What is stopping kpop groups from gaining mass appeal??

• luck plays a huge role why BTS became so popular, they became huge after one direction disbandment. Zoomers wanted a new group to stan and BTS was the only option available during that time, so everyone jumped off to the bandwagon. There is really no difference to what BTS, straykids, TXT, NCT are doing, it's just good timing.

Also straykids are gaining a lot of attention lately they might become the next big thing, so keep an eye on them.

• This pattern doesn't apply to BTS or at least not completely. They never had one breakthrough moment but a steady rise to the top and several breakthrough moments with various audiences in different places. They are still growing in their eighth year which is very unusual for a musical act so they might be others reasons than marketing and their current exposure to explain their success. A lot of artists went to the top in an impressive way but they also quickly faded away soon after. Its maybe too early to tell but for now BTs are showing great signs of longevity.

I am not denying the fact that marketing and luck played a rule in their success but people overexaggerate it when it's about BTS. I am a long time ARMY and I am tired of people saying that it's all the "BTS mythos", "The BTS sobbing strategy to manipulate their fans". It's ridiculous after a while. Others Kpop groups are marketed too.

If you read carefully between the lines, at no point did I try to imply that BTS' success was all thanks to marketing and luck. I have repeatedly emphasised the importance of the foundation under all the marketing, repeatedly emphasised that if you don't have what it takes then marketing alone won't benefit you. Finally, believe or not but when I talked about how being at the top doesn't automatically and necessarily make you better and being nugu doesn't mean you're unworthy, I was including all popular groups in the first half of my statement, even my own faves.

Forgive me for I'm going to ignore your second paragraph, that whole thing about sob stories and what not has nothing to do with me or any of my posts here.

• luck plays a huge role why BTS became so popular, they became huge after one direction disbandment. Zoomers wanted a new group to stan and BTS was the only option available during that time, so everyone jumped off to the bandwagon. There is really no difference to what BTS, straykids, TXT, NCT are doing, it's just good timing.

Also straykids are gaining a lot of attention lately they might become the next big thing, so keep an eye on them.

And, much more than luck, it's the members of BTS themselves.

• Is the question "Why is BTS popular?" or "What's stopping idol groups from being popular like BTS?" The title is saying one thing but the OP is saying another.

Everyone is equally confused

:pepe-hehe::pepe-hehe::pepe-hehe:

• If you read carefully between the lines, at no point did I try to imply that BTS' success was all thanks to marketing and luck. I have repeatedly emphasised the importance of the foundation under all the marketing, repeatedly emphasised that if you don't have what it takes then marketing alone won't benefit you. Finally, believe or not but when I talked about how being at the top doesn't automatically and necessarily make you better and being nugu doesn't mean you're unworthy, I was including all popular groups in the first half of my statement, even my own faves.

Forgive me for I'm going to ignore your second paragraph, that whole thing about sob stories and what not has nothing to do with me or any of my posts here.

I was only answering to you when you compared BTS journey to some others groups and their breakthrough moment.

I should have make it more clear that the rest of my post was not directed to you but to those who keep coming back with the same narrative regarding HYBE marketing. I haven't seen you implying that BTS success was all thank to marketing.

• I don't think OP meant appeal from the Western GP. They meant appeal from the Korean GP.

Nope I got it right. Look at these sentences in the OP.

mass appeal like BTS?

propelled them to the global market

What is stopping the general world public from following other groups?

I would have thought the same if B.A.P wouldn’t have fallen so deeply after 2014. They also had everything in them and were different than the rest, but somehow it was not enough to survive in Korea, while BTS conquered the whole music world… meaning, it can’t be only that.

BAP don't have BigHit and ARMYs with them. They never had company as good as BigHit and fans as good as ARMYs. Their fans are one of the reasons for their demise but they found the scapegoat in TS who are the biggest reason but still there were other factors for them not going big.

ARMYs have ever denied that marketing, promotions, luck, etc haven't played part in BTS' success. ARMYs know it's combination of things and not one or two things. The problem here is the OP here thinks it's only about that and many k-pop fans have also been made to think like that.

People are replying to this and not your imaginary thoughts like "marketing and luck are not important".

They knew what to do at the right time and had a great marketing campaign that propelled them to the global market

I know that luck plays a vital part in every success story, but kpop has such a constant output of content that I find it strange that no other group has managed to raise to the same heights.

• luck plays a huge role why BTS became so popular, they became huge after one direction disbandment. Zoomers wanted a new group to stan and BTS was the only option available during that time, so everyone jumped off to the bandwagon.

Do you mean One Direction PAVED THE WAY™ ?

SSJ/OT6 comeback waiting room...

