Seeing 5th generation records posts on twitter is kinda hilarious

• its so empty that its funny

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Not much different from third and fourth gen really

It took years before fourth gen started to have any real relevance on the charts.

• Dont forget the "first 5th gen group to enter Melon Top 100" or some shit like that.

4th Gen getting PAKs while "5th Gen" getting POK - Perfect Out Kills

:pepe-cringe:

POKs - this is so hilarious :boompepe:

⋆.ೃ࿔*:・。 ゚ ꒰ঌ 🪼✦🌊໒꒱ ༘*.゚⋆。 I just wanna continue my pace ⋆.ೃ࿔*:・。 ゚ ꒰ঌ 🪼✦🌊໒꒱ ༘*.゚⋆。

• Not much different from third and fourth gen really

It took years before fourth gen started to have any real relevance on the charts.

I'm not saying that it isn't wrong but because it did take a while for 4th Gen to dominate now, but at the second half of 2018,

(G)I-DLE and IZ*ONE charted pretty ok with their debut, definitely not like this "5th gen" that enter Melon 100 and drop out in the next few hours

IZ*ONE physical sales were crazy high for a 4th Gen debut like the numbers they we doing for physical sales were unheard of for a new group

And I don't think we need to really say much about Dalla Dalla for first half of 2019, we all know how big that song is.

Sure right now it is dominated by 4th Gen, but when 4th Gen started they were already making noise, while the current "so called 5th Gen" aren't doing anything special, except trying to mediaplay themselves as 5th gen, and fighting for the 5th gen titles of being the first group to enter Melon 100 for 2 hours, because they are unable to compete with the current 4th Gen giants.

• Dont forget the "first 5th gen group to enter Melon Top 100" or some shit like that.

4th Gen getting PAKs while "5th Gen" getting POK - Perfect Out Kills

:pepe-cringe:

What about "First 5th gen Girlgroup to sell more than 200,00k albums" or something like that.

I really don't think 5th gen has started. I wasn't into K-Pop when 3rd to 4th gen transition happened, but usually, doesn't there have to be a kinda new feeling? Like, a new approach to concept and everything? But the new groups debuting don't actually feel that refreshing

⋆.ೃ࿔*:・。 ゚ ꒰ঌ 🪼✦🌊໒꒱ ༘*.゚⋆。 I just wanna continue my pace ⋆.ೃ࿔*:・。 ゚ ꒰ঌ 🪼✦🌊໒꒱ ༘*.゚⋆。

• What about "First 5th gen Girlgroup to sell more than 200,00k albums" or something like that.

I really don't think 5th gen has started. I wasn't into K-Pop when 3rd to 4th gen transition happened, but usually, doesn't there have to be a kinda new feeling? Like, a new approach to concept and everything? But the new groups debuting don't actually feel that refreshing

Personally from what I see it, Produce 48 started it.

Produce 48 happened in 2018, and started with IZ*ONE. (G)I-DLE happened to debut in 2018, so they were lumped together. This all happened in the second half of 2018.

Then at 2019, ITZY happened, and all the Produce contestants that didn't make it to IZ*ONE, debut in their respective companies. Cherry Bullet, Everglow, Rocket Punch etc etc. Those groups I think we can agree that they feel vastly different from Twice/BP/RV/Mamamoo/Gfriend.

Right now it seems like MNET is trying to do the same, with ZB1 with Boys Planet, and everyone is trying to ride onto that same mediaplay.

For me at least for now, it doesn't feel like any of the 2023 debuts are any different from the current 4th Gen groups. Like Girls Planet Kep1er and Boys Planet ZB1 feels the same gen to me, they don't feel different.

Maybe when Girls Planet 2 (if it happens) comes out then maybe that might feel different

• Yep, Izone peaked in the top 22 for every single including two songs in the top 10, they were always well regarded in GP. They were basically the Stayc of 2018-2020, in fact, it was right after Izone disbanded that Stayc hit the top 10 with ASAP for the first time.

Idle also did damn amazing i think all of their singles peaked in top 20 except for Uh OH, with several in the top 10 like Hwaa. This was before Tomboy too.

Add in Itzy who peaked in the top 20 for their first five hits.

Izone, Itzy and Idle truly paved the way for NJ, Ive, Aespa, LSRFM, and in Ive and LSRFM's case, Izone literally was their mother lol.

• That is how 3rd Gen stans felt in 2019 with all the 4th generation 'records'

• That is how 3rd Gen stans felt in 2019 with all the 4th generation 'records'

The main difference is that last time it was "first 4th gen group to do this", but now it's "first girl group to do this", like the 4th gen girlies are actually breaking previous generation records, not creating their own made up records.

