Taeyeon explains the reason she doesn't go on music shows

• It boils down to her not agreeing with music show system

External Content x.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Recording for 12+ hours is exhausting. I feel like this is probably why less sneior idols go on music shows (exo lazy bums).

• I'm glad she's speaking up against Music Shows, and she only mentioned the tip of the iceberg, honestly. Many people, for obvious reason, don't why it's hard to sing live early in the morning. You can literally ruin your entire career without proper preparation. Senior singers like Taeyeon, IU, EXO and many others can't do that. Sadly, rookies doesn't have a say in this, and some groups or soloists from smaller agencies either. They need PR.

The whole Music Show system is messed up. Most Kpop artists just wasting their time, because everyone knows that mainstream groups or soloist will win. Only new Kpop fans care about Music Shows now. Back in the day it was fun, nowadays, it's just about who has the crazier fandom to pay millions on voting.

• it does make sense I hope more senior idols can do performances outside music shows

I prefer concerts and live performances like she did during INVU era

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I like content like this

• Honestly, if I were at the point in my career that Taeyeon is at, you couldn't pay me to do music show promotions. Let the kids get the spotlight there.

I would definitely have some "I'm too old for this" energy and just prefer to deliver my content to my long time fans in my own style.

Love this tidbit from Taeyeon. If anyone is qualified to say this, it's her.

• I'm glad she's speaking up against Music Shows, and she only mentioned the tip of the iceberg, honestly. Many people, for obvious reason, don't why it's hard to sing live early in the morning. You can literally ruin your entire career without proper preparation. Senior singers like Taeyeon, IU, EXO and many others can't do that. Sadly, rookies doesn't have a say in this, and some groups or soloists from smaller agencies either. They need PR.

The whole Music Show system is messed up. Most Kpop artists just wasting their time, because everyone knows that mainstream groups or soloist will win. Only new Kpop fans care about Music Shows now. Back in the day it was fun, nowadays, it's just about who has the crazier fandom to pay millions on voting.

I disagree with wasting time part. Music shows are excellent opportunity for idols to promote their work and go viral.

I just think things could be done differently.

• I disagree with wasting time part. Music shows are excellent opportunity for idols to promote their work and go viral.

I just think things could be done differently.

I was talking about seniors, not rookies. Music Shows can only help them or small agency groups, soloists. But nowadays, it doesn't really affect charting, streaming or album sales. Especially if they come from a small agency.

For example. Moonbyul performed for 1 month in every Music Show promoting her new album, but she didn't chart anywhere or had better numbers on streaming platforms. I could mention Young Posse, a new group. Le Sserafim had their chance and win a lot of shows, but people only mention their lazy performance. So, I don't think these shows helping anyone.

BTW, BoA said she's going to perform and promote her new Single at Music Shows. Now, that's weird because she usually doesn't do that, and she's a huge name in Korea already.

• I was talking about seniors, not rookies. Music Shows can only help them or small agency groups, soloists. But nowadays, it doesn't really affect charting, streaming or album sales. Especially if they come from a small agency.

For example. Moonbyul performed for 1 month in every Music Show promoting her new album, but she didn't chart anywhere or had better numbers on streaming platforms. I could mention Young Posse, a new group. Le Sserafim had their chance and win a lot of shows, but people only mention their lazy performance. So, I don't think these shows helping anyone.

BTW, BoA said she's going to perform and promote her new Single at Music Shows. Now, that's weird because she usually doesn't do that, and she's a huge name in Korea already.

For example music shows elevated Naeyeon success woth Pop (it was combo of tiktok + music show promotios). I don't think Monbyul is right idol to make example of, as of right now I don't think she has what is needed to go viral, unlike Hwasa for example.

Also... BoA regularly promotes on music shows wdym? ;(

Even in her case music shows helped her a lot during Woman era for example. That beginning part of song and choreo went viral back then.

Like in every case, music shows won't help EVERYONE but it is opportunity worth chasing.

• Most Kpop artists just wasting their time, because everyone knows that mainstream groups or soloist will win.

While I don't necessarily disagree with the time-wasting aspect, lesser-known artists have indeed won on music shows. Some examples from the past year or so: Tempest, Evnne, Oneus, BoyNextDoor.

• I don't think Idols like Hwasa really need Music Shows to become viral. Moonbyul were always and still underrated because most people think she's "just a rapper". I think this is all about music. Idols can gain more attention if their songs are, how to say this, sounds like a mainstream pop from a big company group. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think I've ever seen a small group or soloist gaining much attention after a Music Show. Especially if they were versatile and different. Maybe if they more like a mainstream group.

