Joy - Wendy are proof 'talent' is the least important factor

• So 3 of Joy's remake songs are charting on MelOn and Wendy never charted once with any of her songs on the top 100. Obvious Wendy can sing circles around Joy, and she can actually sing live while Joy is heavily dependent on studio "magic". That being said let's compare the difference between them:

Joy:

known for her body

spicy cutie/sexy persona

has nice vocal color

Wendy:

known for her vocals

'nice girl' personality

has power vocal tone

The main difference is that Joy has some more charm (through her cutie sexy persona) and she's more known for her body (she trended a lot for this during the peekaboo era).

• Official Post

It's almost like they were two completely different songs that were marketed in two completely different ways... :/

• The song is more upbeat and perfect for the summer. And don't forget that it is a remake. Maybe Koreans liked the original and they want to hear a new version of it.

There's also the possibility that more people know Joy from her dramas.

• Luna "LIKED" the original post.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• From what performance does your dp come from ?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• tbf wendy is liked for her visual and personality more than Joy if we're talking about korea ( never internationally tbh )

not sure about the visual part right now, but she used to be recognized as pretty and smart and all during RV's peak for sure

i just think the song was worse......

and Wendy's absence from the public eye might have made them lose interest

• actually no

The only people who really hype up Wendy visuals in Korea are her fangirls

For Joy the public comment more on her body

• actually no

The only people who really hype up Wendy visuals in Korea are her fangirls

For Joy the public comment more on her body

in that sense, both wendy and joy are the least recognized members of Red Velvet as a whole

Irene we all know why

Seulgi kinda has a huge fanbase

Yeri we all know why

if that leaves Joy and Wendy, I doubt there's a huge difference in public recognition between the two

pretty sure it was just hte song

people are bored and not looking for slow songs these days

• I'm not going to lie and say Wendy's vocal capabilites aren't better than Joy's. However, Joy can sing, and she sings good, both live and in studio. And Koreans love her voice, she's called tone fairy there. So along with her beautiful singing voice, the fact that it's a remake album and that the mood of the songs fits this season were probably what drew people in. So don't even try to sexualize her and say she's just popular for her looks or something. People are listening to her music, not watching her dance or something. So it's obviously not to look at her body...

• Just to correct a misinformation I've seen in this forum more than once.

Like Water reached #30 and When This Rain Stops #40 on 24Hits. But they didn't hold.

As for the rest I won't entertain a known troll.

• Luna "LIKED" the original post.

#Justice for Luna

External Content www.youtube.com

• before talent? the song didn't sing itself, she did.

why is she popular? because people like her voice, her personality and she looks nice. there are ofc exceptions but in most cases, you need all three things to be popular just look at who's the most popular in bts. just because there are better vocalists than her doesn't mean she's not talented, i don't know you undermining her talent.

• Wendy's album is excellent and she's adorable visually and her personality is really hammy and cute. She's always been kind of right there with Irene as my bias but ...

I've never paid as much attention to Joy but she really blew me away with the live performance of Je T'aime (that smile!!). She's got such a captivating charm and genuine sweetness. She's beautiful of course. Then Hello came in and just crushed everyone's heart. Whomever came up with that concept really nailed it. It's a perfect video, really cute and endearing and has a great energy about it.

I love both albums, differently. Red Velvet is the real deal.

• Meh. RV's #1 anti at it again :rolleyes1:

Why are you even acting as if you've discovered the wheel or fire?

When you check which songs do best, those are often sung by people who aren't the best, most skilled vocalists. This isn't any different in US charts as it is in Korean charts. This hasn't been any different in the past dozens of years.

There's a lot of factors that play a role in a song's success, not the least among them the song itself and how it's promoted.

But you already knew that. You were just looking for ways to buzzkill and shade on RV members and their successes, like you've been doing as long as you've been on K-pop forums :siptear:

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• I’m only bringing it up because the narrative according to many kpop fans is that talent is above all else

> why are my faves popular

Talent

> why are my faves successful

Talent

> why do I stan my faves

Talent

When in reality so many other are actually the deciding factors, to reiterate: visuals, promotion, song, hype, charisma, company, marketing, etc

• Why do you give so much importance to some kpop fans' opinion?

Every damn time you make a thread you try to point fingers at kpop fans, i-fans and everyone in between.

Your threads are getting redundant because your arguments always narrow down to "because kpop fans think or say this or that".

We get it, you don't have your own opinion. Just listen to the goddamn music.

• that’s what discussion is, discuss different opinions and points of view, including that of the majority

• Fans, no matter which fandom because all do it, will always claim their bias' successes is because they're the most deserving ones of that success due to their mix of talents/uniqueness/hard work that make them different from all other groups etc etc.

Not all fans will think like that, but enough do so and will state so, and this hasn't been any different in the whole of K-pop history, no need to single out Joy and Wendy for that.

In fact, that isn't even limited to K-pop, but just human behavior.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• This thread contains 9 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!