Is it possible for gg's to surpass born pink sales?

• with sales somehow getting lower with latest comebacks, will it be possible to surpass born pink sales? It's currently 2,913 million.

Why is it getting low tho? I mean not that low, still very good imo, but previous ones were higher

• two reason I could think of:

- china government regulate the spending of cbars

- too many groups debuting making many fans become multifans instead of becoming solo (1 group only) stan.

To raise the Kpop market which already saturated it needs another group to breakout globally it's already 6-7 years after bts/bp first big break so it's already long time ago.

• This spring from March to May the Korean market is overloaded with a lot of releases from top groups plus the BTS soloists plus the strong rookie releases from ILLIT, TWS and BABYMONSTER and plus strong comebacks from TripleS and KISS OF LIFE and also QWER, RESCENE and UNIS have achieved notable successes within their framework.

Last year, Jimin and Jungkook achieved sales figures of over 2 million with their albums, but RM is clearly lagging behind with just over 500 thousand.

Most top groups don't even come close to achieving their personal successes. Only (G)I-DLE have clearly surpassed their personal record and IVE have landed in their range with their new album.

At the moment it is difficult to achieve new top sales values for both girl groups and boy groups.

• Idk maybe because the world currently has serious problems and people couldn't be that bothered to buy kpop albums. Brands etc are getting boycotted left and right and it's no different with kpop idols.

• Idk maybe because the world currently has serious problems and people couldn't be that bothered to buy kpop albums. Brands etc are getting boycotted left and right and it's no different with kpop idols.

When the world never had problems? It’s not because you all discovered activism today that the world started to have problems today.

• When the world never had problems? It’s not because you all discovered activism today that the world started to have problems today.

It's different because it's literally being live streamed. I don't give a flying fxxk anymore about the pinks for example going to fashion weeks for brands that support a genocide. Something has changed for most people the past 7 months. Believe it or not.

I dont think it affected kpop sales that much, it surely did but not massively

• It’s possible but most girl groups are marketed differently than BP. These groups comeback some much and generally don’t have as big a core fanbase to do that

• I see Aespa doing it as long as they are promoted right like I saw BP with the potential to reach such heights even though many didn't.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• with sales somehow getting lower with latest comebacks, will it be possible to surpass born pink sales? It's currently 2,913 million.

Why is it getting low tho? I mean not that low, still very good imo, but previous ones were higher

Of course, it's possible. I heard this about many other groups over the last 15 years or so. The real problem is that most albums are not worth buying. All you get is 2 PC, a photo book, a CD and maybe a poster. BIG4 agencies hardly put any effort into albums anymore. Most of the time it's a nice looking piece of paper, basically.

Not to mention those Poca albums for almost the same price as a limited or normal one. That's why I only buy albums from my biggest faves.

Blackpink is lucky because streaming weren't as massive as now, and older Kpop fans still bought albums. New Kpop groups will rely on kids who only listen to music on streaming platforms, and only a couple of groups can reach 1M sales or more.

• Yeah i meant whole sales, not only hanteo

Why would you take Circle/Gaon over Hanteo though? Isn’t the difference between the two today mostly unsold shipments to stores? Hanteo is actual sales to consumers.

Labels are most probably faking their albums sales using Circles Chart. And YG is pretty questionable with Born Pink 1.8M Hanteo vs 2.9M Circle and Treasure with their latest album 750k Hanteo vs 1.9M Circle. A few years ago when distribution for K-pop albums was bad, a 1M+ difference could be normal but nowadays, it’s pretty rare.

• Yes, but not in the current market. If things get better economically another increase like was seen during/after covid could happen.

But with inflation and interest rates still relatively high not enough fans have enough spare cash to spend on buying multiple album copies.

• This spring from March to May the Korean market is overloaded with a lot of releases from top groups plus the BTS soloists plus the strong rookie releases from ILLIT, TWS and BABYMONSTER and plus strong comebacks from TripleS and KISS OF LIFE and also QWER, RESCENE and UNIS have achieved notable successes within their framework.

Last year, Jimin and Jungkook achieved sales figures of over 2 million with their albums, but RM is clearly lagging behind with just over 500 thousand.

Most top groups don't even come close to achieving their personal successes. Only (G)I-DLE have clearly surpassed their personal record and IVE have landed in their range with their new album.

At the moment it is difficult to achieve new top sales values for both girl groups and boy groups.

I just want to give context about RM's sales. It has more to do with a majority of the fandom on hiatus after they all enlisted. BTS interactions have declined by 60-70% on their posts on official accounts.

RM does what he wants to do so his albums are only geared towards his real fans who will follow no matter what he does.

• Why would you take Circle/Gaon over Hanteo though? Isn’t the difference between the two today mostly unsold shipments to stores? Hanteo is actual sales to consumers.

Labels are most probably faking their albums sales using Circles Chart. And YG is pretty questionable with Born Pink 1.8M Hanteo vs 2.9M Circle and Treasure with their latest album 750k Hanteo vs 1.9M Circle. A few years ago when distribution for K-pop albums was bad, a 1M+ difference could be normal but nowadays, it’s pretty rare.

It’s not unsold. Gaon also tracks shipment returns. So if there was no recorded shipment return, then it’s considered sold.

Not all stores and sales are hanteo tracked. And that’s where the gap comes in.

• Why would you take Circle/Gaon over Hanteo though? Isn’t the difference between the two today mostly unsold shipments to stores? Hanteo is actual sales to consumers.

Basically, it's easy for Kpop Companies to manipulate HANTEO due to the Chart not needing to confirm they have shipped albums to Consumers than it is for them to manipulate Circle where you need proof that Albums have been shipped to Retailers.

So HYBE's "Advance Sales" claim can be used easily for HANTEO but not for Circle.

Edited once, last by jimeous ().

• Basically, it's easy for Kpop Companies to manipulate HANTEO due to the Chart not needing to confirm they have shipped albums to Consumers than it is for them to manipulate Circle where you need proof that Albums have been shipped to Retailers.

So HYBE's "Advance Sales" claim can be used easily for HANTEO but not for Circle.

Isnt Circle basically all shipments including Hanteo?

Hanteo sales = consumers sales for Hybe or any company. Even the advanced sales, like you said, are just advance before becoming real sales to consumers unlike unsold album in stores.

I don’t know another country counting stocks as sales for charts. Kpop stans are ready to count anything for a record.

And yes, if Hybe cheat they should be called out just like SM with Riize or YG with Treasure and BP.

I don’t doubt Hanteo can be faked but from what I understood it’s harder to fake and at least, they are actual sales to consumers not retailers.

Edited 2 times, last by LCJK ().

• It’s not unsold. Gaon also tracks shipment returns. So if there was no recorded shipment return, then it’s considered sold.

Not all stores and sales are hanteo tracked. And that’s where the gap comes in.

From what I read most stores nowadays actually count for Hanteo. I read 85 to 95% depending of the source. That’s the reason why the difference between Hanteo and Circle/Gaon is pretty small today for most albums. And not all stores return unsold albums. They definitely keep a lot of Blackpink and BTS or Stray Kids for example.

You really believe, okay im going to be nice and say 85 and not 95, 85% of the stores sold 1.9M and 15% sold 1M??? Where are those stores?

• This thread contains 14 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!