Why do we focus on the idols who were bullies and not the school systems who allowed it to happen?

• When it comes to bully scandals, why is it that we only focus on the Idols who were accused or were the bully? But we never focus on the school system who allowed it to happen in the first place?

Correct me if I am wrong , but in my area teachers are more preoccupied with studies, they are told to give a blind eye to bullying because of the lawsuits from the parents of the bullies..etc that can come their way, so most of them do turn a blind eye, instead focusing on academics. Sometimes, my mom told me that teachers especially in poorer areas would get paid off by bullies/their influential parents in order to run havoc. Rich international schools have a lot of self absorbed, rich people that bully people and I doubt the teachers know/can do anything about it.

• From what I understand it's way bigger than just the school system... it's their entire social hierarchy that can contribute to these problems.

• Because it's easier to consider that these behaviour are 'outside the norm of society', when they are exactly what society created.

Don't get me wrong, individual responsability does exists. But it's like the school shootings in the US. At some point you need to realise that yes, children can act as monster, but something inside the system enabled them and inspired them to act that way.

• Because schools are utter shit at dealing with bullying. One of my friends was bullied by this one guy and every time he r reported to his teachers he was always told the teachers will have a word with him. That's literally they ask they ever did. That didn't stop the actual violence, it made it even worse. The most discipline he got from teachers was suspension of 3 days.

When another kid who fought back against the same bully he got suspended for a week.

The bully was finally expelled. Know why? Because he deflated a teacher's tire. Not because of the kids he physically hurt, not because of the things he stole from them, not because of the constant abuse. When a students life was in danger it didn't matter but as soon as when after teacher property they suddenly leapt into action.

• Correct me if I am wrong , but in my area teachers are more preoccupied with studies, they are told to give a blind eye to bullying because of the lawsuits from the parents of the bullies..etc that can come their way, so most of them do turn a blind eye, instead focusing on academics. Sometimes, my mom told me that teachers especially in poorer areas would get paid off by bullies/their influential parents in order to run havoc. Rich international schools have a lot of self absorbed, rich people that bully people and I doubt the teachers know/can do anything about it.

So the system is fucked up, hence the thread.

It sounds crazy to me that schools and teachers supposedly can't do anything to bullies. That sounds dumb to me. And if so, what about parents? I never really got into such a situation, but I know if had and talked to my dad about it, he would have done something.

What I don't understand with bullies is, they are kids of your own school. You know their name, you might even know their address. It's nothing like being racketted by a stranger you never met on your way home. For the school administration, it should be quite easy to deal with. The bully has good grades? Tank their grades. If they don't, other disciplinary actions exist. School expulsion is one of them.

• Bullying is a big problem in SK.

“Nearly 1 in 10 students at Korean primary and secondary schools has suffered from various forms of violence at the hands of their peers, according to a survey by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology

“Korea's youth suicide rate jumped nearly 50 per cent from 6.4 to 9.4 per every 100,000 people in the past 10 years, according to data from the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development.

According to the survey by National Youth Policy Institute, about 23.4 per cent of Korean youths thought of committing suicide in 2012.

Concern about academic performance was the most dominant reason for 36.7 per cent of respondents, followed by family troubles and school violence for 23.7 per cent and 7.6 per cent, respectively.”

Source: https://www.google.com.sg/amp/…e-students-bullying%3famp

• I've ben bullied, but I've forgiven my bullies and im almost 30 years old, if I knew where my bullied work I would never destroy their career because of what they did as a child.

It's sick just as sick as the school system allowing the bullying to happen.

• It’s more than just the school system though.

I mean if people are not going to bully others because they are scared of school policies then they must be pretty messed up inside. Because it shows they innately want to hurt others.

Some of us have had bad school systems that did nothing against bullying and yet we did not become like that.

It’s true the school can tighten their measures but I believe these kind of bullies will just direct their urges towards something else. The problem should be solved at the roots. I think bullying is a case of bad parenting. After all charity begins at home

• I've ben bullied, but I've forgiven my bullies and im almost 30 years old, if I knew where my bullied work I would never destroy their career because of what they did as a child.

It's sick just as sick as the school system allowing the bullying to happen.

I guess it depends what lasting impact the bullying might have. My sister was heavily bullied for a year, but my parents stepped in, and she doesn't seem to suffer from it nowadays. However some people have their mental health seriously compromised.

One of my friend was bullied by her own teacher ( I know, that's another issue altogether ) for her weight, and she went through ten years of eating disorders, and suicidal tendancies. She is still really fragile.

But I agress that punishing the bullies ten years later is not really helpful in any way ( except if these bullies are still acting up and hurting people right now ). Teachers and parents need to step up and punish the bullies right away to help the victims.

• I guess punishing the bullying idols is a form of making an example for all that were bullied but it isn't as much solving the problem as it is quenching a thirst for vengeance.

But treating the roots isn't as easy. Like said above, the very hierarchical society they have must not help at all.

As someone who has teached, it is not easy, especially from a certain age on, to know what's going on. And parents certainly do not help...

• The education system in Korea is wrong.

However, that doesn't make a difference that those bullies decide to bully other people.

It is a choice made by the bullies to use the hole of the education system to bully people.

I don't like cancel culture, and I never hoped once that idol who gets caught in a bully scandal to leave their respective group.

However, I don't think we should fully shift the blame of the education system than bullies.

• So the system is fucked up, hence the thread.

It sounds crazy to me that schools and teachers supposedly can't do anything to bullies. That sounds dumb to me. And if so, what about parents? I never really got into such a situation, but I know if had and talked to my dad about it, he would have done something.

What I don't understand with bullies is, they are kids of your own school. You know their name, you might even know their address. It's nothing like being racketted by a stranger you never met on your way home. For the school administration, it should be quite easy to deal with. The bully has good grades? Tank their grades. If they don't, other disciplinary actions exist. School expulsion is one of them.

Yeah ofc it is! Usually bullies try to get expelled from school anyways but I think a school can get fined if many suspensions happen..etc.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!