.

Sure, but that's still a problem right? We're not exchanging things equally. The point of the CA discussion is that someone is using something without recognizing its history. While the ones that made it popular still carries the original burden of what they created.

• This is surely an embarrassing situation for idols to get lectured on american cultural wars, when the aim of these 1 minute long fanmeets is simply for fans to get the chance to have a small talk and say some banalities with the idols.

But this could be resolved easily,the company could just blacklist the individual so that the he or she never gets the opportunity again, maybe they are already doing that who knows.

Edited once, last by vicll ().

• bad take bro omg

actually it's not mate, I understand all the shit things white people did to others, but I am Romanian.

I am white, yes, but our kind was traded as slaves by the Turks for hundreds of years.

I'm just saying that just because other white people enslaved others, we were enslaved as well.

And we were white.

All I want is for people to stop thinking of humans in terms of color or race and just embrace the fact that we all fucked up in the past because of money.

Let's not forget here that Egyptians had Nubian slaves, or Morroco had slave markets to sell to Spain on the daily.

All of us are human, and all of our human ancestors only cared about money and their well being, not the well being of others.

Accept that, and we can move forward as a species.

• I think it depends on how the issue is raised. Should be possible to do so kindly. Feedback doesn't have to be bullying. For instance someone could say, "I really loved this video, although xyz made me a little uncomfortable because only people from [whatever] culture wear this thing. Many people don't know that though so I just wanted to make you aware for the future."

I think something like that is fine.

the problems comes when the people who is giving a lecture about ca doesn´t know sh** about other angient cultures that also have the same habits like braids...

did blackpink release a new album today?'s tweet - "#LALISA ACAB, aquí solo  respetamos a la POLISA " - TrendsmapID BI****S

OT4 BLINKS OR JAIL

• This thread contains 101 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!