What makes Wendy unexciting to non-fans?

• So I was reading a post someone posted and they mentioned Wendy and it made me think that despite Wendy being universally recognized for her vocals, coming from a big company and people being aware of her accident and things she went through, her solo flopped with the public. She's not a standard visual but she has a cute-ish face, and she's nice.

Maybe Wendy just lacks something that makes her stand out. Besides the solo thing, she's like the 2nd least popular after Yeri. She just seems like a regular, nice cute bubbly girl with good vocals. But people need more than just a voice to get really excited like they would for Taeyeon. I think even if SM gives her an amazing song, the interest will only last until the song, like Love Scenario with iKon. But it won't linger.

• The only thing she lacks is proper promotion and clothes by sm. Have you seen the zimzalabim horror show? Like they thought a dead animal looking rag would be “StYliSh OuTfIt“ or when she looked like bob the builder in ompaloompa

She looked beautiful in Psycho but we all know how this turned out 😢

• The only thing she lacks is proper promotion and clothes by sm. Have you seen the zimzalabim horror show? Like they thought a dead animal looking rag would be “StYliSh OuTfIt“ or when she looked like bob the builder in ompaloompa

I think she got a good promotion for her solo. There were a lot of photos in expensive looking clothes. She was on some shows (not the big ones though, but she's just starting as a solo artist). And to be honest, there's probably something about her that seems like her energy is weird, like she's too tense underneath her smile. I notice it since debut and she still has it

• I think she got a good promotion for her solo. There were a lot of photos in expensive looking clothes. She was on some shows (not the big ones though, but she's just starting as a solo artist). And to be honest, there's probably something about her that seems like her energy is weird, like she's too tense underneath her smile. I notice it since debut and she still has it

The problem with her comeback was that it wasn’t catchy enough and it showed her vocal talent but I think she should get a poppy comeback song that showcases her idol qualities since everyone already knows how strong her vocals are. I think that due to her injuries she cannot do heavy dancing and promote with heavy dancing

Oh goodness...I'd rather forget about that LMAO:cryingr:

And I miss them sooo much cri ;(

ღ Happy Birthday / 10.18.2005 ღ

6f2600f9ca710c96c5228757df28dbe5d21c9ff1.gifv giphy.gif 84e36da9f196e239f5a3bc0d2103c8cce10f4953.gifv

• The problem with her comeback was that it wasn’t catchy enough and it showed her vocal talent but I think she should get a poppy comeback song that showcases her idol qualities since everyone already knows how strong her vocals are. I think that due to her injuries she cannot do heavy dancing and promote with heavy dancing

For some reason, Korean GP is obsessed with the same crusty OST ballads sung by the same crusty boomers, but when an idol with an amazing voice sings those same ballads, the Korean GP pays them dust. Makes no sense. I read that even Joy's OST is flopping. Hell, even BP's best song from The Album, You Never Know, flopped relative to all the other B sides cause it was a Kpop ballad.

• I thought Wendy's comeback was really good, I swear if IU released that everyone would be all over it. Maybe they should have gone with an upbeat number. I don't think Wendy injured her legs did she so could have danced as far as I know

WHY YOU SHOULDN'T HATE ON IDOLS

1. They are young people trying their best in a competitive industry.

2. You don't know what other pressures they are under, company mistreatment, diet, lack of success, not earning, long hard hours, family problems etc.

3. They have worked for years towards a dream to entertain us and offer it up pretty much free if you factor in streaming, Youtube MVs, reality shows.

4. We all know what can happen in extreme cases, mental health problems and even suicide (Sulli)

• For some reason, Korean GP is obsessed with the same crusty OST ballads sung by the same crusty boomers, but when an idol with an amazing voice sings those same ballads, the Korean GP pays them dust. Makes no sense. I read that even Joy's OST is flopping. Hell, even BP's best song from The Album, You Never Know, flopped relative to all the other B sides cause it was a Kpop ballad.

