Do you prefer a group who sticks to their concept/sound or a group with generally diverse sounds/concepts?

• i mean i don't think they should ever let go of a signature sound that works for them. Sometimes trying new concepts can go wrong but i guess sticking to the same sound also easily produces not so great comebacks.

• A mixture of both but leaning towards diverse, like a 70:30 split for diverse to staying same. I want my faves to try new styles and concepts otherwise it would get boring but I also don't want them to lose their identity eg: they fully commit to anti chorus songs and don't sing anymore despite previously being well known for their singing ability.

• a group who always stick to what they always do quickly become boring and uninterested

and i lose all hype for their comeback because there's no longer this surprise to discover which type of concept or sound they'll choose to go for their new comeback

I think this says more about why your interested in kpop. I have the exact opposite approach. If i stan a group for their music, ofcourse, i'd want them to stay relatively close to their "sound" or brand of music. If your a R&B fan and your alt group randomly switching to country, yeah thats cool and surprising, but its gonna be music you don't like.

Having consistent music i feel is the most important thing for an artist to develop a strong fanbase. The only reason certain kpop groups *cough* *cough* get away with abruptly changing their sound is because most of these girls stan for oppar, and could be sold any music as long as its relatively good quality and oppa is singing it.

• Switch it up. I don't know how people can stand listening to only one type of music, let alone an artist having to only make music/perform one type of sound/concept. Sounds so boring.

Even if you don't like every song, you don't have to. If there's enough variety, there's still a chance you'll like something, which is better than nothing.

N Ξ O C I T Y

EWwNl6R.png

• That's an interesting question.

If you're fan of a rock band it's because you like rock. You don't want them to be doing EDM. If you're a fan of a rapper it's because you like rap. You don't want them to be doing country. If you're fan of an EDM artist it's because you like EDM, you don't want them to be doing ballads.

But in K-pop we have this idea of accepting diversity because we like the artist more than their music. Concept changes are more accepted than for non-K-pop artist. I, for example, didn't like went rock bands like Maroon 5 switched from rock to pop. I didn't like Scandal's last album at first because it wasn't as rocky as before, but in the end I understood the reason why and ended up liking it because of the girls. But I'm not bothered by IU doing fantasy, then jazz, then Korean retro, then pop, then western retro, etc.

I expect K-pop artists to be a bit more diverse since they don't fall under any specific genre. But I like at least some consistency, because there must be something to make me like that artist. For example I always expect to get some nice ballads and breathy vocals from IU, some powerful and clean vocals from Taeyeon, some nice RnB and harmonizations from Red Velvet, some great vocals and upbeat songs from Mamamoo, etc.

I'm not that into a specific concept or sound. As long as they gravitate around genres I like and make good music, I'm fine with it.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!