And from the past few threads in this forum the past few days, we can already see some 3rd gen stans being bitter about it, saying how "it is way easier now than before" and using it as a defense because they are on some strong copium

;judgingpepe:;judgingpepe:

• Because 5th gen isn’t real, fans want to push it hard so they would have a new toy to brag about

Not much different from third and fourth gen really

You guys love to downplay 4th gen achievements, when 4th gen groups were debuting they were hitting it big from the get go they just weren’t breaking records yet for example G-idle debut made it to number 1 on melon and they were one of the fastest rookies to win on music shows and their song went viral, and I don’t need to talk about Itzy Dalla Dalla, when all those 4gen groups debuted they were making an impact not charting at number 100 on melon and having 50k sales and calling it achievements

• Nah. I'm not with the "it happened to 4th gen too" narrative. I've been deep in this K-Pop rabbit hole since the transition from 2nd gen to 3rd gen. I've never seen such a sad start to the supposed next gen.

Back then the new kids on the block all at least charted and made significant noise.

The 4th gen groups just weren't competitive with the incumbent top groups right away, but there is a galaxy sized difference between that and celebrating spending two hours on the real time Melon charts like people are doing with 5th gen :pepe-joy:

• The main difference is that last time it was "first 4th gen group to do this",

;judgingpepe:;judgingpepe:

Isn't this just a version of that, 'first 5th gen group to do this'

but now it's "first girl group to do this", like the 4th gen girlies are actually breaking previous generation records, not creating their own made up records.

Sure, but 4th gen started in 2018 [allegedly] they did not start breaking records of 3rd gen groups until 2021/2022.

And from the past few threads in this forum the past few days, we can already see some 3rd gen stans being bitter about it, saying how "it is way easier now than before" and using it as a defense because they are on some strong copium

This happens all the time, 2nd Generation will point out that YouTube was not a big thing back in their day, so all those 3rd Gen records are meaningless, 3rd Gen fans will make similar arguments, in 2026/2027 4th gen fans will make similar arguments about something. Everyone finds a way to cope.

• Nah. I'm not with the "it happened to 4th gen too" narrative. I've been deep in this K-Pop rabbit hole since the transition from 2nd gen to 3rd gen. I've never seen such a sad start to the supposed next gen.

Back then the new kids on the block all at least charted and made significant noise.

The 4th gen groups just weren't competitive with the incumbent top groups right away, but there is a galaxy sized difference between that and celebrating spending two hours on the real time Melon charts like people are doing with 5th gen :pepe-joy:

ZeroBasezone (or what ever they are called) are doing better than most top 4th gen boygroups [specially sales].

Babaymoster is doing well internationally [spotify and YouTube], but shitty in Korean charts

So is not all just made up records.

BTW, I think 4th Generation started too early and 5th Generation is also starting way too early, but Media play is powerful.

• Yeah but they started strong, unlike these so called "5th Gen" groups that are not even charting

Not 4th gen boy groups.

4th gen GGs started strong with G-idle, Itzy and IZ*one.

But 4th gen BGs were not as strong.

"5th Gen" there is one strong BG (domestically), and a strong International GG (that does not chart domestically)

• Because 5th gen isn’t real, fans want to push it hard so they would have a new toy to brag about

You guys love to downplay 4th gen achievements, when 4th gen groups were debuting they were hitting it big from the get go they just weren’t breaking records yet for example G-idle debut made it to number 1 on melon and they were one of the fastest rookies to win on music shows and their song went viral, and I don’t need to talk about Itzy Dalla Dalla, when all those 4gen groups debuted they were making an impact not charting at number 100 on melon and having 50k sales and calling it achievements

Gidle didnt have an #1 hit in korea until 2020, two years after their debut

Dalla dalla was released in 2020, two years after the start of 4th gen

And for overall charting, it was much easier pre 2021 to get songs into top 100 than today when realtime charts were still a thing and songs could be pushed to the top by 20k uls/hour by small fandoms

i dont care about any generation rivalry bullshit or what have you, the same is true for the third gen and 2nd gen as well, theres always a transisition period before the next gen has taken over or can really compete with previous gen. So it seems abit silly to me to give fith gen shit for something when previous gen lacked as much compared to their previous gen at the start

Just look at all the poss that are still prefixed with something like*best 4th gen idol group, *best 4th gen girl group member ", "IT girl of 4th gen" etc, its there because if they are ranked with previous gen they are not at the top. A few more years and they likely will be, but it shows how long it can take for one generation to get completly out of the shadow of its previous generation.

Compare generations 3-4 years in instead and it would be more interesting.

If the old forums were still available you could find the exact same posts as this op ridiculing 4th and third gen for the same thing.

• I'm genuinely curious what you're looking at to reach the conclusion people are being hypocritical in how they're treating the alleged "5th gen" groups.

I looked at the year-end digital charts out of curiosity. You said 4th gen started in 2018, so I looked at (G)I-DLE's debut track.

Screenshot 2023-12-05 024701

It charted in the top 100 year-end charts on Gaon/Circle.

Then I looked at the next big 4th gen group's debut. Itzy in 2019.

Screenshot 2023-12-05 024845

That's a pretty powerful introduction to the K-Pop universe in my book.

