Among the 5 most digitally successful 3rd gen idol groups, who releases the biggest hits?

• BLACKPINK - 31.45 weeks (346/11)

BTS – 35.21 (845/24)

Mamamoo – 18.14 (381/21)

Red Velvet – 24.43 (342/14)

TWICE – 33.06 (529/16)

Averages ranked from 5 to 1:

5. Mamamoo - 18.14 weeks

4. Red Velvet - 24.43 weeks

3. BLACKPINK - 31.45 weeks

2. TWICE - 33.06 weeks

1. BTS - 35.21 weeks

NOTE: I chose digital singles that were title tracks (double title tracks included), standalone digital singles (Savage Love Remix), or promoted pre-releases (Black Swan, HYLT, Ice Cream, Dingga).

Also the measurement is "weeks in top 100 of Gaon Digital Chart".

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

Edited 4 times, last by MassiveKpopFan ().

• You should divide by the number of title tracks, not the number of title tracks that charted.

Example (the one i instantly noticed) : you counted 18 title tracks for BTS so No more Dream wasn't counted but it was a title track that just didn't chart. BTS fans will probably find the other tracks missing.

This is a really cool stat but you should take everything into account

Edited once, last by motorp77 ().

• Red Velvet Be Natural is missing. I guess you could count SM Station red velvet only songs like Rebirth and Would U too?

This would get 341/14 : 24.36

Mamamoo have 1 billion tracks, i can't count lol

SOngs of Mamamoo i found : Woo Hoo, Peppermint, Don't Be Happy, 1cm, Ahh OOP!, New York, Paint Me, Everyday, Gleam (promotion for glasses but still a digital single that you can buy), Wanna be Myself (same), Memory.

I think i have everything, if you count all of that : 317/24 = 13.21

A lot of those songs are collab btw, but imo its the same as Ice Cream with Selena Gomez.

Edited 6 times, last by motorp77 ().

• You should divide by the number of title tracks, not the number of title tracks that charted.

Example (the one i instantly noticed) : you counted 18 title tracks for BTS so No more Dream wasn't counted but it was a title track that just didn't chart. BTS fans will probably find the other tracks missing.

This is a really cool stat but you should take everything into account

There are no other tracks missing for BTS, it's their only title track that never charted top 100.

Also if I were to do your method, I would have to use only the title tracks, when some of the most successful songs up there were promoted pre-releases (looking at HYLT, Dyna, and Dingga).

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• This is why i was hesitant to make this, Mamamoo has so many pre releases, I'd get tired of doing this. Did Mamamoo release MVs for all of those? I know 1cm does.

No SM stations are on this list.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• There are no other tracks missing for BTS, it's their only title track that never charted top 100.

Also if I were to do your method, I would have to use only the title tracks, when some of the most successful songs up there were promoted pre-releases (looking at HYLT, Dyna, and Dingga).

You should divide by the number of song that comply with your criterias : Title tracks, Heavily promoted track/double title tracks, digital singles and promoted title tracks.

• This is why i was hesitant to make this, Mamamoo has so many pre releases, I'd get tired of doing this. Did Mamamoo release MVs for all of those? I know 1cm does.

No SM stations are on this list.

i only took MMM songs that had MVs, there is at least 7/8 other pre released tracks that don't have mv. I also didn't check if they charted, so it might still be false

• Why twice's Best Thing I Ever Did wasnt counted?

It was branded as the title track for the re-release of Yes or Yes and has a music video. Despite whatever fans wanna call it - a gift song / fan song , it is still technically a title track

• Well looking at your numbers, it shows that BP is the most stable when it comes to releasing hit Songs. This is literally all of their promoted Songs, B-sides not included and the fact that their promotions period where always that short with minimal TV appearance. People literally just had their music, nothing else.

• Why twice's Best Thing I Ever Did wasnt counted?

It was branded as the title track for the re-release of Yes or Yes and has a music video. Despite whatever fans wanna call it - a gift song / fan song , it is still technically a title track

Did it hit the top 100? It was that irrelevant of a comeback

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• Well looking at your numbers, it shows that BP is the most stable when it comes to releasing hit Songs. This is literally all of their promoted Songs, B-sides not included.

it actually shows that BTS is the most stable. They hit big in 2016 and just keep getting back to back hits.

