Enough with Korea, now who is the most popular among 4th gen girl group in Japan, the 2nd biggest music market the world?

• Japan is the 2nd biggest music market in the world and definitely worth a lot of money for kpop groups that popular there. We have seen a lot of groups abandoned Korea to solely focus their promotion in Japan.

I have read a discussion last year about which 4th gen gg is the most popular in Japan and there was a huge fight from few fandom (I don’t think I should name but it was a fight between 2 fandom mostly) saying their faves definitely worth the tittle. Now I wonder if it is still up to debate or if we have clear winner now? But the competition among 4th gen gg in Japan definitely more intense than in 3rd gen where Twice sweep everything from sales, tours to charts.

But the question is, who the most popular 4th gen girl group currently Japan?

• While Japan is the 2nd biggest music market in the world for all types of music, for Kpop groups in general it is the biggest music market in the world.

However, I can see some groups in the next couple of years, just like bts, bp and twice, do just as well or even better in the US.

fyi for the really successful groups such as bts, twice and bp, revenue from Korea is peanuts, compared to what they get in the US and Japan.

• I only know STAYC's Poppy went viral

NiziU is superpopular but well dunno if you can call them full kpop

also remember about ITZY too

and when Kep1er performs then there is always full audience

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• NewJeans or Lsf?

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

BLACKPINKJESSICANEWJEANSSEJEONGTHE ROSETWICEYERIN BAEKYUKIKA

d5d89d5cd0ded673ad05b4ad8aa66c2a681af589.webpdd50b6cd6932ff0d00806a3981d3928185ee94c1.webp889793cb4f55d557baefb7c564c4b94a3129681d.webp

• I think It depends? Digitally, NewJeans dominate, physically is Le Sserafim and, so far, aespa has the best touring stats.

I suppose It will take some time to define a clear winner.

This is the best response.

It's worth mentioning NewJeans haven't done any official promotions of a Japanese single or have any Japanese members, and yet their music is still so rapidly consumed over there and charts well.

I'm curious what they can do if they actually did official Japanese promos.

• Japan is the biggest in the world for Kpop if we go by streams.

Albums I would imagine Korea is still the biggest.

By Streams top 7

1. Japan; 9.7 billion streams in 2023

2. The United States follows closely with 9.2 billion streams this year

3. Indonesia has shown a significant penchant for K-Pop, with 7.48 billion streams in 2023

4. South Korea; recorded 7.3 billion streams this year

5. India; With 6.2 billion streams in 2023

6. The Philippines has contributed 4.28 billion streams this year

7. Mexico has also joined the K-Pop bandwagon with 3.5 billion streams in 2023.

link to source

I assume this does not count streams in China because they may not be able to get a good number from there.

• Dont know cause I dont keep up withother groups but my faves are definitely doing well thank u very much

Also this random ass thing Gaeul said that got 100k likes on japanese twitter lmao

20231030_194512.jpg

Their fancon was packed

20231030_194710.jpg

narcissistic, my god i love it

JCsIq3Q.gif

• I’m going to say Le sserafim, and it’s not even because I’m a fan. I think it's known to many that sakura is really popular in Japan and China, which is most likely one of the reasons hybe signed with her. With just their debut album, Billboard Japan reported that they have sold 421,886 copies, which became the best-selling single ever released by a K-pop group in history. With good promotions, these girls could catch up with big local Japanese girl groups, and they’re already on their way to making it there. Their Japanese promo is paying off, and I believe that alone opens opportunities for Le sserafim in Japan.

네가 참 궁금해 그건 너도 마찬가지 (ooh, ooh)...

• i saw this online:

LSF > NJ >= IVE > Aespa > Kep1er

1. Le Sserafim so far is the only one dominating the Oricon sales with great charting on BB Hot 100 JP. Antifragile stayed for 40 weeks only to be surpassed by New Jeans and they are currently the highest-selling female artist on Oricon in 2023. Multiple platinum RIAJ certifications. Their next tours in Tokyo Dome and Kyocera Dome should child play for them.

2. NewJeans has the longest charting songs out of all with Ditto but despite that, it didn't really translate to sales for them. Get Up generated around 40,000 sales, as opposed to the korean version of Unforgiven's 100,000 sales. They do have great potential for huge growth

3. IVE sold out the Yokohama Arena in less than 10 minutes. They are pretty consistent with their releases so far.

4. Aespa is pretty weak compared to the groups above them in all charting metrics but they are the first one to sell out the Tokyo Dome.

5. Kep1er had a decline in popularity but they have strong touring numbers and a pretty solid fanbase.

Makes sense imo, lsf at top for now, with nwjns have INCREDIBLE gp pull and ive charting N touring well + having wony as the most popular 4th gen idol rn (in japan too i think)

and why aespa is lower:

My World sold 53k on Oricon and Unforgiven sold about 120k. Le sserafim’s songs also chart high on Apple Music Japan, YouTube music Japan, while aespa’s never do. Le sserafim has two songs certified RIAJ Platinum, 2 songs RIAJ gold, and aespa has none certified platinum yet despite a couple years head start.

kepler also seems pretty popular, stayc too!

but tbh it's great to see how in 4th gen, there are so many top ggs!

(source: reddit)

• I don't think we have a clear winner in Japan for 4 gen ggs.

Digital: NJ

Fanbase: LSF or Aespa (depending on which stats we choose (album or touring).

IVE is a combination of both but their stats are not at the top( they are top 2 in physical? and touring)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!