ADOR seeks US Court assistance against defamatory Youtuber (YT account now gone (AKP users pissed at this))

• Good.

Being overseas shouldn't shield a person from being absolutely defamatory.

Don't @ Newjeans for doing this, instead ask why this isn't more common among different labels. This particular user talks shit about all the relevant groups, but ONLY Girl Groups.

BunniesTaglist

NYT link for subscribers (I'd share access but some of you might try to dox me):

K-Pop Group Asks U.S. Court for Help Finding YouTube User in Defamation Case
    The request by NewJeans is the latest effort by the K-pop industry in its struggle to stem rumors on platforms based outside South Korea.
    www.nytimes.com

• Go to Best Answer
  • I can't read the article, but if all this person did was "talk shit," then they're wasting their time and the court's. You need something much more substantial than that to nail an American, given our lenient free speech laws.

• I can't read the article, but if all this person did was "talk shit," then they're wasting their time and the court's. You need something much more substantial than that to nail an American, given our lenient free speech laws.

They're not suing an American, the YouTuber is Korean

They're just trying to get information about the identity of the YouTuber from Google

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKATHE VOLUNTEERS

ee868cb541261094eb3c49077579820d9d2684ef.gifv259551f29b1b419b0910ccd1ffe7a59b3ca03dbb.gifv9179a574e42e68a00c37635d5151fe4ebba30003.gifv9fbbfdae9fd592cc7858e29f534e290375563da9.gifv

• They're not suing an American, the YouTuber is Korean

They're just trying to get information about the identity of the YouTuber from Google

In that case, I'm assuming Google has already told them "no" if they're going to the courts, presumably because they don't consider the matter important enough to breach the person's privacy.

• And by doing so, Ador is protecting every girl group being attacked on that YouTube channel.

Hopefully Ador continues to set good examples for the rest of HYBE sub-labels to follow suit. Ador clearly cares about protecting NJs image, this is something I see lacking so much in HYBE.

• will this even work in the US. Genuine question.

Cuz like people more powerful and rich than NJ get slandered everyday. the first amendment right to free speech is paramount

Maybe if they’re able to prove loss of income or damages they may have a case but otherwise imo this is near impossible in the US.

• In that case, I'm assuming Google has already told them "no" if they're going to the courts, presumably because they don't consider the matter important enough to breach the person's privacy.

I mean there is precedent with Wonyoung, its going to be hard for a court to depart from that precedent because the situation is basically the same. Korean youtube channel, defamation towards a korean kpop group and wide variety of individual idols and google already gave that info out once.

• I mean there is precedent with Wonyoung, its going to be hard for a court to depart from that precedent because the situation is basically the same. Korean youtube channel, defamation towards a korean kpop group and wide variety of individual idols and google already gave that info out once.

Companies abide by local laws. It’s not a single precedence.

The country sets the precedence first. Sure Google can do something because they are a private entity but if they do this in the US and release people’s info cuz somebody’s feelings got hurt they’re gonna be sued for a lot more than anyone can imagine.

• but if they do this in the US and release people’s info cuz somebody’s feelings got hurt they’re gonna be sued for a lot more than anyone can imagine.

And who exactly could take Google to court and win? :boompepe:

Their fleet of corporate lawyers would crush underfoot anyone foolish enough to try

• Companies abide by local laws. It’s not a single precedence.

The country sets the precedence first. Sure Google can do something because they are a private entity but if they do this in the US and release people’s info cuz somebody’s feelings got hurt they’re gonna be sued for a lot more than anyone can imagine.

But didn't wonyoung do the exact same thing with google for Sojang? Starship went to the California district court to ask google to reveal who Sojang was, the court said yes, they got the ID and sued her. The only difference is Ador is going to the California federal courts, not district but the result should be the same because the base facts haven't changed, its still for the information on a Korean channel and as far as I know, neither have the Korean laws.

• And who exactly could take Google to court and win? :boompepe:

Their fleet of corporate lawyers would crush underfoot anyone foolish enough to try

Disney - I would pay good money to see those two armies of lawyers duke it out. And I bet the house of mouse comes out on top

But also the EU has done this multiple times, if they try to reveal someone from the EU, the ECHR would spank them good. This is a Korean account so should be fine and quick work

• You must not follow the news. lol.

And the government can’t even get companies like Google and Apple to fully give information during criminal investigations let alone defamation claims.

Lets be real, they can't even get them to pay their actual taxes :pepe-shame:

• But didn't wonyoung do the exact same thing with google for Sojang? Starship went to the California district court to ask google to reveal who Sojang was, the court said yes, they got the ID and sued her. The only difference is Ador is going to the California federal courts, not district but the result should be the same because the base facts haven't changed, its still for the information on a Korean channel and as far as I know, neither have the Korean laws.

I’m confused about jurisdiction, is it a Korean Channel based in Korea?

And the government can’t even get companies like Google and Apple to fully give information during criminal investigations let alone defamation claims.

I can confirm I do indeed not keep track of corporate lawsuits. Care to expound?