BP's biggest b-side is Forever Young. While no boy group has a b-side on that level, BTS has several b-sides that charted longer than some of the title tracks I used for this thread.

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

Edited once, last by MassiveKpopFan ().

• I think you also missed Just One Day, War of Hormone And Dope for BTS. There were all very promoted and could be considered as leading tracks on their respective albums.

Also What is Come back home ? Just found this track. You should count Film Out and Make It Right no?

If you count NMD, JOD, WOH and Dope : 835/22 = 37.95

No More Dream didn't peak inside the top 100, why would I include it?

None of the songs you mentioned are title tracks. I didn't include promoted b-sides, otherwise Forever Young would up there. They are not singles.

Film Out is a Japanese track, wtf no

Make It Right is a b-side.

Come Back Home? Eh I guess but it charted for all of 1 week

Is he.....you know?

투모로우바이투게더 방탄
    레드벨벳엑소샤이니에이티즈

• it actually shows that BTS is the most stable, if BTS' b-sides were included, their average would likely go up.

BP's biggest b-side is Forever Young. While no boy group has a b-side on that level, BTS has several b-sides that charted longer than some of the title tracks I used for this thread.

Than one of the most stable lol.

Still impressive of BP, like I said almost their whole discography. And among all the acts the least promoted.

• the list is nice, but it does leave out some things such as mentioned before like one of Twice's title track. I mean if Ice Cream is there (0 korean promotions and no different from a japanese language release just that it is english one), and some of the songs that didnt do so well for other artist as well like stay for Bp(6weeks only) and Aya(6weeks) then Im sure since this list shld counts comebacks in general for any song whether it charted well or nt shld be taken into account.

Also bsides arent taken into account even if they did well for Bp Mamamoo and Bts.

Inferrred from the list taken into account the others would most likely be BTS being ahead but Bp and Twice swapping places for 2nd and 3rd. Although both of them have been neck to neck in terms of korean performance in general

Edited once, last by z1 ().

• You should divide by the number of title tracks not the number of title tracks that charted cz it changes a lot how you interpret the numbers :

if its only title tracks that charted this numbers would represent : "How much time *artist* 'title tracks spend in Gaon charts when they do enter the chart ?".

If you consider all title tracks it becomes : "How much time *artist* title tracks spend in Gaon charts ?". The latter stat is much more interesting as it can be used to predict the performance of future releases and evaluate a bigger sample of songs for each artist.

I love you doing those kind of stats, i just think its a little bit too specific

• the groups that create something not just performs

the groups that write & produce their music, the groups that choreograph their dances etc

BTS, SKZ, SVT i can think of

from GGs (G)-Idle, Purple Kiss

I will not speak about BG cause i don't follow them. But if Mamamoo is called Artist it's not only because they write & produce some of their music. They are recognized by their seniors in the industry, their talents are always put forward and their stories are very inspiring, they have broken a lot of barriers to get to where they are today. The only female artist similar to Mamamoo for me is IU but she's a solo artist not a band.

I'm nevies and Purple Kiss stan but no one call them artist. They're far away from Mamamoo statut. Maybe they will reach it later cause they're still young.

• Not including songs that didn't hit the top 100 goes directly against your goal. A title track is a title track. Songs like No More Dream, Merry and Happy, and The Best Thing I Ever Did should be included. Just because a song flopped doesn't mean it shouldn't be included. Otherwise the averages are just skewed. By the way you did it, a song that charted for 1-2 weeks would hurt their groups average more than a song that didn't chart at all, despite both meeting your criteria. Songs that didn't chart should be included, otherwise it's false data.

• You should divide by the number of title tracks not the number of title tracks that charted cz it changes a lot how you interpret the numbers :

if its only title tracks that charted this numbers would represent : "How much time *artist* 'title tracks spend in Gaon charts when they do enter the chart ?".

If you consider all title tracks it becomes : "How much time *artist* title tracks spend in Gaon charts ?". The latter stat is much more interesting as it can be used to predict the performance of future releases and evaluate a bigger sample of songs for each artist.

I love you doing those kind of stats, i just think its a little bit too specific

I agree. How he has it now isn't showing who is the most digitally consistent or releasing the biggest hits if he conveniently leaves out the promoted songs that couldn't even chart a week.
    He's actually hurting the only group on this list that has *actually* charted every promoted song they've released by leaving out the flop songs from the other groups.

• This thread contains 53 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!