who is bigger in the west : Newjeans vs TWICE

• which one 89

1. TWICE (50) 56%
    2. NewJeans (39) 44%

Twice is one of the strongest touring korean act in west along with BTS and Blackpink. They also have been performing on many shows and have multiple english release.

Newjeans have great charting stats there and have multiples billboard entry with their discography & included as one of the festival lineup.

who do you think is bigger in the west between these 2 group?

• Without thinking too hard about it, NewJeans.

Unless all you care about is touring, but that's an indication of fandom size moreso than general popularity in a country.

The people who add NewJeans to their playlist, watch them on New Year's Eve or streamed their songs enough to put a record 5 songs on the Billboard Hot 100 aren't necessarily the same people who would go to a concert.

Numbers wise, NewJeans are neck and neck with BlackPink, even surpassing them in some categories. Twice isn't really competitive with either at all in the West. Their latest comeback isn't even pulling better numbers than LSF.

So again it comes down to touring.... and that's about it.

• Newjeans Songs are much bigger and more known.

But I would say as Artists it's still TWICE, but It will change fast in the next few years. (if Newjeans won't have any scandals that will have a huge impact on their Career)

• I'm going to assume Twice is more popular since they've been in the industry for nearly a decade, amassing an exponential fanbase.

But, keep in mind I don't follow KPOP news.

If it's fanbase, it's ludicrous to think NewJeans has surpassed Twice

But in terms of general popularity in the West, NewJeans is more popular than Twice.

I think this is the simple truth of the comparison, and any numbers you look up will support it

• They are both niche.

But Twice can sell out arenas and stadiums, we will see about NJ

All kpop outside BTS and maybe BP is niche.

• streams are nice but you need to be able to hold concerts and they sell out stadiums so at the moment it's twice.

also not everyone that goes to concerts are dedicated fans many are casual fans too for those saying that only dedicated fans go to their concerts so that for me indicates there is still a high demand for twice.

• Not sure what you mean exactly with "bigger". NJ is without any doubt more popular, their songs are more succesful and they're becoming more known in general. Twice have a bigger fanbase, mainly because that's something you build being succesful for a long time and Twice is in the 9th year of their career. We can discuss what is more relevant since bigger fandom leads to being able to hold big tours which is more profitable (NJ is likely to be able to do it eventually too though, that's why I find dumb when people compare their current touring power), but talking about popularity, it's NJ. And honestly, it is pretty obvious.

• it's like comparing Foo Fighters to Olivia Rodrigo:

one has a solid legacy and a very long career, so fans will want to see thewm live and buy their albums even if they don't generate headlines or top singles charts anymore

NJ are closer to Rodrigo, where they have lots of buzz and acclaim, get invited to huge events rn but need to solidify their legacy

Therefore, there are arguments to either being "bigger" than the other

• Fans >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Casual listeners

But you don't think too hard, so I don't actually expect you to realize that. ;-)

• Fans >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Casual listeners

But you don't think too hard, so I don't actually expect you to realize that. ;-)

By that logic, Twice has never been the most popular group in K-Pop, since their album sales always paled in comparison to EXO and BTS.

Can't have your cake and eat it.

Plus, this isn't about what metrics bring in the most money, but about who is the most popular in the West. Every single relevant metric screams NewJeans.

• By that logic, Twice has never been the most popular group in K-Pop, since their album sales always paled in comparison to EXO and BTS.

Can't have your cake and eat it.

Plus, this isn't about what metrics bring in the most money, but about who is the most popular in the West. Every single relevant metric screams NewJeans.

What you just said has absolutely no correlation to "my logic," you just pulled it out of thin air. :rolleyes: You're being selective and ignoring any metric that doesn't tell you what you want to hear. You know as well as I do that Twice have lost popularity in Korea mainly because they've lost their CASUAL LISTENERS there, yet you still think that's going to be enough to prop up NewJeans in the west compared to a group with proven fan support. No beuno. You can't have your cake, because I'm eating it.

TWICEONESPARK.jpg

• We saw NewJeans literally get two stages during Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin Eve, to close out a year where they were treated like a headline act by the crowd at Lollapalooza as the first girl group ever to perform there, and outsold the Barbie OST while putting 5 songs on the Billboard Hot 100 and having the second biggest year on Spotify by any girl group in history.

This really isn't close :pepe-joy:

• What you just said has absolutely no correlation to "my logic," you just pulled it out of thin air. :rolleyes: You're being selective and ignoring any metric that doesn't tell you what you want to hear. You know as well as I do that Twice have lost popularity in Korea mainly because they've lost their CASUAL LISTENERS there, yet you still think that's going to be enough to prop up NewJeans in the west compared to a group with proven fan support. No beuno. You can't have your cake, because I'm eating it.

TWICEONESPARK.jpg

The cope is strong in this one.

I don't have to ignore any metric. Other than touring, which measures FANDOM, literally ALL the metrics favor NewJeans by a mile.

What do you want?

Album Units sold?

Spotify streams?

Billboard Hot 100 entries?

Most weeks in Billboard Hot 100?

#1 on Billboard 200?

Most weeks in Billboard 200?

I can't think of a single metric that makes Twice look remotely close to NewJeans in overall popularity.

First girl group to perform at Lollapalooza

First girl group to perform at the BBMAs

First girl group to perform at Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve

The list goes on.

You're comparing a group, Twice, who peaked at 83 on the Hot 100 and lasted 2 weeks, to a group, NewJeans, who peaked at 48 and lasted 8 weeks with just one of their songs.

NewJeans is chasing down or surpassing BlackPink numbers in America.

They already have the most Hot 100 entries in a single year in girl group history, tied BlackPink for most weeks in the Hot 100, tied BlackPink for most weeks on the Billboard 200, and we're just behind BlackPink in total Spotify streams for the year, several billion.

The only thing you can prove is that Twice has more fans, built up over a decade, who will pay to see them in concert. That doesn't equate to being the most popular in the country, or girl groups have never in history been comparable in popularity to boy groups.

You can eat your cake if you want, but it's stale.

Stop living in denial. Twice's most recent comeback made it painfully obvious they're not in the same tier.

Their Spotify streams can't even keep pace with Le Sserafim, and their potential #1 on the Billboard 200 would be accomplished with roughly 90-105k units first week.

Get Up did 126.5k.

One girl group is trending up, despite their ridiculous numbers. The other, never peaked as high and their most recent comeback indicate a downward trend.

I don't know why you picked a fight with me, when there are zero facts or logic on your side. I was content to let things be.

• 9ea.gif

• TWICE earns their first ever #1 album on the Billboard 200 chart with 'With YOU-th'.

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• This thread contains 32 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!