How did Gangnam Style get one billion views?

• It's literally the first video on YouTube to get at least one billion views. How did PSY accomplish that feat?

~~ :red-heart: QUEEN SUNMI :red-heart: ~~

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Choreo and Parody :cursing:

Which parody? I didn't watch any parodies of Gangnam Style.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• It's literally the first video on YouTube to get at least one billion views. How did PSY accomplish that feat?

Easy the same way BTS did. It was a phenomenon and people caught on and liked it alot. Same reason people can't reproduce Gangnam style or BTS because that's the lightning in a bottle once in a lifetime situations. You have to do a lot of things right but most importantly luck is a big part of it. If this was something easily reproduced you'd see it 24/7 but it isn't.

• Easy the same way BTS did. It was a phenomenon and people caught on and liked it alot. Same reason people can't reproduce Gangnam style or BTS because that's the lightning in a bottle once in a lifetime situations. You have to do a lot of things right but most importantly luck is a big part of it. If this was something easily reproduced you'd see it 24/7 but it isn't.

I like some BTS songs, but I don't stan them.

• Easy the same way BTS did. It was a phenomenon and people caught on and liked it alot. Same reason people can't reproduce Gangnam style or BTS because that's the lightning in a bottle once in a lifetime situations. You have to do a lot of things right but most importantly luck is a big part of it. If this was something easily reproduced you'd see it 24/7 but it isn't.

Gangnam style success was absolutely not similar to how dynamite was. To begin with, Psy never had a fandom.

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• It went super viral around the globe. Got literally everyone and their moms dancing to it. Kpop was never able to re-do the same thing, it was something that even locals, kids and older ppl loved,from everywhere.

Not only kpop, I don't remember any song having the same effect as Gangnam style had ? (like, people who knew nothing about kpop started doing flash mobs out of nowhere, I know that's the whole concept of the song but can't think of something similar)

• Not only kpop, I don't remember any song having the same effect as Gangnam style had ? (like, people who knew nothing about kpop started doing flash mobs out of nowhere, I know that's the whole concept of the song but can't think of something similar)

Most similar thing I can think of is the harlem shake trend because of how viral it was even though that wasn't much about the song.

JCsIq3Q.gif

• People clicked on the video.

Of course.

• Most similar thing I can think of is the harlem shake trend because of how viral it was even though that wasn't much about the song.

It was viral, but Gangnam Style was not viral in AKP enough that it never got a Lexicon entry until I made it.

• It was viral, but Gangnam Style was not viral in AKP enough that it never got a Lexicon entry until I made it.

Gangnam style was the first song to ever get massively viral on youtube and it was mostly thanks to non-kpop listeners than actual kpop fans, so it makes sense. The fact that kpop stans themselves try to compare the phenomenon it was to other songs by very popular groups show they have no idea what they're talking about. I knew about Gangnam Style before I even got into kpop. It used to show all the time on tv not only the original but the parodies, everyone referenced it. In fact, the majority portion of the globe knew more about GS than kpop back in the day.

JCsIq3Q.gif

• Did the lexicon exist already back in 2012 though? :whatb:

Probably. I don't know, but maybe Johnny knows.

Copyright 2007 2024 6Theory Media LLC.png

• Random student in a college dorm:

"Guys! Look at this funny vid, catchy too lol lol"

Students surrounding her:

"LOL, sending this to my mom/grandpa/my former classmate/the dude I dated two years ago"

The dude she dated two years ago in another college dorm:

"Guys! Look at this funny vid, catchy too lol lol"

It spread because and went truly viral because of how funny it was, but its catchiness made people play again and again.

• It spread because and went truly viral because of how funny it was, but its catchiness made people play again and again.

Its catchiness is what made me like it. I don't see how it's funny lol

• Literally this is what happened.

When I was 11 someone in my class made a project talking about Gangnam style.

• Literally this is what happened.

When I was 11 someone in my class made a project talking about Gangnam style.

Was it a science project? A K-Pop project or what I'm asking because I never heard of a "K-Pop project" lol

• it was just a combination of luck and virality imo. The dance really caught on and literally everyone and their mom was doing it. I dont think most people know they were listening to kpop, i didnt at the time.

• it was just a combination of luck and virality imo. The dance really caught on and literally everyone and their mom was doing it. I dont think most people know they were listening to kpop, i didnt at the time.

Is the song still viral?

• I think its due to the silliness of the song and MV. Alot of catchy sounds and lyrics. Alot of exaggerated movements. It might be one of those thing that just went viral because it was time to go viral. Can you imagine how much more viral it would get during this time with Tiktok? It would of been crazyyyy.

Psy never expected it to go viral, because to him, it's just another song. To other people, oh look, a chubby man doing silly things in funny sounding song. He was always playful and so are his songs; Shake It, Right Now, etc. He is a true performer and I think majority of his songs are set for the stage. Westerners might see him as a meme, but his concerts and college performances, SK loves him.

---======---

• People laughed at the asian guy doing a funny dance with a catchy song. It's probably the only Kpop song I have heard on a Swedish club dance floor. (but have not been on many dance floor last couple of years either)

• lmao exactly how it happened, best tbh

• It got played 1b times of course.

It got played 1b times right before Christmas.

Fansamy Were the college students playing the song on their phones?

• He put out the greatest kpop song ever.

• Question, genuine question, were you not around when it dropped?

As far as how it succeeded, people were entertained by how crazy the video was (on purpose to make fun of wealthy people in Gangnam) but people back then also kept the video on loop, before YouTube required you to wait between repeat views like 45 seconds or some ish between plays in order for repeat views to count (they keep changing it).

As far as the song Gangnam style itself, it was his way to be political but without being as in your face about it, (see below for his history with being outspoken) this time critiquing his own country and the part of Seoul he grew up in. He is a part of the Miryang Park clan (Jimin from BTS's family is also an part of it) and even with his well off upbringing he wanted to point out how ridiculous chaebol families usually are and how carelessly they splurge on useless things and act out with no consequences. He specifically included other artists and actors in South Korea who struggled growing up in the MV as an hint of "irony" even. Even further ironic by the fact that he comes from a chaebol family line but was calling out people because he knew no one would do anything to him because his family is well respected and he is a successful artist. Using his family name to flip a bird to all the other wealthy families who mistreated others and acted insane, while also criticizing his own (by the way he did not serve jail time for his military avoidance because of his family and instead was just required to restart his enlistment time). His father, is the executive chairman of DI Corporation, a manufacturing company which is one of the most successful on the Korea Exchange. His mother, owns a bunch of upper class restaurants and bars in Gangnam. So Psy had a deep knowledge of how chaebols worked and acted and I think that is why even though the song and lyrics as well as the MV were ridiculous, they seemed sincere in their depictions of Gangnam.

Micah Forever

Benny's Smoll Bean

zdIfXtP.gif

• This thread contains 9 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!