Hit Song Analysis (Year-End Digital Charts: 2010-2020) [Discussion Thread]

• Hello to another chart analysis that hopefully won’t be moved.

I took a couple of hours today to analyze the Gaon Year-End charts from 2010 to 2020 to see which hits had longevity.

In total:

99 songs have charted on 2 year-end charts

5 songs have charted on 3 year-end charts

2 songs have charted on 4 year-end charts

All songs are listed below. I also included a couple of songs that charted on only 1 year-end chart, but did exceptionally well and deserve to be included.

Please keep in mind that I’m only analyzing one platform: Gaon, which is an aggregate of 5 Korean streaming services (Melon, FLO, Genie, Bugs, and VIBE). YouTube, Spotify, and any other international services are not counted here.

Score breakdown is as follows:

Chart is here: https://bit.ly/3cIwZFm

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Please keep in mind that this is no way aiming to be official. This is a fan-made interpretation where all metrics are publicly available information, and I was transparent with my criteria. The last official ranking done by Gaon is in this infographic (see below):

This is also not a full analysis. Not double counting the 99 songs that charted in more than 1 year, that’s 795 more songs left to analyze. Maybe I’ll try that later in the year, and if I get a team lol.

If you have any questions, please ask me!

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

Edited 3 times, last by MassiveKpopFan ().

• Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Why dont you just use year end positions? That is constant over the years and gives a position to how that song ranked relative to other songs released that year. And the more years charted, obviously means bigger hit. I think the points based system (like digital index formula) tends to overestimate 2017/2018 songs because thats when the movement from downloads to streams was optimal.

I got these top 10 songs:

1. 밤편지 아이유 (IU) 220 (Through the night)
    2. 봄날 방탄소년단 211 (Spring Day)
    3. 모든 날, 모든 순간 (Every day, Every Moment) 폴킴 196
    4. 벚꽃 엔딩 버스커 버스커 (Busker Busker) 188
    5. 선물 멜로망스(Melomance) 170
    6. Shape of You Ed Sheeran 169
    7. 우주를 줄게 볼빨간사춘기 167
    8. Way Back Home 숀 (SHAUN) 167
    9. 또 다시 사랑 임창정 166
    10. 좋은 날 아이유 (IU) 164

Kind of similar and underestimates recent songs.

• Why dont you just use year end positions? That is constant over the years and gives a position to how that song ranked relative to other songs released that year. And the more years charted, obviously means bigger hit.

I got these top 10 songs:

1. 밤편지 아이유 (IU) 220 (Through the night)
    2. 봄날 방탄소년단 211 (Spring Day)
    3. 모든 날, 모든 순간 (Every day, Every Moment) 폴킴 196
    4. 벚꽃 엔딩 버스커 버스커 (Busker Busker) 188
    5. 선물 멜로망스(Melomance) 170
    6. Shape of You Ed Sheeran 169
    7. 우주를 줄게 볼빨간사춘기 167
    8. Way Back Home 숀 (SHAUN) 167
    9. 또 다시 사랑 임창정 166
    10. 좋은 날 아이유 (IU) 164

Kind of similar and underestimates recent songs.

You did something similar to me, but I also added the downloads and streaming markers. I got inspired to do the #1=100, #2-99, etc. thing from a thread you did last year.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Except Spring Day!

Exactly. :yesr:

I haven't seen the sheet yet.

But why only 50 points for 100m streams.

Since streaming is as relevant now as downloads were in early 2010s.

And downloads are as irrelevant now as streaming was in early 2010s.

Even Gaon considers 2.5m downloads = 100m streams.

Where did Gaon say that? If you can show me, I'd like to see it.

Also about your downloads vs. streaming point. Downloads have been a marker for success even since before Gaon was created. And in 2013, downloads doubled in price. So I hold songs that can reach the download marker a little bit higher.

Even now, only 4 songs released after 2018 have hit 2.5M downloads, and they're all from early 2019.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• BTS has 2 songs in top 10 and any other group doesnt even make it to top 20.

Any way we look at the data, BTS is overwhelmingly the biggest digimon of 3rd gen and has the biggest hit songs. And this is without Dynamite having enough time to accumulate any real points.

• Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• BTS has 2 songs in top 10 and any other group doesnt even make it to top 20.

Any way we look at the data, BTS is overwhelmingly the biggest digimon of 3rd gen and has the biggest hit songs. And this is without Dynamite having enough time to accumulate any real points.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

Edited once, last by MassiveKpopFan ().

• I noticed now!

I do like this approach since it doesnt articially inflate short term success and looks at the overall numbers.

Thanks! This chart aims to analyze longevity after all.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

Edited once, last by MassiveKpopFan ().

• Never heard of Melomance Gift lol

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Was expecting to see OMG. Do you think brave girls can get in this year??

I haven't done 2020 songs on purpose, I will include them once the 2021 Year End chart is released.

Rollin will probably get top 3 on the 2021 year end chart, so yeah.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• how is a thread on hit song analysis not in the kpop music section? it’s about music, nothing to do with news, gossip etc. they should just rename it the achievements section like in the old forum... the news section just makes no sense to me

• how is a thread on hit song analysis not in the kpop music section? it’s about music, nothing to do with news, gossip etc. they should just rename it the achievements section like in the old forum... the news section just makes no sense to me

There should just be a gossip section where all the shipping threads and actual scandal news goes.

I'm seriously debating whether I should make a petition, this is ridiculous.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• This really shows how little relevant the idol music has on Korean music industry. Just the big groups are making it as always. Was expecting to see OMG. Do you think brave girls can get in this year??

It is to be expected that soloists dominate when it comes to longevity.

It is 'melody' which lingers in memories and not bops or other 'busy' music, which give temporary highs for a short period and then fade away. Ask anybody over 40+ of the songs they remember from their teens or twenties, they will remember the melodies more than any other type - even monster hits of their teens, they have to consciously remember or be prompted about.

And idol groups churn the proportion of melodies to bops-beats is very low on melodies.

• This thread contains 22 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!