But then you said it was much easier to get songs in the top 100 back then, so I jumped to what will presumably be known as the tail-end of 4th gen and looked at their chart debuts.

IVE:

Screenshot 2023-12-05 025034

LE SSERAFIM:

Screenshot 2023-12-05 025150

NewJeans:

Screenshot 2023-12-05 025231

Most of the groups we consider the Crème de la crème of the 4th gen had debuts that ranged from very respectable to stellar. 3 of those groups were just last year, in an era you yourself said is much harder to get songs in the top 100 in.

What's the likelihood we see any of these recent 5th gen groups making it into the top 100 of the year-end charts? And one of those groups is a YG girl group, which makes that more than likely outcome even more unbelievable.

I'm not here to crap on the 5th gen, but I don't think anyone is being a hypocrite here. The 4th gen didn't debut at the top (well a couple did last year), but they weren't utter jokes on the charts. Not by a longshot.

• TripleS now too? How far back are they going to go? At this rate the 5th gen creep will be even worse than 4th gen :skull:

inb4 NewJeans and 50/50 start getting called 5th gen too

They are calling all 2023 groups are 5th gen.

So 4th lasted only 5 years 2018,2019,2020,2021,2022 and some people say 2018 is not 4th gen that makes 4th gen just 4 years long

• 4th Gen was started with Idol School show, and fromis_9 is the first 4th gen girl group

• Yeah but they started strong, unlike these so called "5th Gen" groups that are not even charting

Only 4th gen GGs start out strong and eventually surpass some 3rd gen GGs records. Sadly 4th gen BGs are not as dominant, feels like only GGs impacting the new gen train.. Before this, it was the BGs.. Exo started the 3rd gen with their dominance and the BTS came and obliterate majority of records held by 1st and 2nd gen. Right now if we are being honest, impactful debuts for me started with aespa, IVE and newjeans. G-idle, Itzy, Izone all are like 3.5 gen. An in between, good debut but not as dominant.

• They are calling all 2023 groups are 5th gen.

So 4th lasted only 5 years 2018,2019,2020,2021,2022 and some people say 2018 is not 4th gen that makes 4th gen just 4 years long

but you know, it's a pretty good idea to promote my faves. Like, "dude, are you still listen aespa? Stop digging in oldies, join 5th gen along with KISS OF LIFE"

• Everything you sighted here is field with wrong information, first G-idle peaked at number 14 on melon

IMG_1121.png

And Itzy made their debut in early 2019 and scored number 1 on melon

• Everything you sighted here is field with wrong information, first G-idle peaked at number 14 on melon

IMG_1121.png

And Itzy made their debut in early 2019 and scored number 1 on melon

I was talking about #1 (gaon specifically) not #14 on melon realtime chart. Every other idol group could chart top 20 on melon realtime chart

Their best performing single in 2018 peaked at 58 on melon daily chart , their first single never even entered the top 100 and peaked at 36k ul. So not exactly much better than ygs latest group id say.

Fact of the matter is it took gidle 4 years before they scored a #1 hit.

--
    As for dalla dalla, yes you are right (i was looking at the wrong column and read it as released in 2020), it was released in 2019. It still never got #1 on melon daily (peaked at 3) and to this day is still their best performing track they have released.

I mean datapoints might very well indicate 4th gen did better just at the start by some %, i cant say im an expert on it, my point is they had the same "criticism" posted about them in the beginning just like this thread, no matter how much better or not they performed out of the gate when the generation started. In those first years (2018-2020) none considered fourth gen to be anywhere close to the top of third gen, and every singel achivement post was prefixed with *for 4th gen basically.

(AS for latata charting at 81 on gaon yearly chart back in 2018, it doesnt mean much really. It was released in the first half of the year accumulating points and im guessing got most of it from mass downloads which was still a thing then, the song peaked at 36k ul on melon daily and never ranked in top 100 even, back when 800k+ ul was the norm for the top song.

(Gaon yearly calendar chart is a pretty useless overall for comparisions))

It takes time and alot of failed acts on the way to reach the peak in a generation so to say, and just because there isnt a new equivialent of bts or new jeans in the first what, year? (i have no idea of when 5th gen is considered to have started even), i dont think it makes much sense to compare them to 4th gen as it is, when they are or on their 6th year coming up. Out of 20-30 acts? we have 4-5 groups from 4th gen so far that are considered to be succesful (at least when speaking of korean charts)

How many groups today are considered to be of the fifth generation?

Edited 2 times, last by Kreatin ().

• What about "First 5th gen Girlgroup to sell more than 200,00k albums" or something like that.

No, 4th gen was also arbitrary

Usually there are some attempts then after a year it is decided which are considered new gen

• TripleS now too? How far back are they going to go? At this rate the 5th gen creep will be even worse than 4th gen :skull:

inb4 NewJeans and 50/50 start getting called 5th gen too

Fifty fifty with the first global hit of the 5th generation =O

• This thread contains 40 more posts that have been hidden for guests, please register yourself or login to continue reading.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!