GP999 is actually doing really well in South Korea....another top girlgroup incoming ?

• According to the research, Mnet's 'Street Fighter Woman' came in the first place, beating out Mnet's 'Girl's Planet 999' that came in 2nd place, tvN's 'You Quiz on the Block' in third place, and MBC's 'I Live Alone,' in fourth place. 'Street Woman Fighter' took the number 1 spot during this week after airing only the first episode of the show.

Despite all the rigid thingy with produce , knetz still watching mnet survival show tho

So GP999 will be another competitor for the 4th gen girlgroup.. interesting !

• Ummm, the show still hasn't broken 0.8% in ratings yet, let alone 1% lol. I don't think that many people are watching it.

For reference, by Episode 4, Produce 101 Season 1 (aka back when Produce was not an established brand yet) was already at 3%. Same with Produce 48.

This seems to be going down the I-Land route ratings-wise. Unless the show really picks up in popularity, I doubt this group will have much GP recognition. If the right contestants make it, they could have a good international fandom though.

• No one wants to see Izone duplicates and copies. Korea wants Izone and Izone only. X( Imagine Msnake thinking any of these rando trainees are a match for Yena, Yuri, Minju, and the rest of Izone. Just look at them, they can even challenge Twice for cuteness and BP for badassness.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I don't really understand the Korean Ratings system, but what I have seen actually looks really bad when compared to past seasons of the show by the same metric (unless there is more to it)

Ep Produce 101 Produce 48 Girls Planet 999
    1 1.04 1.132 0.461
    2 1.56 1.913 0.760
    3 1.78 1.999 0.708
    4 3.31 2.833 0.711
    5 3.48 2.538 TBA
    6 3.41 2.479 TBA
    7 3.78 2.075 TBA
    8 3.66 2.397 TBA
    9 2.98 2.561 TBA
    10 3.69 2.594 TBA
    11 4.38 2.435 TBA
    12 N/A 3.085 TBA

Also they set the voting to 50% from Korea 50% Internationally

And the last thing I saw implied Korean votes were worth more than 7 International Votes

I think they expected allot more Koreans to be voting on the show, but they are not tuning in (probably due to scandals)

I am concerned this group could be more comparable to The UniT in terms of popularity than IZ*ONE at this rate

• It won't do as badly as The Unit.

• No one wants to see Izone duplicates and copies. Korea wants Izone and Izone only. X( Imagine Msnake thinking any of these rando trainees are a match for Yena, Yuri, Minju, and the rest of Izone. Just look at them, they can even challenge Twice for cuteness and BP for badassness.

Yeah people also said this with IOI when Produce 48 was happening, calling them all sorts of flops no one would want to stand, and low & behold…. IZ*One happened

Like I know it sucks that they disbanded and all, but it’s not the GP999 girls fault nor is it there problem lmbo

• Y’all do know that just because the show ain’t doing so hot on TV, doesn’t mean no one is streaming right? And this show is doing the same as every non-Produce show so the current ratings don’t equate to automatic flop when the group debuts

• Y’all do know that just because the show ain’t doing so hot on TV, doesn’t mean no one is streaming right? And this show is doing the same as every non-Produce show so the current ratings don’t equate to automatic flop when the group debuts

Which survival show group apart from a non-Produce one hasn't flopped though? Enhypen are doing well physically but they're flops digitally and I see the same for this GG. If some popular members make it in, they'll do well in physicals and in international sales, but their digital sales will be like Fromis_9's.

• Which survival show group apart from a non-Produce one hasn't flopped though? Enhypen are doing well physically but they're flops digitally and I see the same for this GG. If some popular members make it in, they'll do well in physicals and in international sales, but their digital sales will be like Fromis_9's.

Sixteen?

Twice came out of that show, but it is a bit different since it was basically just JYP picking a group like he would normally do, except it was shown on TV.

• don't take Korean this serious... let's be honest it's not like they are buying albums, they usually buy 10, maybe in max 20% of one or another group total sales

this group already will have chn + jpn fanbases + of course ifans support

because currently there is ban for survival shows in China kids will for sure are happy to watch Girls Planet 999 on IQIYI

Japan seems concerned about covid so also they spent more time in home and watch GP on AbemaTV

• Which survival show group apart from a non-Produce one hasn't flopped though? Enhypen are doing well physically but they're flops digitally and I see the same for this GG. If some popular members make it in, they'll do well in physicals and in international sales, but their digital sales will be like Fromis_9's.

