Do you think any currently active SM groups have the capability of being as popular as SNSD/EXO?

• Only exo is capable of being exo. Anticipate Don't Fight The Feeling :dancer:

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Official Post

Not with the direction SM is going with NCT and aespa. They seem to be more focused on building up a stable fanbase instead of appealing to the GP.

It really feels like that's the case with a lot of companies.

I don't pay a ton of attention to Korean variety shows, but it feels like there's just not a lot of presence from current idols outside if the ones who are already insanely popular.

I feel like it's much easier and more engaging to make their own content. I think YG doing the variety show for Treasure is a smart move for instance.

• SNSD, nah. They were on in a league of their own

Exo. Likely no but aren't NCT putting up similar album numbers as them? Digitally they are further behind so if they get some public friendly songs here and there they may have a chance?

• Actually Aespa. They have everything necessary to succeed and if their quality music be as consistent as BM than I see them being extremely successful fandom wise and with gp.

I don't know if they will get a SNSD/exo kind of fame, but I do have hope on them and let's be real, Karina it girl since pre debut kkkkk

• SNSD's megasuccess was partially because their variety game was incredibly strong: in an era where K-pop idols were far more present in Korean variety shows and other media and where idols from various different groups helped eachother sharpen their variety skills and elevate their variety game to the next level ( :saint: ), SNSD ruled as variety queens over them all.

Which helped make them the precious beloved girl group of the general public (or like a Korean tourism ad said, 'In Korea, we have Kimchi, makgeolli, and SNSD'). Their combination of group chemistry, energetic charm and sharp variety skills made a unique mix that ruled Koreans' hearts for many years.

So in the same way being as popular as SNSD was? That's really hard to accomplish.

But getting megapopular in their own way? It's all possible with a few megahits under the belt.

Aespa might be able to, if SM doesn't f*ck up in their promoting the group (we know SM will definitely f*ck up... :rolleyes1: )

Red Velvet, if they have another song like comeback like Psycho for its next comeback and SM at its best in promoting.

NCT might be the hardest, boy groups have it harder reaching the general public's hearts and minds in SK - but if they keep growing internationally and score a megahit in SK, and show up in some more variety shows... it could happen.

'No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk.'

SWJ1P.gif

• I don't think a next SNSD is possible, the level of support from gp isn't easy to gain with current marketing/promo strategies from SM. Next RV or fx in terms of success is more likely for aespa, maybe with more physical sales, and I don't think they will debut a new gg soon

Next Exo in terms of physical sales is already done, nct as group and as units are already breaking the big records that H.O.T hold. To get a national hit is difficult and SM isn't looking for one, so nct isn't going to get as high when it comes to digital sales and that's okay, not every group is destined for that

I think the other big companies have the same problem. None of YG bgs reached Bigbang level, none of jype bgs came near 2pm or even 2am level of popularity in Korea, DSP died after ss501 and Kara left, Pentagon and btob never reached BEAST peak, etc because they focused on the international market and promoted them poorly in Korea

• I think Aespa could create a unique milestone with an impact of their own like SNSD and EXO. SM really has to stay on top of the details and not drop the ball when it comes to overall quality for Aespa songs/MVs, CGI, and English lyrics.

• All that paragraph about SNSD :sadr::yesr:

lt64IYu.gif

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!