I think people want to see Wendy going out of her shell and do a different concept.

The Korean GP is weird. They hype osts that literally sound like any other ost or like they were sung by a crying man whose teeth hurt pretty bad but pay innovative and well produced osts dust.

• For some reason, Korean GP is obsessed with the same crusty OST ballads sung by the same crusty boomers, but when an idol with an amazing voice sings those same ballads, the Korean GP pays them dust. Makes no sense. I read that even Joy's OST is flopping. Hell, even BP's best song from The Album, You Never Know, flopped relative to all the other B sides cause it was a Kpop ballad.

c'mon now, you don't have to go after their legendary ballad singers

I thought Joy's song gets released next month

• I thought Joy's song gets released next month

She released a prerelease called Je t’aime

External Content open.spotify.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I think people want to see Wendy going out of her shell and do a different concept.

The Korean GP is weird. They hype osts that literally sound like any other ost or like they were sung by a crying man whose teeth hurt pretty bad but pay innovative and well produced osts dust.

Yeah i never understands Korean gp i really thought that Wendy would do good with her debut knowing how Koreans love sobbie songs but apparently they only like them when it's an OST released by unknown artists

• It's Luna all over again. No matter how good you are, skill alone isn't enough to grab people e attention especially if there's nothing really much to get excited for those that aren't aware of your skills in the first place. Wendy hasnt had much activity on her own and as a group RV aren't on pubic TV that much.

Compare with Taeyeon who I still say was a lightning in a bottle for SM, right from the outset she was on TV and radio so the pubic got to know her personality in addition to her top tier singing. Soon just saying Taeyeon is going to release an OST was the hype she needed to carry her early career without having to use the SNSD brand. Wendy, and Luna, simply don't have the name power to help them

• It's Luna all over again. No matter how good you are, skill alone isn't enough to grab people e attention especially if there's nothing really much to get excited for those that aren't aware of your skills in the first place. Wendy hasnt had much activity on her own and as a group RV aren't on pubic TV that much.

Compare with Taeyeon who I still say was a lightning in a bottle for SM, right from the outset she was on TV and radio so the pubic got to know her personality in addition to her top tier singing. Soon just saying Taeyeon is going to release an OST was the hype she needed to carry her early career without having to use the SNSD brand. Wendy, and Luna, simply don't have the name power to help them

no Wendy did much better than Luna if I'm not mistaken her album sales were decent she didn't do as bad.

• no Wendy did much better than Luna if I'm not mistaken her album sales were decent she didn't do as bad.

Sure she did better but she didn't light things up either as some were expecting. Apart from albums which have highly increased over the years she didn't make much a dent in charts and popularity wise she's near the bottom in RV. Other soloists like Mamamoo members, Sumni, Hyuna and recently BP members found success and popularity despite being weaker singers. Same thing happened with Luna hence the comparison.

• I think that people forget how hard it is for solo artists, even more so for idols from idol groups having a solo comeback, to do well on digital charts.

There's only very few who have been able to do so, and even less were able to repeat it.

After Melon did their chart reform last year, it has become even more difficult to do well on that chart.

Add to that the fact that Wendy isn't even the most popular member of the group, but like #4 in popularity in the group.

But her album sales on the other hand are among the best of solo artists, with over 150k in album sales even equaling and surpassing the sales of a lot of top groups.

From what it looks like, Wendy's comments and reactions, she really seemed to enjoy her solo debut and everything related with it, and fans have been happy and enjoying Wendy's debut along with her.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• The answer is rather simple yet a bit hard to swallow: Just like Luna, Wendy doesn't have korean approved visuals and she's also not that charismatic as a person. While she's undoubtly a talented singer, her music so far is pretty boring.