Twice, Monsta X, Winner & Ikon, Fromis_9, Stray Kids, (not really a survival show since everyone debuted, but still formatted as such) Big Bang, 2pm, Vixx, the list goes on

Even Momoland was starting to rise really well and they came from a survival show too, and the momentum would've gotten higher if their agency wasn’t being dumbasses by ruining it with yanking members from the lineup & promoting them badly

And no Enhypen is included in that too. Not doing hot in one specific category doesn’t equate to being a flop. Were Sistar & their low physicals considered flops too? And also Enhypen aren’t even a year old yet, even going by your standards they wouldn’t be considered flops cuz no one is expected to be the next biggest Kpop group when they breathed for 5 seconds in the industry

We don’t know how the GP999 GG will do, a lineup hasn’t even been revealed let alone music releasing or such, and yet you’ve determined their whole career in the most negative was possible to you because of a tv rating? Despite also knowing that most people stream it online, which doesn’t reflect on tv ratings

Y’all just get trigger happy to downgrade any groups y’all don’t like & it’s weird

Edit: As a matter of fact, going by your logic more, you’re still wrong. Road to Kingdom & Kingdom had very low ratings, as a matter of fact one of the latest Girls Planet 999 episodes surpassed all of the Kingdom episodes in ratings

Meanwhile the BGs from the shows started rising heavily due to the show

Moral of the story, you’re wrong for having the very forced logic that every group will flop if there survival show ratings are low

Edited once, last by Lubby00 ().

• We don’t know how the GP999 GG will do, a lineup hasn’t even been revealed let alone music releasing or such, and yet you’ve determined their whole career in the most negative was possible to you because of a tv rating? Despite also knowing that most people stream it online, which doesn’t reflect on tv ratings

True, I know that even some Koreans watch it on YT/iQiyi (VOD) through VPN - some because of convenience, others cuz they don't want to give Mnet TV ratings, lol.

• It's different for BGs since they don't need public recognition to rise (hence Kingdom). GGs need it.

Twice has the benefit of being from JYP/Big 3. Winner and iKon also debuted in YG's golden era and would've done well even without the survival aspect (but their ratings were better than GP999).

Fromis_9 is a pretty flop GG for now tbh. Their physicals are average but their new song didn't even enter Melon Real Time Top 100.

The ratings for 2pm's survival show were pretty good tbh, and VIXX/Monsta X gained popularity steadily. Since GP999 will be a temporary group, they won't have the same luxury.

Also, when I was comparing GP999 to Produce, I meant shows with similar formats - taking trainees from different companies/independent trainees, and having them debut together. Shows in this format apart from Produce - The Unit, Mixnine, Under 19, World Klass, Idol School, Boys24. None of them have come out with a hit group.

• It's different for BGs since they don't need public recognition to rise (hence Kingdom). GGs need it.

Twice has the benefit of being from JYP/Big 3. Winner and iKon also debuted in YG's golden era and would've done well even without the survival aspect (but their ratings were better than GP999).

Fromis_9 is a pretty flop GG for now tbh. Their physicals are average but their new song didn't even enter Melon Real Time Top 100.

The ratings for 2pm's survival show were pretty good tbh, and VIXX/Monsta X gained popularity steadily. Since GP999 will be a temporary group, they won't have the same luxury.

Also, when I was comparing GP999 to Produce, I meant shows with similar formats - taking trainees from different companies/independent trainees, and having them debut together. Shows in this format apart from Produce - The Unit, Mixnine, Under 19, World Klass, Idol School, Boys24. None of them have come out with a hit group.

Also imo, another great metric for how well a show is doing (if we're going by your logic of more Koreans streaming than watching it real time) is discussion around the show on online communities. For RTK and Kingdom, despite low ratings, Pann and TheQoo were filled with trending posts about the show when the episode aired. Street Woman Fighter had 10 (or even more) trending 'HOT' articles on TheQoo and half of the trending articles on Pann are about that show (including the #1 article, where people are talking about who's their fave dancer on the show).

GP999 doesn't even get 20% of that. The only times it trends is when people want to talk about the controversial Chinese members or Kim Chaehyun (who is easily the most popular trainee in Korean rn, according to Pann, we'll see that reflected in Korean votings).

• Well, at least for MixNine it is not true - the group simply did not form in the end, so technically they did not flop, lol. I would wait before making sweeping predictions though.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!