Honestly, I don't remember when was the last time I saw BoA on a Music Show. The Woman era was in 2018. Her latest EP was released in 2022, I don't remember if she promoted that on a Music Show. To be fair, I don't watch Music Shows that much anymore. I only see some short clips or pictures online.

• While I don't necessarily disagree with the time-wasting aspect, lesser-known artists have indeed won on music shows. Some examples from the past year or so: Tempest, Evnne, Oneus, BoyNextDoor.

That's true, but I think they represent the 1%. For boy groups it's even harder I think, because nowadays, it's all about girl groups, honestly.

• For boy groups it's even harder I think, because nowadays, it's all about girl groups, honestly.

I know it seems like that's the case, since girl groups tend to get talked about more, but in 2023, boy groups actually won more on music shows:

279618-musicshowwinsbytype2023-png

I actually have a whole thread that breaks this down. See here.

• I prefer concerts and live performances like she did during INVU era

I like content like this

me too!

• It boils down to her not agreeing with music show system

External Content x.com

Recording for 12+ hours is exhausting. I feel like this is probably why less sneior idols go on music shows (exo lazy bums).

People with longer careers feel awkward to be with younger acts who barely know them so they just skip music shows

• "We have to sing early in the morning."

No, you have to lip sync early in the morning. ^^ I also found it odd that she talks about delivering other sorts of content when she really didn't deliver any on her last comeback, which felt like it wasn't promoted at all. Music shows should definitely change how they work, but she's basically the only person who gives off a "I'm too good for music shows" vibe, even though she started doing them again for a while (SM probably made her.)

• Good for her, all music shows are rigged these days.

Music show wins are irrelevant after you win your first one.

All the most famous singers like Pys don't bother going. Senior artists might just do the minimum, like Twice only did 4 consecutive days.

• Music show wins are irrelevant after you win your first one.

All the most famous singers like Pys don't bother going. Senior artists might just do the minimum, like Twice only did 4 consecutive days.

Twice only promoted for one week because JYP made them waste a week doing practically nothing in the US. Otherwise they always promote for two weeks.

• there other way to promote tho, so many live yt shows now

or music festival (like maybe its the same base but at least u perform for a big live audience and can sing multiple songs)

• "We have to sing early in the morning."

No, you have to lip sync early in the morning. ^^ I also found it odd that she talks about delivering other sorts of content when she really didn't deliver any on her last comeback, which felt like it wasn't promoted at all. Music shows should definitely change how they work, but she's basically the only person who gives off a "I'm too good for music shows" vibe, even though she started doing them again for a while (SM probably made her.)

No, they have to wake up at 2am, go to salons, go to music show at 5am, greet fans and journalists, have 2 to 3 rehearsals, perform, wait for the winner, greet all producers and repeat. This type of schedule is exhausting.

Snsd and Taeyeon are kind of group who had car accident and then run all the way to make it in time to perform for music show. She is kind of idol who did her due, I am not sure why it is so strange she wants to take it slow now, in no way she gave "I am too good for music show" vibe, I think this is your personal feelings speaking.

Ether way it is good idols are speaking up for change. I think some outdated practices in kpop should be changed and thay change could result in better content overall.

• All the most famous singers like Pys don't bother going.

While I don't disagree with your notion that senior artists attend less frequently, Psy did indeed promote his last major release ("That That") on music shows.

• Music show wins are irrelevant after you win your first one.

Music shows wins are irrelevant but promotions music shows offer are relevant lol

PSY and Twice stil promoted on music shows. Do they go less frequently? Yes, but they still promote.

• No, they have to wake up at 2am, go to salons, go to music show at 5am, greet fans and journalists, have 2 to 3 rehearsals, perform, wait for the winner, greet all producers and repeat. This type of schedule is exhausting.

Snsd and Taeyeon are kind of group who had car accident and then run all the way to make it in time to perform for music show. She is kind of idol who did her due, I am not sure why it is so strange she wants to take it slow now, in no way she gave "I am too good for music show" vibe, I think this is your personal feelings speaking.

Ether way it is good idols are speaking up for change. I think some outdated practices in kpop should be changed and thay change could result in better content overall.

I already said music shows should change how they work. But it's an objective fact that she thinks she's above doing them. Most of her solo releases have not been promoted on music shows. She's the only person I can think of who's refused to promote so many times. It has nothing to do with my personal feelings, but hers.

• Taeyeon is soon 17 years into her career. She's been working her ass off as an idol and gaining respect as a singer since she was a teenager. It is VERY ok that she doesn't want to unnecessarily tire herself and her voice performing in music shows anymore lol. Nothing wrong with it. And she clearly doesn't need the promo anyway as people tune in for her music and singing regardless.