• Sure she did better but she didn't light things up either as some were expecting. Apart from albums which have highly increased over the years she didn't make much a dent in charts and popularity wise she's near the bottom in RV. Other soloists like Mamamoo members, Sumni, Hyuna and recently BP members found success and popularity despite being weaker singers. Same thing happened with Luna hence the comparison.

Except for Hwasa, even Mamamoo members aren't doing that great on the digital chart and same for Sumni especially after Melon's chart reform.

Heck, even top groups have had trouble charting well since last year, let alone individual members.

BP members are more the exception to the rule, but being a member of the current #1 girl group plus YG's long tradition of strong digital charting attraction are two boosters that would give a heavy uplift to any song released by any BP member.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• The answer is rather simple yet a bit hard to swallow: Just like Luna, Wendy doesn't have korean approved visuals and she's also not that charismatic as a person. While she's undoubtly a talented singer, her music so far is pretty boring.

Visuals don't play a role if even popular members of other groups have trouble charting well (aside from the fact that Wendy was recently mentioned as one of the prettiest idols when met live)

Her music might be boring to you, but to a lot of fans as well as non-fans even here on AKP forum really enjoyed her music.

Also, her album sales rivaling those of top groups is enough of a statement of success in itself.

SWJ1P.gif

• Visuals don't play a role if even popular members of other groups have trouble charting well (aside from the fact that Wendy was recently mentioned as one of the prettiest idols when met live)

Her music might be boring to you, but to a lot of fans as well as non-fans even here on AKP forum really enjoyed her music.

Also, her album sales rivaling those of top groups is enough of a statement of success in itself.

I’ve met Wendy IRL and she’s average for idol looks. Yes, she’s cute and stuff but something about her facial muscles gives the appearance of her making a grimace expression.

• Korea was likely most reasons above, not being the most popular, song wasn't that much exciting, releasing around a time that was full with new hits, etc.

International, she did well with her sales but I've seen that her racist scandal was brought back in tiktok, so maybe that avoided some people to stan her plus kpop stans don't really listen ballads

• It's all about marketing y'all. Sm fumbled the bag big time on this one. And I'm not saying giving her a ballad was missing out on the opportunity but missing out to capitalise on the goodwill Wendy had from the public and kpop fans after her accident. Everyone in 2020 was waiting for her,hoping she was alright. Sm should've marketed Wendy's big return with a lot of pomp and show... If I was given to handle her solo, I would've started with a super personal documentary of her journey from the start as a trainee upto the unfortunate accident.

They should've marketed her big return with better pomp and show , better and fancier teasers.. Etc. You have to grab the attention of gp. Like they grabbed the attention of gp for aespa with that kdrama.

• I really enjoyed the entire mini-album personally. Its super chill and has a really serene and wholesome vibe. And to say that she's just average visually....i mean, looks are subjective but i think she's totally pretty and adorable. There's a few music video's like Sappy, Milkshake and Power Up where i find it hard to look at anyone else. Especially Sappy...like, wow...her in that red truck. She's really cute in Oompa as well.

velvet~2.jpg

• I get excited by great vocals and stage presence and she has the best in RV. I suspect some of these work against her: not sexy, not a superb dancer, song style, and willingness to be goofy and act a fool.

Edited 2 times, last by hokiedood ().

• I wouldn't say her solo song was a wrong choice because she was always known to be a powerhouse vocalist and her solo song emphasized that. Knetz praise her vocals a lot.

She just released on a very wrong time where Brave Girls, IU and Rosé were leading the charts. And she just doesn't have the charisma and name that would have helped her solo debut.

Her sales are decent for a newly debuted soloist but sales right now are increasing for almost all of the groups and soloists. And she still had her fan base to make the sales possible.

they never promoted you never know. Bigbang's all songs from made reached the peak of charts because they promoted almost all of their songs. If you, last dance - they promoted these ballads on music shows and some awards. Yg used the same success formula of made in the preparation of blackpink's first solo album - quality over quantity. The only thing they lacked was proper promotions.

• This thread contains 41 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!