SSJ.png

• People continuing to add their two cents about all the happenstance that went into BTS becoming big but not once pointing out what their faves may be lacking as to why they didn't...and it ain't just luck...

Y’all saying this as if there wasn’t a whole EXO reigning with a massive fanbase, snatching daesangs, and charting on Billboard throughout BTS’ rise….

• People continuing to add their two cents about all the happenstance that went into BTS becoming big but not once pointing out what their faves may be lacking as to why they didn't...and it ain't just luck...

My fave don't they lack nothing and has all the right people to succeed: Mommy Shark, Daddy Shark, Grandma Shark, Grandpa Shark. With all the right sharks on its side, Baby Shark is indestructible. Bulletproof.

• And, much more than luck, it's the members of BTS themselves.

"The only good luck many great men ever had was being born with the ability & determination to overcome the bad luck"

People say kpop stans is a bunch of nonsense. This thread actually proves it.

It is said People's mentality turns into those people who they look upto. I agreed even with more determinedness after this thread.

To answer the actual question of the title:

May be the loser mentality of Kpop stans about associating success with luck & promo is contagious & they contagiously infected by it from the groups they stan. People with this type of mentality keep fighting with their tools whole life, fade to Ashes & keep being a frog of a well.

Hope, The person who made the thread got perfect answer.

Welcome.

I stan this Kind of people..

Even if I fall, I come right up, scream

That's how we've always been
    Even if my knees drop to the ground
    As long as they don't get buried
    It won't matter
    Win no matter what
    Win no matter what
    Whatever you say, whatever they say (Lyrics-ON)

Who teaches me this.

It can be another answer. Behaving like a loser not a cup of tea for my fav not for me.

• When I opened this I wasn't expecting to see BTS in the op but now I feel silly thinking back on it.

In my opinion, BTS has all the right ingredients to capture a big audience.

A lot of people get lucky and blow up but they fail to keep that momentum so it goes further than luck.

A lot of groups have appealing music so it goes further than that.

A lot of groups have talented members so it goes further than that.

You can venn diagram BTS' story to their peers all you want but the truth of the matter is that it is BTS had all the right ingredients in the right bowl.

The next big group will have to find their own recipe for success. The biggest consumers in music are humans and there's never been an exact science to why humans like what they like

• Theres no such thing as luck. At least thats what I believe.

Like I said, if you start with a group. Your brain will think no one will be able to surpass that group, a bias thinking. Lets not pretend we are all not. Other nugu groups lacks nothing, they are just not the first choice when people want to start to get into kpop.

But when BTS was nugu, they definitely have the appeal that drawn many. Their dancing for example. Well at least that was what impressed me. Back then there was no group that is untouchable, most were on the same level. But now, BTS is definitely the 1st pick for anyone to get into KPOP because they are at the top. And the market is oversaturated, every one of them is great and lacks nothing. its overwhelmed with groups and people dont know where to start hence stopping in track.

Warning: Everything I said are said jokingly, take them as such. :starec:

Now, Fight! Fight!

• Music nothing else.

You make goood music you attract fans.

You continue making good music fans stay with you.

Whatever others people say are just excuses .

No one gets luck with every release and every album. If anyone thinks that they are either kids who believe in santa or adults who don't know how real world works.

Promo logic is again bullshit!!!!! If music is bad no matter the promo the song won't stay long which is quite the opposite to what happens with bts.

• It's not directed at BTS in case people try to spin it and say that I hate them.

But the general analogy/example I like to use is, was Brave Girl's "Rollin" a shit tier song in 2017, and suddenly it miraculously become a god tier song in 2021? Like in this 4 years the quality of the song magically increase 100x that it became the GG song with most PAKs?

If people can answer me yes then I have nothing to say

Its called promotion. Songs with no promo can only top the chart due to virality. It’s not rocket science

• If there's no such thing as luck, then explain Brave Girls' Rollin. I guess between March 2017 and Feb 2021 it was a terribad song but all of a sudden it became a masterpiece because its fundamental nature changed overnight? Is it because of quantum physics or some shit? Please Christopher Nolan, make a movie about this.

• Interesting and I have to say I agree but to a certain point :pepe-toast:

Namjoon when asked about this said that they are at the eye of the hurricane and maybe when it clears down they will have an answer to this question.

If it was so easy, other companies would have already replicated it. We don't have to go to other companies, BTS's own company can't replicate them. They are once in a lifetime group.

Other companies are trying to replicate by taking guesses like we all are about what made BTS successful but even with the kpop market bigger than previously there's no group is close.

Such a huge success that bts have cannot ever be attributed to a single metric. So let's just wait and enjoy the ride :pepe_akorns::pepe-toast:

For legal reasons: many of the things I say are said jokingly, take them as such :wilds::oks:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!