Disney - I would pay good money to see those two armies of lawyers duke it out. And I bet the house of mouse comes out on top

But also the EU has done this multiple times, if they try to reveal someone from the EU, the ECHR would spank them good. This is a Korean account so should be fine and quick work

Hasn't Disney been taking a lot of Ls and losses lately? I don't know about that one.

Either way, Disney suing Google and some random YouTuber are entirely different ballgames :sweat:

• In that case, I'm assuming Google has already told them "no" if they're going to the courts, presumably because they don't consider the matter important enough to breach the person's privacy.

I believe you normally have to go through the courts to get that information to begin with. Google will never just hand it over

They're doing the same thing Wonyoung did to catch Sojang

ee868cb541261094eb3c49077579820d9d2684ef.gifv259551f29b1b419b0910ccd1ffe7a59b3ca03dbb.gifv9179a574e42e68a00c37635d5151fe4ebba30003.gifv9fbbfdae9fd592cc7858e29f534e290375563da9.gifv

• They're not suing an American, the YouTuber is Korean

If Youtuber is a Korean and the idol is a minor and they said weird things, then it is possible to get the info. This is what happened with Ive.

Korean Defamation laws are different. In Korea if you publicly accuse a rapist of raping you, even if they did, they can sue you for defamation and will win. In Korea its normally a small fine. That Youtuber didn't show up to court, so just got slapped with a massive fine, but is now appealing.

Edited 3 times, last by K-PL ().

• I’m confused about jurisdiction, is it a Korean Channel based in Korea?

That's what they're trying to figure out lol

It's already been done before

"It was a landmark ruling for K-Pop fandoms since Sojang had harmed many idols before, but none of the entertainment agencies could seem to do anything about it. Wonyoung’s lawyer talked about the reason behind this, explaining that finding out the real person behind the YouTube channel was challenging. Initially, they couldn’t file a formal complaint since the YouTuber’s real name or address was hard to find. Since YouTube creators’ identity information is usually saved on Google’s overseas servers, and it is impossible to conduct a search and seizure abroad, filing a complaint even with an investigative agency wouldn’t have worked out.

But Wonyoung’s legal representatives were not stopped by this significant hurdle. They applied to the US court, which has jurisdiction over Google, and successfully obtained an order to access the necessary information. Meanwhile, when Google notified Park about the court order, they deleted the Sojang YouTube channel immediately. Though they issued an apology along with the removal of the channel, Starship Entertainment and Wonyoung pushed forward with their civil and criminal lawsuits against the YouTuber."

"Apple shared customer data with US government in a record-high 90% of cases"

Apple shared customer data with US government in a record-high 90% of cases, even as Trump administration complains it's not doing enough
    Apple is largely responsive to government requests for customer data, undercutting the Trump administration's efforts to paint it as uncooperative.
    www.businessinsider.com

"U.S. government requests for Google user data up 510% since 2010"

U.S. government requests for Google user data up 510% since 2010, report says
    The U.S. government has made more than 163,000 user data requests in 2019 alone.
    mashable.com

• What yt channel is this even? I knew of sojang bc girl was everywhere, like my god

Is this like an account outside Korea?

it would have to be a korean youtuber since Korea's draconian defamation law has no legal standing outside of it's borders.

• NewJeans-agency-ADOR-asks-US-Federal-Court-to-reveal-identity-of-YouTuber-who-is-spreading-defamatory-statements-about-them-1.jpg

I guess this pretty much confirms the account owner is located in Korea because a defamation lawsuit based on "name calling and other mocking behavior" would get laughed out of a US court.

• Koreans consider saying someone is untalented as defamation, while the US considers it defamation if you say the person has an STD and you can’t prove it.

I have no idea what the person said about Wonyoung, but unless it was seriously damaging, the person can easily win by asking for a jury trial. Most Americans would probably roll their eyes at things that seem to offend Koreans.

• Koreans consider saying someone is untalented as defamation, while the US considers it defamation if you say the person has an STD and you can’t prove it.

I have no idea what the person said about Wonyoung, but unless it was seriously damaging, the person can easily win by asking for a jury trial. Most Americans would probably roll their eyes at things that seem to offend Koreans.

Discovery, in the law of common law jurisdictions, is a phase of pretrial procedure in a lawsuit in which each party, through the law of civil procedure, can obtain evidence from other parties by means of methods of discovery such as interrogatories, requests for production of documents.

Oh my baby sweet like bubble gum!

16a5ad82f46a76cf3cdeb18fe28d7be0a6d0a66f.gifv

• Discovery, in the law of common law jurisdictions, is a phase of pretrial procedure in a lawsuit in which each party, through the law of civil procedure, can obtain evidence from other parties by means of methods of discovery such as interrogatories, requests for production of documents.

I know what discovery is.

• NewJeans-agency-ADOR-asks-US-Federal-Court-to-reveal-identity-of-YouTuber-who-is-spreading-defamatory-statements-about-them-1.jpg

I guess this pretty much confirms the account owner is located in Korea because a defamation lawsuit based on "name calling and other mocking behavior" would get laughed out of a US court.

I think that's a bad approach, they should have said defamation of a minor, not a brand.

But then again, we're not privy to any of actual legal documents.

• This thread contains 81 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!