If anyone wants to see her perform, there's a nice live performance of To.X on her Youtube, as well as lives of Fabulous and All For Nothing. She also performed at SMTOWN which you can find in good quality.

She clearly prefers to sing her songs other places than music shows, and also seem to enjoy working as a main cast member of Amazing Saturday weekly. So I am glad that at this point in the career that she worked hard for can do more as she pleases.

• I already said music shows should change how they work. But it's an objective fact that she thinks she's above doing them. Most of her solo releases have not been promoted on music shows. She's the only person I can think of who's refused to promote so many times. It has nothing to do with my personal feelings, but hers.

She doesn't think she is too good for them, she just doesn't want to do them because it is exhausting for her. Simple.

• She doesn't think she is too good for them, she just doesn't want to do them because it is exhausting for her. Simple.

In other words, she doesn't want to have to do the same "exhausting" tasks as literally everyone else in her line of work. We're saying the same thing, because that's the only conclusion one can logically reach, you just insist on putting a more positive spin on it.

• In other words, she doesn't want to have to do the same "exhausting" tasks as literally everyone else in her line of work. We're saying the same thing, because that's the only conclusion one can logically reach, you just insist on putting a more positive spin on it.

" you just insist on putting a more positive spin on it." while u just insist on putting a more NEGATIVE spin on it which is far from what Taeyeon meant in her statement ... it shows your poor choice of wording, twisting or your personal feelings. it is one of the three

• " you just insist on putting a more positive spin on it." while u just insist on putting a more NEGATIVE spin on it which is far from what Taeyeon meant in her statement ... it shows your poor choice of wording, twisting or your personal feelings. it is one of the three

I know exactly what she meant -- she was making an excuse for her own laziness. I'm just putting the more reasonable spin on it. I tried not using the "L" word, but y'all forced my hand. She's being lazy, refusing to do the same work as everyone else with her job. No other way around it. Sorry if the truth of the matter offends you. I'd also like to remind everyone that she's 35, not 70. Music shows being "exhausting" is not a valid excuse for not putting in the work.

• Yeah it’s been known for a while that she simply doesn’t like the ordeal of music shows. Get up early, hair and make up, go to studio, sit in there in for hours to only record your part for a few mins, stick around till end for winner and that’s it. It a lot hassle.

It obviously helps younger idols to get their name out there but for someone like Taeyeon who is a household name that can chart on her name alone it doesn’t benefit her much at all so why go through all that? Plus she’s mentioned before because of the long hours she gets bored doing nothing and expressed she feels lonely without her members so she might be more willing to do music shows if it was with SNSD - we saw how bright and happy she was during Forever 1 promo

• I know exactly what she meant -- she was making an excuse for her own laziness. I'm just putting the more reasonable spin on it. I tried not using the "L" word, but y'all forced my hand. She's being lazy, refusing to do the same work as everyone else with her job. No other way around it. Sorry if the truth of the matter offends you. I'd also like to remind everyone that she's 35, not 70. Music shows being "exhausting" is not a valid excuse for not putting in the work.

Who’s tf you are to call an idol lazy because she doesn’t want to promote on music shows as if it’s mandatory. You don’t know even know what you’re talking about.

• I know exactly what she meant -- she was making an excuse for her own laziness. I'm just putting the more reasonable spin on it. I tried not using the "L" word, but y'all forced my hand. She's being lazy, refusing to do the same work as everyone else with her job. No other way around it. Sorry if the truth of the matter offends you. I'd also like to remind everyone that she's 35, not 70. Music shows being "exhausting" is not a valid excuse for not putting in the work.

Bro, 35 is 70 in Kpop lol, there are no other 35 year old idols still making regular comebacks in music. If IU is 1343 years old as Whyknock says, Tae is 1347 at least.

• Who’s tf you are to call an idol lazy because she doesn’t want to promote on music shows as if it’s mandatory. You don’t know even know what you’re talking about.

I'm me, and I'm calling her lazy. Because she is. The fact that it isn't "mandatory" for her doesn't make her any less lazy to not put in the same work as everyone else. Would you ever tell your boss, "I don't NEED to do this so I'm not doing it?" Because that's a great way to end up unemployed.

Bro, 35 is 70 in Kpop lol, there are no other 35 year old idols still making regular comebacks in music. If IU is 1343 years old as Whyknock says, Tae is 1347 at least.

Irene just turned 33. She still promotes every comeback. Somehow I doubt 2 years is making much of a difference. :/ Not to mention Taeyeon wasn't even promoting most of her early solo releases, which were like 5-6 years ago.

• This thread contains 8 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!